Big Sur Travel Answers

change location
robbye77's Profile Photo

From Big Sur to San Francisco

by robbye77 Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Hi all, here I am again...
I'm planning to drive from S. Francisco to Big Sur enjoying the landscape on the way down, and driving straight back to S. Francisco airport, staying overnight in Big Sur.
My question is: do you think I can easily drive back in the morning to catch a flight leaving early in the afternoon or is it too risky? I can't get an idea of the time needed to drive the distance...!

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • Agraichen's Profile Photo

Re: From Big Sur to San Francisco

by Agraichen Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Depends on the route but it is easily done in 2 hours or less depending on how far south you travel and the northbound traffic on the day of travel. If it's during the week, 101 will have significant traffic once you get past San Jose. I've had it take 4 hours but that was on a holiday weekend when there was a race at Laguna Seca so there was much more traffic.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • robbye77's Profile Photo

by robbye77 Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Hi, it sounds kinda good news. I'll be driving on monday morning (4th of march) and my flight is due to leave around 2pm. So it looks like leaving by 8am from Big Sur should give me good chances....

Be the first to rate this answer!

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo

by kenHuocj Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 12:04 PM

yes you can easily do it. under 150 miles, three hours with photo stops from Big Sur to SFO airport, http://goo.gl/maps/GVNNv

• Agraichen's Profile Photo

by Agraichen Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Also, check the CalTrans web site http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi for road conditions if you plan to use Hwy 1 for part of your trip north. There are sections under construction and sometimes areas are closed.

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 1:38 PM

To allow proper time for check in for a 2 pm flight I would leave Big Sur no later than 10 am. Traffic is unpredictable and no reason to give yourself unneccesary anxiety. I have a sister in law that lives in Monterey and it has taken as long as 4 hours to make the trip during early weekdays At 10 you should miss most of the northbound traffic but sometimes accidents slow down the traffic even mid-day. I would recommend taking State Highway 68 from Monterey to Salinas to connect to 101 rather than continuing on Highway 1 north of Monterey.

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 1:38 PM

To allow proper time for check in for a 2 pm flight I would leave Big Sur no later than 10 am. Traffic is unpredictable and no reason to give yourself unneccesary anxiety. I have a sister in law that lives in Monterey and it has taken as long as 4 hours to make the trip during early weekdays At 10 you should miss most of the northbound traffic but sometimes accidents slow down the traffic even mid-day. I would recommend taking State Highway 68 from Monterey to Salinas to connect to 101 rather than continuing on Highway 1 north of Monterey.

• Callavetta's Profile Photo

by Callavetta Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Where you'll run into traffic, if you leave Big Sur at 8 am, is from San Jose to SFO, commute traffic. It can be heavy as late as 10 am.

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Big Sur has some amazing hikes. Here is a quick guide that you might find helpful in sorting out which one appeals to you. If you are not a hiker definitely do the McWay Waterfall Trail. Its gorgeous and only 1 km long.

http://www.hikinginbigsur.com/

• yvr's Profile Photo

by yvr Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 3:07 AM

It has been suggested by another poster that you leave Big Sur no later than 10am, you must leave much earlier than that. Leaving around 10am will not give you enough time to drive to the airport, drop your car rental off, take the shuttle to the terminal, check in if you have not already, and clear security. You should plan on close to two hours to take care of car rental, shuttle, check-in and security.

• robbye77's Profile Photo

by robbye77 Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Thank you all for good advices guys! Really appreciate it! Roberto

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines