Big Sur

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• neighborhoods

Santa Barbara 2 hours ago

Considering a property near W Anapamu St & Bath for 3 month rental. Looks like it's a walkable neighborhood
      but is it a safe one?! Thanks for any input.

more
    • Travel between devore heights and santa monica

Devore Heights Apr 12, 2014 at 1:51 PM

Is there a commuter train between devore heights and santa monica?

more
    • GustavoH's Profile Photo

July 14, someone?

Santa Monica Apr 3, 2014 at 5:59 AM

then i´ll staying in santa monica in July, someone will be there??

more
    • Brazil and the WORLD CUP

California Mar 28, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Anyone from the bay area planning to go to the world cup in Brazil this year? or is planning to be in Brazil in June?
      I'm looking for a group of people to go with!

more
    • Itinerary - Muir Woods

Muir Woods National Monument Mar 25, 2014 at 6:32 AM

I have looked at the NPS and various other guides but none of them seem to have conclusive information as to where the giant Redwoods are located - from what I understand they are located in and around Fern Woods/Mill Valley. Any suggestions please

Many thanks

more
    • Where to park/leave my bicycle?

San Francisco Mar 22, 2014 at 5:08 PM

I'm renting a bike in SF and if I were to go inside a store or restaurant where would I leave it?
      I'm planning to eat lunch in chinatown so what do I do with my bike?

Thanks

more
    • Car needed in Anaheim?

Anaheim Mar 24, 2014 at 8:56 AM

We are heading to the NCAA tourney in Anaheim this week, staying at the Doubletree in Anaheim /Orange Co. Is a car a necessity? I see there is a super shuttle from the airport. Would we be stranded without a car, or would that just be a hassle? Just wondering if we are in walking distance to restaurants, etc.

more
    • Carmel by the sea dos and don'ts?

Carmel-by-the-Sea 13 hours ago

We will be in Carmel next week , is it true that ladies should not wear high heels?
      Anything else we need to bear in mind apart from ......if you see Clint ,do not even look at him just mind one's own business!

more
    • Photography

Channel Islands Apr 11, 2014 at 11:55 AM

This will be our first visit to the islands. What is the best full day cruise for seeing as many of the islands as possible with photography in mind?

more
    • Hotel advice

San Francisco Apr 9, 2014 at 6:13 PM

Hello, could you tell me is the Best Western Americana( on 7 th street) in San Francisco an alright hotel for convenience ( easy to get around) price, safety and so on?

more
    • Tours of Los Angeles

Los Angeles Apr 9, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Hi can anyone please recommend a good tour of LA that cover the usual touristy things please?

more
    • LA to San Fran via Death Valley.

Death Valley National Park Mar 30, 2014 at 2:11 AM

My friend and I are planning to drive from LA to San Fran via DV over 2 days.
      Is it possible to see some of the landmarks in this time frame? Which ones do you suggest?
      And where would you recommend staying for the night as a halfway mark?
      Thanks in advance.

more
    • Yosemite and Sequoia in April 3rd week

Yosemite National Park Apr 11, 2014 at 4:50 PM

We are a few friends meeting up in Fresno for our trip to Yosemite and Sequoia. We reach Fresno on the night of 16th April, and we have until the afternoon of 20th April to get back to Fresno. I understand that many roads would be closed during this time of the year. Please help us plan our itinerary, how much time to spend where etc.. We are interested in easy-moderate hikes.

more
    • millyprett23's Profile Photo

Hostels to stay in near Union Station LA

Los Angeles Apr 5, 2014 at 7:26 AM

Hello all!

I am flying into LAX next Sunday at 9pm and I am looking for a place to stay until I get my AMTRAX train from Union Station up to San Francisco on Tuesday morning.

I am planning to go straight from the airport to a hostel / hotel near Union station where I can sleep and recover from Jet lag. I want to stay by Union Station the following Monday day and night so I can be near by to collect my train on the tuesday morning.

Does anybody recommend the best / cheapest way to get from LAX to Union Station on a Sunday night?

Does anybody have any recommendations for places to stay near Union Station?

I am thinking a cheap and friendly youth hostel?

Also, what type of area is Union Station in?
      Are there any interesting places in walking distance?
      Coffee shops or parks where I can just chill for the afternoon?

I really look forward to hearing from you!
      Many thanks,

Milly, London

more
    • Information on transportation from airport to fishermans wharf

San Francisco Apr 14, 2014 at 7:56 PM

So we are flying into San Francisco and driving down to Big Sur for a wedding. After the wedding our plan is to go back to San Francisco drop off our rental car and stay and tour for abit. My question is what would be our best bet for getting for the airport to our hotel down on fishermans wharf? There will be six of us.

more
    • trolleyhow to use it and how to get advance tickets

San Diego Mar 30, 2014 at 12:50 AM

can i take the trolly from the stadiume to the convention center and how late does it run,since i work till 12.30am

more
    • Water falls

Yosemite National Park Mar 23, 2014 at 12:45 AM

what will the water falls be like in late August we will be on a one day visit from san francisco is a bus best or hire car 7 drive our selves

more
    • Historic National Parks/Factory Outlet

California Mar 19, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Reading the guide books there are so many historic parks - probably all with a slightly different twist, so please which are the ones to see and which are the ones to avoid.

Our plan, Tioga Pass being open in mid June is as follows:

Depart Cedar Lodge Yosemite - drive via Lee Vining and visit Bodie State Historic Park - is this worth visitng?
      Continue to West Walker Motel Coleville -over night stop

Stop at Chester Lake 1 night

Stop at Lake Tahoe 2 nights and then on to outskirts of Sacramento 2 nights - the following parks seem within possible striking distance of these destinations:

more
    • tour buses

San Francisco Apr 8, 2014 at 7:12 AM

is any one tour bus company better than another ? specifically thinking about Muir Woods/Sausalito for one trip and Yosemite for another.

more
    • Yosemite National Park and Sonoma and Napa Valley

Yosemite National Park Apr 7, 2014 at 3:48 PM

We are going to SFO the first week of May. What are the major points to visit in Yosemite Park? Can you see enough in a day? Next, we want to travel to Sonoma and Napa Valley? Do you recommend both, or one over the other. We have 4 days to do these things and then we will be in SFO for a week for a conference. Can you recommend places to stat in Yosemite and Sonoma/Napa Valley?

more
    • transportation to coronado island

Coronado Mar 24, 2014 at 8:54 AM

We need ground transportation from the San Diego train station to Marietta Bay Inn on Coronado Island for 6 people what is available?

more
    • where to stay?

Los Angeles 21 hours ago

hi am looking forward to going to los angeles this summer for about 7 nights and cant find where to stay. one plan i was thinking was stay in downtown LA (or somewhere around there idk ive never been) maybe hollywood or west hollywood for a couple nights but also want some good views cus i love to take pictures,and then stay in santa monica for a couple nights? probably not tho since that might be a little to expensive..plan on renting a car too because everything is far apart(so ive read)im a big tourist lol but i want to do all the stuff in hollywood,griffith park,go to staples center,santa monica the beach,the pier venice beach/boardwalk maybe see a movie at the beach,laguna beach bunch of stuff lol universal studios and anything else u guys might recommend? anybody know any hotels that offers the most value or bang for your buck.thanks

more
    • General travellng

California Mar 20, 2014 at 7:21 PM

I'm planning on travelling along the west coast for a month in May. I was wondering does anyone have any tips on the best methods of transport to use without access to a car. Many thanks in advance.

more
    • RV TRIP 1 Month

California Apr 6, 2014 at 6:05 AM

Hi all, I wonder if you can help ! Myself and my Family with 3 kids 13, 12 and 11 are coming to Califonia in August we have rented a RV and plan on doing a bit of sight seeing. this is our current planned trip, can I have your advice on if you think anything should change ??

5 Night in LA
      Newport Beach area for 1 night 2 days.
      San Diego 2 nights
      Stay on route to Grand Canyon
      Over night stay Grand Canyon
      Leave GC for Las Vegas stopping off at Hoover Dam
      3 whole days and night in Las Vegas
      Death Valley Area 51 etc over night stay
      Leave DV for Yosemite 1 and half days there
      Move to Monterey bat stopping off at Sequoia National Park
      1 day and 3 nights in San Fran

Also do you think we should book RV parks in advance your advice would be fantastic thanks Mike

more
    • GustavoH's Profile Photo

City near LA

Santa Monica Mar 20, 2014 at 7:25 AM

whitch city near LA it is good to visit?

more
    • Waves and surf?

by slsl60 Online Now Jan 21, 2014 at 12:55 PM

I would like to photograph the Big Sur coast in March, if possible, when the waves will be big. Should I wait until the end of March so as to avoid as much rain as possible? I want sunny days.

4 Answers Jan 23, 2014 at 7:28 PM
    • Will i be o.k if I have Fear of heights and at times get motion sickness?

by Lorrainesco Online Now Nov 1, 2013 at 6:05 AM

I have a fear of heights and can motion sickness from windy roads however I am thinking about driving from san Francisco to Big Sur and back. I am nervous after reading some of these comments I may be in trouble. Has anyone who has fear of heights gone this drive and found it wasn't that bad? The same question for people who get motion sickness, anyone who normally gets motion sickness successfully got through this drive without getting sick? This drive looks so amazing I would love to go but my husband is worrying it may not be worth it if I get sick and am in fear the whole time.

14 Answers Nov 2, 2013 at 11:41 AM
    • Tent Camp site - All or mostly paved...

by weavermarkr Online Now Aug 7, 2013 at 12:27 PM

I would like to know of a nice and available tent camping site that is either completely paved or nearly so...I will be there on a Harley Davidson touring bike, which is not real keen on dirt. Thanks so much!

2 Answers Aug 7, 2013 at 1:07 PM
    • robbye77's Profile Photo

From Big Sur to San Francisco

by robbye77 Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Hi all, here I am again...
      I'm planning to drive from S. Francisco to Big Sur enjoying the landscape on the way down, and driving straight back to S. Francisco airport, staying overnight in Big Sur.
      My question is: do you think I can easily drive back in the morning to catch a flight leaving early in the afternoon or is it too risky? I can't get an idea of the time needed to drive the distance...!

10 Answers Feb 14, 2013 at 12:42 PM
    • happydancer's Profile Photo

Returning back to Santa Barbara from Yosemite

by happydancer Online Now Jan 14, 2012 at 1:48 PM

we want to spend a night on the coast as we head back down to SB we are on a budget, where would you recommend we stay for one night? Thanks

3 Answers Jan 18, 2012 at 5:13 PM
    • Driving to Hearst Castle

by donwtait Online Now Nov 20, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Planning a daytrip to and back from Hearst Castle from Santa Clara & wondered if:
      1. Is it too much to try to do in one day?
      2. Is a Sunday or a (Mon/Tue) the better day choice for less for traffic, etc?
      3. Is driving Rte 1 trouble in the night and should take different route back to Santa Clara ?

Any help would be appreciated..

5 Answers Nov 22, 2011 at 11:16 PM
    • happydancer's Profile Photo

California Dreamin Trip being planned starting in Santa Barbara

by happydancer Online Now Nov 13, 2011 at 10:23 AM

will be coming in May 2012 with my 23 yr old daughter and I need info on a couple of places to stay, a cabin, cottage would like small place with frig and microwave, coffee maker of course we are on a budget. We plan to be in this area for 4 days and then head to Yosemite. Any suggestions most welcomed. Thanks

5 Answers Nov 19, 2011 at 12:56 PM
    • big sur road washed away

by michelleinsydney Online Now Apr 3, 2011 at 10:41 AM

We were planning to drive down the big sur but heard it got washed away near bixby bridge. Can we still get to Garrapata state beach? if we cant drive the big Sur, where else can we go? What is the alternative route south to get to Cambria?

3 Answers Apr 3, 2011 at 10:00 PM
    • sea otters

by michelleava Online Now Feb 12, 2011 at 9:26 PM

I will be driving from San Francisco down to Cambria in mid-april. I know I can hire a kayak and do a boat ( whale watch) trip in Monterey bay to see sea otters. Is there anywhere else along the coast where you can reliably see and photograph sea otters, particularly from a boat.

3 Answers Feb 14, 2011 at 8:59 PM
    • Back country camping question fro Big Sur Area

by badland11 Online Now Nov 19, 2010 at 8:57 PM

Hi,

I am looking to go camping with 2-3 friends in this area in mid December. We are all experienced backpackers, and are looking to get away from the mainstream campsites (not that anything will be too full this time of year). We would like to hike 5-10 miles into a campground (or area where we can make one). Any river/stream fishing near the camping area would be a bonus, but not necessary.

Does anyone have any suggestions? They would be much appreciated. We have all camped in the Big Sur area, but usually in more popular campsites, and have not managed to get away from everyone else.

Thanks.

-Eben

6 Answers Nov 20, 2010 at 3:12 PM
    • matt.safrica's Profile Photo

Driving the Big Sur - advice

by matt.safrica Online Now Aug 18, 2010 at 8:00 PM

Hi all,

I would love some advice please. We will be arriving in San Francisco in 3 weeks time. After a few days acclimatizing we will be driving down to Santa Barbara for a few days and then back up to San Franciso, with stops at Solvang and San Luis Obispo on the way. What I'm unsure of is this...is it better to drive the Big Sur on the way down to Santa Barbara? Or is it better to drive it when we return back up to San Francisco?

Many thanks, Matt

3 Answers Aug 18, 2010 at 10:44 PM
    • valerie7277's Profile Photo

Esalen

by valerie7277 Online Now Aug 18, 2010 at 9:43 AM

Hi -- I'm looking to book massage appointments and visit the hot springs at Esalen. Any tips? Is it worth the extra money to stay the night there or just find another place in Big Sur?

Thanks!
      Valerie

24 Answers Aug 20, 2010 at 7:10 AM
    • last minute Big Sur getaway memorial day weekend?

by sadielady Online Now May 24, 2010 at 2:55 PM

I'm looking for one or two nights (Fri, Sat, or both) Memorial day weekend and I'm striking out. Anyone have a cabin or vacation rental with one or both of these nights available or have any tips for me for finding one? I've contacted all those on vrbo.com and craigslist and not having luck. All ideas welcome, and thank you in advance!!

2 Answers May 25, 2010 at 5:05 PM
    • Coming to Big Sure in December...

by LocalVagabond Online Now Nov 10, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Hello this is my first post in the forum. It seems to have a lot of great info. I am looking for some good hikes in December. Ideally I'd like to spend 3-4 days hiking and camping any recommendations. My final destination is the LA area. Is there any hikes that would take me from the Big Sur area to within a couple hrs (driving) to LA? Any info or input is appreciated so long as it pertains to the central coast or just great day hikes. Are camping spots open in Dec. I am open for any suggestions and appreciate any guidance :) I'm coming from PA so not too familiar with the West Coast.

3 Answers Nov 12, 2009 at 8:19 PM
    • Beach at MCWay Falls

by ggrose Online Now Nov 10, 2009 at 2:52 PM

Does anyone know a route to the beach shoreline at McWay Falls? I'd like to snap some pics from that vantage point

3 Answers Nov 11, 2009 at 8:28 AM
    • Big Sur current conditions.

by billyg93 Online Now Mar 2, 2009 at 6:27 AM

I am coming to San Francisco at the end of March and was going to drive down to Big Sur to do some hiking. I know there were some fires about a year or so ago. How are the conditions for hiking and should I still come here or is it best to head to another area? Any recommended hikes are also welcome. Tks. Bill.

1 Answer Mar 2, 2009 at 2:11 PM
    • Will Hwy 1 be safe in the rain on Christmas Eve

by franciagaunt Online Now Dec 20, 2008 at 10:09 AM

Rain is predicted on Christmas Eve in Big Sur. I will be driving up in the dark. This is suppose to be an enjoyable, although short trip. Any insight on the road conditions of Hwy 1 and would it be better to postpone?

Any input from informed individuals will be appreciated.

Francia

7 Answers Dec 24, 2008 at 9:47 AM
    • climbing and hiking in big sur in the winter

by judahlev Online Now Sep 30, 2008 at 1:29 PM

anyone know about rockcliming/bouldering as well as hiking/backpacking oppurtunities in big sur in January. I don't know what the weather is like over there and what the options are...

4 Answers Nov 1, 2008 at 11:05 AM
    • phil_and_den's Profile Photo

Carmel by The Sea to San Luis Obispo

by phil_and_den Online Now Aug 23, 2008 at 5:05 AM

Hi

Driving from Carmel to San Luis Obispo in September.

Would ideally like to book a tour of Hearst Castle, but am worried about rushing through the Big Sur.

This is our first trip to this region, and hotels are booked either end.

Would you recommend not tying ourselves up with the Castle, or do you think we could fit it in?

Suggested iterniaries and estimated timescales would be most welcome

many thanks

Phil

4 Answers Aug 25, 2008 at 2:47 PM
    • imdeg's Profile Photo

Beach Bonfires??

by imdeg Online Now May 31, 2008 at 10:53 PM

I'm heading to Big Sur for a weekend in a few weeks, and was wondering if any of the local beaches allow bonfires??

2 Answers Jun 12, 2008 at 5:29 PM
    • Another question on the drive from LA to Monterey, Bigsur..

by vishnuprasadh Online Now Aug 25, 2007 at 3:16 PM

Hi All,

I will drive up from LA to monterey and was wondering the best of the routes. Mapquest, google and yahoo provide options which are different.
      Option 1 : I-5 to CA 46W to 101N to CA68W
      Option 2 : I-5 to CA 152 to CA 156 to CA 1S
      Option 3 : I-5 to CA 33(1.5miles) to CA 198 to 101N to CA68W.

Also on my way back, I plan to go from Monterey-BigSur-SanSimeon and then connect somewhere onto I5 rather than drive CA 1. Since, am the only driver, driving so much could be stressful and want to ensure that I opt the best.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks very much guys.VT folks have always been very helpful..chz

5 Answers Aug 26, 2007 at 9:24 AM
    • BigSur...have 2 days, suggestions please?

by vishnuprasadh Online Now Aug 18, 2007 at 12:35 PM

Hi All,
      Myself and my wife plan to spend around 4-5 days around the place of Monterey, BigSur and Hearst castle. I plan to drive down from LA to Monterey and spend the night there...
      On first day, take the 17 mile drive(need booking?), walk around cannery row, visit aquarium for the day..then move on to BigSur.
      Second day, just do some hiking around Bigsur's Point Lobos SR..and plan to relax here for 2 days.
      On the final day, drive towards Hearst castle(obviously need to book in advance) and drive back to LA.

Since I am visiting the place the first time, want to know :
      a) Is there something else am missing out in Monterey/Carmel..like a visit/hiking trip to Garland Ranch Regional Park worth ?
      b) I thought of doing hiking in Bigsur,we are just begineers and want to get some nice views around BigSur and dont want to miss em..any suggestions you have here?
      c) Since am planning to spend 2 days in BigSur want to know if its worth and could I do something more there?

Any pointers would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

6 Answers Aug 20, 2007 at 12:27 PM
    • Big Sur/Hwy 1: Nacimiento-Ferguson Road

by bandjbarclay Online Now Jul 31, 2007 at 9:30 AM

My wife & I from UK have been visiting Big Sur for 30 years but have never ventured far up the Nacimiento Road. Know it is all unpaved but some sources say "best avoided" although the views are magnificent..we are coming mid-October, will be driving from LA & SLO up to Big Sur & thought it might be good instead of going via Ragged Point etc. as usual, to go via Paso Robles & the Fort Hunter Liggett base and across the Sta Lucia mountains using the Nacimiento-Ferguson road. Can anyone reassure us that it will (normally) be passable please? If so, should we upgrade the rental car to a 4WD SUV? Any advice gratefully received.

8 Answers Jan 25, 2008 at 5:47 PM
    • How to Get to Big Sur...

by Tenn4ever Online Now Apr 4, 2007 at 7:33 PM

We're visiting Big Sur in early June. We'll be arriving in California(driving) from Reno. I really wanted to travel up the coast from Big Sur (south to north) but upon studying the map it appears that it's going to be more practical to start from the north and travel south. Any thoughts on this?

7 Answers Apr 6, 2007 at 12:56 PM
    • Big Sur in March

by Nelida65 Online Now Feb 26, 2007 at 1:10 PM

I will be traveling from NJ to LA in March. I am interested in taking the drive to BIG SUR from Burbank CA. Is there a specific point that has breathtaking views and cafe, shopping in all in one? Will just be going for the day.

Thanks

6 Answers Mar 1, 2007 at 12:34 PM
    • big sur in june?

by ricko60 Online Now Jan 29, 2007 at 11:12 AM

Hello,
      I am planning to visit the Big Sur area with my family around June 16th - 19th this year. I was wondering how prevalent the "fog" is that time of year in the Big Sur area, since we would like to catch some of the famous views of the Pacific (i.e. Ewoldsen Loop in Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park). Also, how about bugs, etc. that time of year when hiking in that area?

Thanks!
      Rick O.

1 Answer Jan 29, 2007 at 11:14 AM
    • giampiero6's Profile Photo

Big Sur Place Suggestions, Please!

by giampiero6 Online Now Nov 18, 2006 at 5:59 PM

Hi Guys...I'm taking a road trip with some friends for my birthday...which culminates in SF. On the way up, we'll be staying one night in Big Sur. It's 3 guys on a road trip, enjoying some nature, a few laughs a couple of drinks etc.

Can anyone recommend a place to stay that will be fun and pretty nice. I mean, we're not gonna stay at a swank resort, but I don't want to stay in a flea bag either. Anybody have any suggestions or inside tips?

I'd sure appreciate it! Any other thoughts on things not to miss. I love Nepenthe, so we'll be there for a bite to eat and Pfeiffer beach for sure.

3 Answers Nov 24, 2006 at 10:23 AM
    • sunset times

by mispenry Online Now Feb 28, 2006 at 4:56 PM

I want to know what time the sun sets in big sur in mid-october... any info or ideas of where to get this info is much appreciated!

2 Answers Feb 28, 2006 at 6:55 PM
    • Driving Big Sur

by delsie Online Now Apr 15, 2005 at 11:40 PM

I am coming to the US from Australia where we drive on the LEFT.I have read that Highway1 from Monterey through to Santa Barbara can be very dangerous.I have driven on the right in France and Spain,but having read some reviews of the Big Sur,I wonder if it worse than driving in Europe?I am really worried although I am a good driver.

8 Answers Mar 16, 2007 at 11:01 PM
    • accommodation around July 4th

by Dutch-Dave Online Now Mar 14, 2005 at 12:56 PM

I will be on holiday with my wife in California this summer and I wondered whether I need to book accommodation in advance around the July 4th holiday. I'd prefer to be flexible but wouldn't like to run into the problem of finding everything fully booked.

5 Answers Mar 14, 2005 at 10:33 PM