Big Sur Travel Answers

change location

sea otters

by michelleava Online Now Feb 12, 2011 at 9:26 PM

I will be driving from San Francisco down to Cambria in mid-april. I know I can hire a kayak and do a boat ( whale watch) trip in Monterey bay to see sea otters. Is there anywhere else along the coast where you can reliably see and photograph sea otters, particularly from a boat.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • travelgourmet's Profile Photo

Re: sea otters

by travelgourmet Online Now Feb 13, 2011 at 1:25 AM

I am not sure of a boat in Monterey Bay, but sea otters are known to be in the waters off Pacific Grove from Lovers Point along Ocean View Blvd to Asilomar Ave, by the Pacific Grove Marine Gardens Park with best viewing at low tide. Down in Moonstone Beach, Cambria, sea otters can be found. Look for the kelp beds. For Kayaking and sea otters, in Morro Bay about a 25 minute drive down Hwy 1 from Cambria you can rent Kayaks and paddle around the back bay and out by Morro Rock to find the sea otters, up close. See my time tip for Morro Bay Kayak rentals but the sea otters can be tricky and not that reliable to see: members.virtualtourist.com/v...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: sea otters

by estockman Online Now Feb 14, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Hi, I work at the Monterey County Visitors Center and I would suggest stopping in Moss Landing, which is only 25 minutes north of Monterey Bay. There is a company called Elkhorn Slough Safari which offer boat tours of the area. We always get wonderful feedback from customers about this tour and all of the fun wildlife that they saw, including a large number of sea otters.

• trvlrtom's Profile Photo

Re: sea otters

by trvlrtom Online Now Feb 14, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Estockman has it right. Elkhorn Slough is the place to go.
    Moss Landing also is fun because of the extensive beach for walking. Phil's is popular for casual seafood dining.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines