Big Sur Travel Answers

change location
matt.safrica's Profile Photo

Driving the Big Sur - advice

by matt.safrica Online Now Aug 18, 2010 at 8:00 PM

Hi all,

I would love some advice please. We will be arriving in San Francisco in 3 weeks time. After a few days acclimatizing we will be driving down to Santa Barbara for a few days and then back up to San Franciso, with stops at Solvang and San Luis Obispo on the way. What I'm unsure of is this...is it better to drive the Big Sur on the way down to Santa Barbara? Or is it better to drive it when we return back up to San Francisco?

Many thanks, Matt

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • travelgourmet's Profile Photo

Re: Driving the Big Sur - advice

by travelgourmet Online Now Aug 18, 2010 at 8:07 PM

If you like to stop along the way and look down at the ocean then going down is the way to go. Also remember that the sun in the afternoon will glare off the water, so driving down early, if no fog, is the best bet. Fog sometimes appears in September and could burn off by noon. Going back up to San Francisco on Hwy 101,after leaving San Luis Obispo is the wine country of Paso Robles. If possible, be overnight in San Luis Obispo (SLO) on a Thursday, for Farmers Market Night in town. See my VT page on the Farmers Market: San Luis Obispo Things to Do Tips by travelgourmet
    If interested, I also have tips for Solvang and area as well as Santa Barbara. A great drive, Hwy 1, enjoy it.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • bocmaxima's Profile Photo

by bocmaxima Online Now Aug 18, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Just from my general vacation experience, it's better to do things like this at the beginning. That way, you're rested and still have that vacation buzz that comes at the beginning of them.
    But I totally agree about the ocean view thing: the viewpoints are all going to be on the right side when you're going south, so it'll be easier to enter and leave them.

• brotherleelove's Profile Photo

by brotherleelove Online Now Aug 18, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Drive it heading South so you can see the amazing views downcoast. Stop at Nepenthe for lunch and you can sit outside and see 50 miles south.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines