Billings Travel Answers

change location

moving by billings....any info please!!

by longhornlover2 Online Now Aug 1, 2006 at 6:00 PM

we are moving north of billings by roundup. can anyone give me their opinions good or bad of the area. i have been there, but never spent any time there. i am used to rural life, and i hope it is somewhat of a friendly town. what is the weather like? any good hiking or camping near by? i tried to check out the chamber of commerce site, but it is not online at current time. i can find billings info, but not much on roundup. i do remember eating at an a&w in roundup though, is it still open? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • fritzrl's Profile Photo

RE: moving by billings....any info please!!

by fritzrl Online Now Aug 3, 2006 at 10:16 AM

Hi, LHL2 -

By way of initial response, I'll cut/paste a quote from myself out of an earlier question someone had about moving to MT. Bear in mind, I haven't been in the area for some time, so YMMV. Roundup, when I last saw it, was a typical MT small town, with 'one of everything': grocery store, gas station, hardware store, bar/tavern, restaurant. I would be surprised if it hasn't grown some since then, but I wouldn't expect a heckuva *lot* more than that, even now. Roundup is a reasonable drive (by MT standards, anyway) away from Billings and some other larger towns, and it's not uncommon for MT residents to drive 2-3 hours from one place to the other to get what they need. Heck, when I was still living there, a 2-hour drive to share a cup of coffee with a friend was no big deal.

Anyway, my info about Billings:

I grew up in Billings, and that town seems to be still pretty much what it was when I lived there: offering a little bit of everything, but not too much of anything. Billings remains the economic 'engine' of the east side of the state, though, so the employment picture in Billings is usually pretty reliable -- important in a state which has had more than its share of economic ups 'n' downs. If finding a decent job (something a bit better than McDonalds or Starbucks) once you move is a issue, Billings or Missoula may be your best bets.

Billings, though not scenically spectacular in its own right, is ideally situated relative to a number of very lovely places: Yellowstone Park, Teton National Park, the Beartooth mountain range (and others) come to mind -- all within an easy day's drive. Summers are hot and dry, Winters are on the mild side, as the town sits deep down into a river valley. Billings has two small colleges, with the civic amenities (theater, art, music) which come with them. I would typify the socio-political climate of Billings as progressive, but not necessarily liberal.

Hope this is of some help.

Fritzrl

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: RE: moving by billings....any info please!!

by 4ujlvr2 Online Now Aug 3, 2006 at 7:00 PM

thanks so much for the quick reply. the town i live by now has only 400 people, with a large city not far away. i actually drive almost an hour to work now, and i will actually be cutting down on that. the weather sounds ok to me, thanks for sharing your info. i too like you have driven quite a distance just to have a chat with a friend. enjoy your night!

• Dymphna1's Profile Photo

Re: moving by billings....any info please!!

by Dymphna1 Online Now Mar 25, 2009 at 9:21 AM

How did your move go?

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines