Bhutan Travel Answers

change location

dogs in bhutan

by vetms Online Now Feb 6, 2007 at 9:46 AM

Hi everybody !
I'm a veterinary and I've never been in Bhutan.
I've read some news about the condition of dogs there (e.g. rabies outbreak in Khaling, Tashigang in January 2006, with more than three hundred dogs vaccinated) and about the great number of wandering dogs all over the country. I would like to know if anybody can give me real information about this matter. Does anybody can tell me which is the attitude of people and authorities (Is there any veterinarian working and spaying/neutering there ?) about wandering dogs ?
Thanks a lot !!
Bye. Sergio

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • zamlingnelam's Profile Photo

Re: dogs in bhutan

by zamlingnelam Online Now May 29, 2010 at 9:41 PM

hi, i am from Bhutan and i'm very glad about your concern.
    You are right about the news..every year there is out break of rabies disease, and it takes life of animal as well as human.

The government is doing every thing it can to prevent it, it has opened veterinary hospital even in the remote location(where u have to walk for days) and they also organize large camping every year (all over the states) which includes vaccination & castration of dogs (cash reward has been given to people who bring the dogs including street dogs). Govt has also built shelters for the street dogs where by they take the dogs to those shelters. However, doing such action has not been able to curb those problems because of the vast open borders and high cost implication.

It is one major complaint launched by the tourist and is one of the major problems.

any further information your require, i would be glad to give it to you.

Pema
    pdorji@une.edu.au

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Bhutan Travel Answer Locations