Bhutan Travel Answers

change location
Leo2006's Profile Photo

Itinerary for 7 days Bhutan - is it realistic?

by Leo2006 Online Now Feb 22, 2009 at 3:17 AM

Hi,
I am going to be 7 days in Bhutan. I prepared an itinerary. I assume that it is overloaded but it is my first (and probably last) visit to Bhutan. Is it realistic to do it this way? Any comments are welcome

Leo
-----------------------
19 March – Arrival 10:55.
Visit Paro city.Paro (Rinpung) Dzong. Kyichu Lhakhang. Evening shopping and night in Paro.
20 March - Day in Paro:Tigers Nest, Taktchang Goemba. Evening trip to Thimpu, on the way: Tamchhog Lhakhang. Evening shopping and night in Thimphu (Hotel Pending)
21 March - Thimphu, weekend market, Tango, evening trip to Phobjikha
22 March- Visit Phobjikha. Night at Punakha
23 March - Punakha and Wandue Phodrang, Khamsun Yuelley Namgyal Chorten, Chiming Lhakhang,Evening trip to Thimphu.
Evening shopping and Night at Thimpu.
24 March - Visit Thimpu. Later travel to Paro (with a stop at Tamchong Lhakhang), Night in Paro.
25 March- Departure at 11:00.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • thevaughan's Profile Photo

Re: Itinerary for 7 days Bhutan - is it realistic?

by thevaughan Online Now Feb 22, 2009 at 7:49 AM

Hi Leo,

This is feasible though I think you could tweak it a bit better:

Day 1 - Thursday, March 19
    Paro to Thimphu
    Arrive Paro, transfer to Thimphu (1 1/2 hours) with Tamchoe Lhakhang en route. Afternoon free for shopping, cultural touring, and evening in Thimphu. Overnight in Thimphu.

Day 2 - Friday, March 20
    Thimphu
    Morning visit to the Weekend Market (Friday-Sunday) with later hike to Tango. Another evening/night free for Thimphu. Overnight in Thimphu.

Day 3 - Saturday, March 21
    Thimphu to Phobjikha
    Morning drive to Phobjikha (6 hours) with sightseeing en route at Dochu La Pass. Afternoon arrival to Phobjikha with time to visit Gangtey village and Goemba. Overnight in Phobjikha.

Day 4 - Sunday, March 22
    Phobjikha to Punakha/Wangdue
    Possible early morning walk around Phobjikha valley or continue directly back to Punakha/Wangdue (3 hours). Afternoon visits to Chimi Lhakhang, Wangduephodrang Dzong and town, and Punakha Dzong (busy day, but possible). Overnight in Punakha or Wangdue.

Day 5 - Monday, March 23
    Punakha/Wangdue to Paro
    Morning hike to Khamsum Yuelley Namgyal Chorten with afternoon drive to Paro (5-6 hours). Evening and overnight in Paro.

Day 6 - Tuesday, March 24
    Depart Paro
    Early morning hike to Taktsang with afternoon visits to Paro Dzong and Kichu Lhakhang. Evening free to explore Paro town (another busy day but very doable).

This is just a suggestion, but hope it helps. Driving at night keeps your days a bit more open but you also don't get to enjoy the scenery. Safe and happy travels!

Jamie

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Bhutan Travel Answer Locations