Big Sur Travel Answers

change location

Big Sur in March

by Nelida65 Online Now Feb 26, 2007 at 1:10 PM

I will be traveling from NJ to LA in March. I am interested in taking the drive to BIG SUR from Burbank CA. Is there a specific point that has breathtaking views and cafe, shopping in all in one? Will just be going for the day.

Thanks

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • brotherleelove's Profile Photo

RE: Big Sur in March

by brotherleelove Online Now Feb 26, 2007 at 1:35 PM

Yes. NEPENTHE is the place for you, just south of Big Sur village itself. There's an excellent restaurant and lovely gift shop. If you're driving north on Hwy 1 it'll be a short distance beyond the Deetjen's Big Sur Inn. If the weather is clear you can see for 50 miles down the coastline. The original property was once owned by Orson Welles, who bought it as a lovenest with Rita Hayworth when he was making Citizen Kane.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • HarmoniousBotch's Profile Photo

by HarmoniousBotch Online Now Feb 26, 2007 at 2:29 PM

Perhaps I misunderstand your post... "Will be going just for the day"... Burbank to Big Sur is about a 10 hour drive. The round trip is two hard days or three/four comfortable days.

• atufft's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Big Sur in March

by atufft Online Now Feb 26, 2007 at 8:25 PM

Yes, we will assume you mean Burbank in LA country, not Burbank in Santa Clara county. Mapquest recommends taking I-5 north toward Bakersfield and then Hwy 46 west to Paso Robles before linking up to Hwy 1. It will be a 5 hour drive minimum. About like driving from NY to Alexandria, VA but with different things to see out the window.

• HarmoniousBotch's Profile Photo

by HarmoniousBotch Online Now Feb 26, 2007 at 10:06 PM

Just to avoid confusion: My previous post refers to 101 and 1 all the way, Atufft is referring to I5 much of the way.
    101/1 is slower, has much better scenery. I5 is faster, the only thing to see ( and smell) is the cattle holding pens.

• Jokerit_pl's Profile Photo

by Jokerit_pl Online Now Feb 28, 2007 at 10:47 PM

Nothing more to add to the conversation but..

Burbank in Santa Clara County? Hmm.. if you mean the old Burbank Theater area, that's a named neighborhood, but not a city (plus 350 miles north of LA). I used to drive by it on the way to work when I lived near there a few years back.

• atufft's Profile Photo

by atufft Online Now Mar 1, 2007 at 12:34 PM

Whoops! Need to clarify this. I-5 can't be used much of the way, but from Burbank to Paso Robles area, the scenery, I-5 to Hwy 46, whether you take it by way 101 from LA or via Bakersfield is pretty much of a toss-up in terms of which is better. You won't see the cattle pens that far south in the Central Valley. Mostly mountain backdrop to the valley floor desert, and a few old oil well pumpers. The Hwy 46 route over the coastal range at that point has some redeeming qualities to it and is a pleasant drive The coastal route of congested freeway 101 south of Santa Barbara is no longer spectacular, really.
    Anyway my route is what mapquest recommends as shortest in terms of time. As for Burbank, in Santa Clara Co., I did find it odd that Mapquest would make one choose between that and the one in LA. But, it's not a municipal entity at all?

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines