Big Sur Travel Answers

change location

Coming to Big Sure in December...

by LocalVagabond Online Now Nov 10, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Hello this is my first post in the forum. It seems to have a lot of great info. I am looking for some good hikes in December. Ideally I'd like to spend 3-4 days hiking and camping any recommendations. My final destination is the LA area. Is there any hikes that would take me from the Big Sur area to within a couple hrs (driving) to LA? Any info or input is appreciated so long as it pertains to the central coast or just great day hikes. Are camping spots open in Dec. I am open for any suggestions and appreciate any guidance :) I'm coming from PA so not too familiar with the West Coast.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • NorCal08's Profile Photo

Re: Coming to Big Sure in December...

by NorCal08 Online Now Nov 10, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Well, first off, Big Sur and LA are separted by 295 miles, and that's driving via Hwy 1 and 101. To hike within a few hours drive would require more time than you have allocated for the task. There are lots of great places to hike in between, but I suggest you research the options first on websites for the CA State Parks (if they aren't closed due to budget cuts), BLM and USFS to get some ideas on what is available. Day hikes seem more realistic. Good luck.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now Nov 10, 2009 at 9:34 PM

Camping near LA is best at Leo Carillo State Park,in Malibu, open year round. I think that for now they are not taking reservations due to State Budget at Carillo but is a first come, first serve basis. I have camped there and it is close to Santa Monica and the LA basin. There is a great 3-4 hour hike called Nicolas Flat trail just east of the park. I haven't stayed in a campground at Big Sur, but the website should help. Big Sur campgrounds are open year round. Being near the Pacific Ocean makes the night air warmer than valley or mountain camping, but it can get moist. See the following websites, two for parks, Big Sur and Los Angeles (Malibu)and one for trails. The one for trails has all the major hikes in the map list including the Big Sur area: bigsurcalifornia.org/camping... and http://leocarrillo.com/hiking.htm
    Trails at: http://www.thishikingtrail.com/

• GlobeTrekr's Profile Photo

by GlobeTrekr Online Now Nov 12, 2009 at 8:19 PM

Check out my Big Sur page for pics of the views from a hiking trail we did. It was beautiful and we hiked in Pfeiffer State Park in Big Sur. The drive from Big Sur down to LA will be more than a couple hours (few-several hours) but it will be memorable. Pacific Coast Highway (PCH 1) is a great, scenic drive that surely you will love.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines