Big Sur Travel Answers

change location

Another question on the drive from LA to Monterey, Bigsur..

by vishnuprasadh Online Now Aug 25, 2007 at 3:16 PM

Hi All,

I will drive up from LA to monterey and was wondering the best of the routes. Mapquest, google and yahoo provide options which are different.
Option 1 : I-5 to CA 46W to 101N to CA68W
Option 2 : I-5 to CA 152 to CA 156 to CA 1S
Option 3 : I-5 to CA 33(1.5miles) to CA 198 to 101N to CA68W.

Also on my way back, I plan to go from Monterey-BigSur-SanSimeon and then connect somewhere onto I5 rather than drive CA 1. Since, am the only driver, driving so much could be stressful and want to ensure that I opt the best.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks very much guys.VT folks have always been very helpful..chz

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • brotherleelove's Profile Photo

Re: Another question on the drive from LA to Monterey, Bigsur..

by brotherleelove Online Now Aug 25, 2007 at 3:34 PM

It will be much more time-consuming (and I think stressful and unnecessary) for you to make your way to I-5 after visiting San Simeon. Instead, continue south from San Simeon on Hwy. 1 to Hwy 101 at San Luis Obispo and take Hwy. 101 south into LA. Hwy. 101 is a major highway in California, not a secondary road, and will bring you right into L.A. with very little effort.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • giampiero6's Profile Photo

by giampiero6 Online Now Aug 25, 2007 at 7:57 PM

Excellent advice. You get the best of the coast and then the 101 is quite nice too and pretty speedy although depending on whe you travel, you may hit traffic in Santa Barbara.

• Re: Another question on the drive from LA to Monterey, Bigsur..

by vishnuprasadh Online Now Aug 25, 2007 at 8:47 PM

THanks very much Guys, How about while driving up..? Even there is US 101 the best option? Pls let me know.

Chz

• brotherleelove's Profile Photo

by brotherleelove Online Now Aug 25, 2007 at 11:22 PM

It definitely is as long as you're heading to Monterey and not first going inland to the cities along I-5. Drive up Hwy. 101 to Salinas and head west to Monterey on Hwy. 68. Simple.

• giampiero6's Profile Photo

by giampiero6 Online Now Aug 26, 2007 at 9:24 AM

Again...agreed. The 101 is quite pleasant with golden hills dotted by lone oak trees...happy cows etc. The 5 is a flat desolate waste land of industrial agriculture. Very ugly and no scenery.

If you do take the 101 try to avoid coming through Santa Barbara during rush hour or weekend beach days Sat. Sunday............

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines