Birmingham Travel Answers

change location
halikowski's Profile Photo

parking nearby Birmingham airport

by halikowski Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Does anyone know if one can park for 12 hours in the village of Bickenhill which is nearby? The official parking lots are all 4.5 miles away, you have to wait for transfer buses which only come every 30 minutes, so I am trying to find my own solution. Thanks for any tips,. Stefan

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • tango_jd's Profile Photo

Re: parking nearby Birmingham airport

by tango_jd Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 9:44 AM

It is a very difficult journey from Bickenhill to the airport - longer than it looks on a map anyway.. There is no easy way across the busy A45 road so you would end-up spending 30 minutes walking! The off-site parking options are OK - I've used them a few times and they drop you right at the door - the on-site long-stay car parks are the best of course with an easy walk or a short shuttle bus ride to the terminals. I can't see an obvious parking place in Bickenhill - there is an area outside the church but I am not sure if there are any restrictions or if it's private land or not. Bickenhill village is a small collection of farms and dwellings along very narrow country lanes. All in all I wouldn't consider leaving a vehicle there for any length of time.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 10:36 AM

I agree. It is very unlikely that there will be easy long-term parking in any village near any UK airport, for obvious reasons (would you like people to park in your village for days on end?) and I certainly wouldn't consider doing it. .

I like Long Stay 1, because it is so very easy to access the terminals (on foot or by bus)....but I'm always staying for longer than 12 hours, of course.

Depending on where you live and your timings, you might consider leaving the car behind and taking the train to Birmingham International (which does have good services). There's a free monorail shuttle thing from there to T1:

"Birmingham Airport" - Plane Tip by leics

Be the first to rate this answer!

• halikowski's Profile Photo

by halikowski Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 5:47 AM

Trains only start their services at 6 am. Too late. First Budapest metro is 4.08, by contrast. Hate British airports, they are so user unfriendly. I guess 15 pounds per day is normal for them to just park your car, 'parking' is the productive sector of their economy. It's true Brits don;t like it if you park in their villages, I've had more than my share of broken car windows. Even on the public street where I live, they wander around with cones and planks of wood sectioning off areas they claim to be 'theirs' even though it's public. 'Low' price parking solutions at airports 5 miles away with an hour riding around on dirty shuttles. From a continental European perspective one wonders that they don't have other more important things to worry about.

• tango_jd's Profile Photo

by tango_jd Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 6:05 AM

halikowski wrote: Trains only start their services at 6 am. Too late. First Budapest metro is 4.08, by contrast. Hate British airports, they are so user unfriendly. I guess 15 pounds per day is normal for them to just park your car, 'parking' is the productive sector of their economy. It's true Brits don;t like it if you park in their villages, I've had more than my share of broken car windows. Even on the public street where I live, they wander around with cones and planks of wood sectioning off areas they claim to be 'theirs' even though it's public. 'Low' price parking solutions at airports 5 miles away with an hour riding around on dirty shuttles. From a continental European perspective one wonders that they don't have other more important things to worry about.

I have used the off-site parking which uses a shuttle bus and it was most successful. the bus was OK - not posh, certainly, but perfectly OK. If its not during rush-hour then the transfer time is about 15 mins which compares well with the time it takes to walk from some areas of the on-site car parks. But, yes, you do have to take a few minutes to "book-in" and wait for the bus to leave. Their web site states that these are every 10 - 15 minutes I think.

But - if it's "posh" you want, then the expensive valet services and "meet and greet" services are there for you.

Anyway, Bickenhill village is not a good option for you. Maybe Birmingham long-stay parking plus a taxi is an option but I would just go for the coach shuttle car parking if you want convenience and a reasonable price. Works out at about the price of a coupel of drinks per day!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines