Big Sur Travel Answers

change location

Back country camping question fro Big Sur Area

by badland11 Online Now Nov 19, 2010 at 8:57 PM

Hi,

I am looking to go camping with 2-3 friends in this area in mid December. We are all experienced backpackers, and are looking to get away from the mainstream campsites (not that anything will be too full this time of year). We would like to hike 5-10 miles into a campground (or area where we can make one). Any river/stream fishing near the camping area would be a bonus, but not necessary.

Does anyone have any suggestions? They would be much appreciated. We have all camped in the Big Sur area, but usually in more popular campsites, and have not managed to get away from everyone else.

Thanks.

-Eben

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • cachaseiro's Profile Photo

Re: Back country camping question fro Big Sur Area

by cachaseiro Online Now Nov 20, 2010 at 12:17 AM

The big sur is pretty regulated and i think you will find it tough to camp rough there.
    You are much better off doing that further up north in California.
    There are a couple of good state beach campsites if you canĀ“t find a place to camp rough so no need to dispair, but for wild camping i would go elsewhere as i think you could easily end up with a ranger chucking you off your spot in the middle of the night at big sur.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Nov 20, 2010 at 12:42 AM

I have done a number of tours through the Big Sur area, and although I have not done much hiking, there is quite a bit of it available. Here are several ideas.

http://www.hikinginbigsur.com/

bigsurcalifornia.org/camping...

"Main stream" is a relative term of course, and you may have found all of these before since you have been there several times already. If so, I apologize, but as for campsites that are "odd the beaten path" so to speak, may not be as easy or simple as you mayexpect. As Clause said above, the area is very much regulated, and |I do know that hiking to self appointed camp grounds in the area is highly frowned upon by the local authorities.

Still, I hope you find what you are looking for. If not, perhaps taking Claus's advise and condsidering heading further up north, - like the Mendocino area, - you may find that there are some "advantages" to hiking up there........(cough cough)......d:o)

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Nov 20, 2010 at 3:50 AM

>there are some "advantages" to hiking up there........(cough cough)

LOL!

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now Nov 20, 2010 at 10:43 AM

If you know the Big Sur area, you would know that there are several camp sites off Hwy 1. The one I am thinking about that does not allow vehicles is Andrew Molera State Park, about 20 miles south of Carmel-by-the-Sea. This is a first come, no reservation camp area and is isolated from the main stream. In December, it could be even more isolated. Check with the Check out two websites that may help out. They are connected, but one explains the park, and the other the trails. Call them for up to date information:

Andrew Molera State Park 1-831-667-231

California State Parks: http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=58

Andrew Molera SP Trail:http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=25208

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Nov 20, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Humboldt County Kate, - Humboldt County......d:o)

I have made it to two "Reggae on the River" concerts/festivals up there, which have become legendary in the reggae world.

youtube.com/watch?v=3FaQvgNe...
    youtube.com/watch?v=tSH6YZZ1...

Apologies to the Original Poster. Did not mean to hijack your thread.....d:o)

• Jamesr3939's Profile Photo

by Jamesr3939 Online Now Nov 20, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Under used and best kept secret of CA is the state parks system. Everybody always thinks of the big national parks when they think of camping. But the CA parks system is well worth looking at. They really run the gambit from ruff n it to specific interests. www.parks.ca.gov

December can be cold, wet, and snow so you are better to look closer to the coast and further south. Obviously, anything toward the Sierra Mtns is out in December. I would look at Regions 3, 4, 6, 12 and maybe the lower parts of 10. December might be a great time to try the desert.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines