Bern

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Wengen in the Summer

Wengen Apr 1, 2014 at 2:21 AM

Hi. Just a quick question. Do you think Wengen would be a good place to visit in August with a 5 and 1 year old? So sick of beach holidays and fancy trying something new this year. Thanks in advance!

more
    • Traveling up to Mt Jangfrau

Interlaken Mar 28, 2014 at 2:16 AM

I will be travelling to Interlaken on the last week of May. I would like to travel up to Mt Jungfrau. What kind of clothes and shoes do I need to wear at this time of the year?
      Will the plateau still be slippery to walk on?

Thank you.

more
    • 4 nights in Bern

by baliemotion Online Now Feb 14, 2014 at 11:08 PM

We are Balinese (a couple) hot island (all year from 24-35 degree C), we will be in Europe for experiencing the snow. We will be arriving in Bern in February from Aix-En-Provence. Our plan is to go to Jungfraujoch for 1 day also Tobboging if possible? How do I reach to the top of Europe?
      2nd day : Bric and Gruyere for chocolate and cheese, it will be fine with trains.
      3rd day : I don't know yet what to do, any recommendation?
      4th day : depart to Milan.

All your information will be considerated.

2 Answers Feb 15, 2014 at 10:37 AM
    • TeresaW10's Profile Photo

Christmas eve church service

by TeresaW10 Online Now Dec 9, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Do you recommend a church for a Christmas eve service in Bern?

1 Answer Dec 9, 2013 at 9:01 AM
    • rfra0000's Profile Photo

Pls. recommend a place for skiing - First time in Bern

by rfra0000 Online Now Oct 22, 2013 at 4:13 AM

Hello, please recommend a place for skiing (beginner) which is near the city in Bern Switzerland. Also is it open until March? How far is it from the city going to the destination (2 hours, 3 hours, etc)? What should I take, a bus or train? (If you can give instructions or information that will be great).

Thank you and hoping to get a reply from you guys.

4 Answers Nov 11, 2013 at 5:06 AM
    • rfra0000's Profile Photo

First time in Bern

by rfra0000 Online Now Oct 5, 2013 at 5:40 AM

Hello, next year probably around March 2014 (2nd week or 3rd week) or May 2014 (2nd or 3rd week), I'll be visiting Bern. With that, can you give me tips like (1) What type of clothes should I wear since I think it's still cold at that time -during March (is it trench coat, bubble jacket, etc), what about during May (2) If I want to travel at one landmark to another should I go for bus or train and how much usually are the costs, for instance from Rose Garden to Einstein House or from Cathedral of Bern to House of Parliament. (3) Where are the best place to eat (I prefer near the landmarks/attractions) (4) Food recommendations and prices - it's okay if not exact price (5) Good hotel place with cheaper price if you know any name/s, please specify location too. If I missed some questions you may add other tips as well.

Thank you so much and hoping to get a feedback from you guys! :D :D :D

3 Answers Oct 5, 2013 at 7:36 AM
    • blume2013's Profile Photo

Helppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

by blume2013 Online Now Aug 13, 2013 at 4:52 AM

Having a small intimate civil wedding ....can anyone help me ? I am trying to find a hotel...grotto or somthing where I can do an after wedding aperitif and snacks for eating where the people will set up a couple of tables really nice with flowers .........would like it to be in the malcantone area of Ticino......pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee help with your ideaskind regardschristina

1 Answer Aug 13, 2013 at 2:32 PM
    • blume2013's Profile Photo

Hippy dress

by blume2013 Online Now Aug 7, 2013 at 11:00 AM

where can I find hippyish clothes ? I live in Bern... ..looking for long hippy dresses or oriental long dresses? helpppppppp need one for a wedding.....

7 Answers Aug 12, 2013 at 3:30 AM
    • EasyMalc's Profile Photo

4 Days in Bern

by EasyMalc Online Now Jul 24, 2013 at 2:45 AM

We will be spending 4 whole days in Bern in September. Apart from the city itself we would like to visit some places within comfortable reach. There seems to be so many places to choose from that I thought I'd ask for expert advice.
      The Jungfrau Railway seems a fair trek and expensive but it would be good to get up into the mountains. Then there are the lakes as well some interesting towns. Such a lot to do in such a short space of time which is why I could do with some guidance.
      Bearing in mind that I haven't got deep pockets any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

8 Answers Jul 25, 2013 at 2:44 AM
    • excitablesm's Profile Photo

Pharmacy help

by excitablesm Online Now Jun 25, 2013 at 11:34 PM

I'm sick, needing antibiotics (in U.S. they would prescribe).
      What can I do travelling in Switzerland and Italy? My son actually had 3 amoxicillin extras so I have those thru tomorrow. I have 'colorful' chest congestion:( I did get a good cough syrup from pharmacy yesterday.
      Do I try anything local, or can my dr. at home prescribe ??

10 Answers Jun 26, 2013 at 7:48 PM
    • excitablesm's Profile Photo

Early cemetery near old town?

by excitablesm Online Now Jun 25, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Visiting Bern tonight and tomorrow morning- looking for ancestors dating as far back as 1740's.
      Is there a cemetery within walking distance from old town area?

1 Answer Jun 26, 2013 at 2:00 AM
    • Barenpark

by joanamopa Online Now May 27, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Hello!

I am not sure if have heard there is an free elevator from the River (near Barenpark) to the Cathedral. Am I wrong?

Could anybody tell me if bears at Barenpark have been moved to Historical Museum? If not, is there an specific timetable to see the bears at Barenpark, I mean, is it possible to see them at 20:00 p.m. next Friday?

Thank you. Regards.

8 Answers Jun 24, 2013 at 6:15 AM
    • Mark_Lester's Profile Photo

Somewhere for 13 people for 1 night in summer in western switzerland

by Mark_Lester Online Now Dec 4, 2012 at 12:20 AM

I am organizing a railathon round Europe, 23 capitals in 16 days by train, and some other stuff. Unfortunately, despite 18 months preparation, it's just become 17 days. The Elipsos sleepers, out of Zurich and Milan, to Barcelona have been cancelled.
      So I need to find beds for 13 of us for a night in western Swiss. I've tried the City Hostel in Geneva and Glocke in Bern, and both told me they cant take me. Hostels dont like large bookings for 1 night in summer. We will be in Zurich for 18:15. Zurich is a bit too east for us. The following day I want to go via Lyon, for the finest train picnic of the entire route, and onto Limoges to get the only remaining sleeper into Spain.
      There are two reasons I want hostels, Firstly it's cheaper of course, but also, if we are all in double rooms I would have to go round waking everyone up.
      There's another more drastic option. At the start of the day we will wake up in Milan on a sleeper from Rome. I dearly want to take everyone over the Bernina, in open top carriages, which I consider the best railway ride there is, anywhere. But we could just get the Simplon and be in France in no time, but then we loose almost all of Switzerland, which is a bit dumb if we are doing the ultimate European railway trip.
      I guess we are all going to have to join the YHA (though if we do, for the extra we could just as easily get rooms in a cheap hotel).
      This is a vague and difficult question to answer, but any input most welcome.

The Great Circular European Railway Challenge
      http://gcerc.wordpress.com

3 Answers Dec 4, 2012 at 8:14 PM
    • dragonflylt's Profile Photo

Hotel Wilhelm Tell - Anyone out there with a Review?

by dragonflylt Online Now Feb 27, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Hello!
      I am down to my 6 days before getting to Bern and we are still going back and forth between hotels! Can someone please provide recommendations for this hotel: hoteltell-tonino.com/4481.ht...

? I don't see any reviews in the forums - your feedback is greatly appreciated.
      Thank you!

3 Answers Apr 18, 2012 at 1:28 PM
    • Gusknust's Profile Photo

Transportation

by Gusknust Online Now Jan 28, 2012 at 7:57 AM

Hi, everyone! I'm from Rio de Janeiro and will be visiting Bern this March. I was wondering if anyone could help me getting around in the city. I'll be arriving at the Belp airport at night and my hotel is on Weihergasse. If I take the bus from the airport, where should I get off and what means of transportation should I then take to get to Weihergasse?
      Another question. I'll leave for Lyon from Bern and have checked fares with Rail Europe. However, I found out the site charges 40% the price of shares for my reservation. Is that practice and it gets this expensive anyway if I decide to buy the tickets once in Bern or they are charging it because I'm in Brazil and buying it online from here? I just don't want to be a sucker and waste money I would gladly spend shopping in the city.
      Thank you guys!

17 Answers Feb 16, 2012 at 6:57 AM
    • Redang's Profile Photo

Fondue vs Raclette

by Redang Online Now Nov 22, 2011 at 12:02 AM

Hi there:

Two questions:

- Which one would you choose?
      - I've read some tips, but, could you suggest a good restaurant (I prefer not too expensive)

Thanks!

14 Answers Jan 18, 2012 at 7:35 AM
    • Hotel recommendations

by krarms Online Now Nov 12, 2011 at 2:48 PM

We are interested in staying in central Bern over the New Years. 3 stars or higher and within walking distance to trains. We have scanned many of the hotels in the area, and are just looking for any recommendations or experiences you may have. We would like to stay at 200 USD or less nightly. Regards!

5 Answers Nov 12, 2011 at 4:39 PM
    • B&B at Bern

by jayanthiv Online Now Aug 25, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Hi,
      Can anyone suggest a safe and good B&B accomodation at Bern, apart from bernbackpackers.com?
      Thanks
      Jayanthi

1 Answer Aug 26, 2011 at 5:44 AM
    • Local transport

by srivastava Online Now Apr 27, 2011 at 9:28 AM

What is the operation time for local transport? I would reach Bern railway at 23:30 on a Sunday and would like to take tram 9. Will it be running at 23:30? I googled but didn't find the answer.

1 Answer May 4, 2011 at 2:06 AM
    • Self Catering Accom in Bern ?

by talleyvalley Online Now Feb 5, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Hi Everyone, We are an Australian couple planning to spend a week in Bern in July. Does anyone know of any self catering accom? We have just spent 2 full days online & so far have only come up with one appartment.
      We are coming to Bern to meet our new Ganddaughter who was born early Jan & dont really fancy spending the whole week in a hotel.
      Thanks for your input. Regards, Pam & Fred

6 Answers Feb 6, 2011 at 12:28 PM
    • Stimming's Profile Photo

Bern for 1 day in March

by Stimming Online Now Jan 25, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Hi there!

I'm from Fortaleza, Brazil, and I'm planning a trip to Europe in March, and I should arrive in Bern from Frankfurt little before midnight on the 6th and will stay there only one day.
      I have a few questions on the city, and I hope they aren't too much:

- First of all, how will weather be by that time of the year? Is the city really worth visiting in that weather? What should I wear?
      - what's the cheapest way of getting from the main train station to a central area in the city?
      - I would need a cheap place to stay... what would you recommend? Good location and bed & breakfest, please. =)
      - Is it possible to see the best of the city in one day? What is worth seeing and how can I move around in the city? Are there guided city tours or something like that? Are they expensive?
      - Cheap places to eat decent food?

- Can anyone give me prices in general, like how much a person would spend in a day there, in a cheap travel. I really don't know what to expect.

- Further tips and recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot in advance! =)

Best greetings!

11 Answers Feb 7, 2011 at 10:09 PM
    • RachelFersh's Profile Photo

Market Day on 7/31?

by RachelFersh Online Now Jul 5, 2010 at 12:43 AM

Hi Everyone,

We have a few days in Bern are eager to experience a big Market Saturday. Does anyone know if it will be changed or canceled because apparently it's a holiday weekend?

Thank you!
      -Rachel

3 Answers Jul 5, 2010 at 11:36 AM
    • No apartments to rent in Bern!?

by leonp Online Now Jun 25, 2010 at 3:21 PM

Hello, guys.
      One full day I was browsing the Internet searching for an apartment in Bern for 2 weeks - our first trip to Switzerland. The total number of suggested apartments was about 5-6. Almost all were studio.

During last 15 years we travel and stay in apartments all over Europe without any problem. Each big city (not to mention capitals) suggests hundreds of apartments of all kinds.

Now, from the situation in Bern I conclude one of the following:
      1. I do not know how to search in Bern (most probable).
      2. Bern is not enough interesting city to stay in it for more then a day or two.
      3. Swiss national habits are very different.

I shall be thankful to Berners for any comment/explanation/hint.
      Best Regards

4 Answers Feb 19, 2012 at 5:45 AM
    • Short term serviced apartments or holiday flats in Berne or suburbs

by Drayford Online Now Oct 11, 2009 at 5:56 PM

Hi

I travel to Bern quite a lot and am tiring of staying in hotels. Anyone know of serviced apartments or holiday flats in or around the City (I thought there may be some in the Muri area, but can't find any info)

Many thanks!

2 Answers Feb 17, 2012 at 4:51 AM
    • lithuaniandiamond's Profile Photo

any mosques?

by lithuaniandiamond Online Now Aug 13, 2009 at 8:33 AM

hi guys!
      are there any mosques in Bern? and if there are any, does anybody know visiting possibilities?

BEst wished aus Litauen,
      Dei.

1 Answer Sep 5, 2009 at 2:00 PM
    • Divcha's Profile Photo

Places to visit in Bern?

by Divcha Online Now Jun 4, 2009 at 8:41 AM

Will be travelling to Bern at the end of June on business.
      As I won't have much of free time would like to visit places that really worth visiting in Bern.
      Could anyone local recommend me something?

11 Answers Jun 23, 2009 at 3:55 PM
    • TA7DS's Profile Photo

bed near the gare

by TA7DS Online Now Mar 23, 2009 at 2:36 AM

Can anyone recommend a place to sleep near the Bern rail station, even if at a radius of 20-25 minutes walking. Ensuite bath not necessary. Around CHF70. Thanks.

2 Answers Mar 24, 2009 at 8:49 AM
    • Bern or Lausanne?

by eltont Online Now Jan 14, 2009 at 5:15 AM

Hello everyone,
      I will be flying in to Geneva airport at the end of May for and cannot decide on whether to base myself in Lausanne or Bern for a four night break.
      Any suggestions?
      Thanks.

14 Answers Jan 31, 2009 at 7:28 AM
    • looking for apartment

by mitch_koh Online Now Oct 21, 2008 at 9:44 AM

Hi hi,

I’m a student planning to visit Bern university for exchange next year (Spring) I saw that you have rooms for rent but I can’t read German. So, may I know if there is inexpensive place to stay in berne. Any website in English that have info of the rent price, number of rooms and how far is it from the school and super market? Thank you so much for your help.

2 Answers Oct 22, 2008 at 7:38 AM
    • riorich55's Profile Photo

Left Luggage at Train Station

by riorich55 Online Now Jun 24, 2008 at 1:08 PM

My wife and I will be stopping here on our way from Paris to Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland. Since we will get here around 12:30 in the afternoon I thought it would be a good time to spend 3 to 4 hours having lunch and walking the city. My questions are regarding our luggage. We will want to leave one large and two smaller airplane carry on's at the station. Is this type of service available in Bern? How large (dimensions) are the largest lockers or can we leave at the station and not in a locker? Costs?

4 Answers Jun 24, 2008 at 11:13 PM
    • Raffy56's Profile Photo

gift hampers and supermarkets in Bern

by Raffy56 Online Now Jun 1, 2008 at 2:33 AM

Hello,
      My sister-in-law and brother-in-law have moved to Bern, Switzerland for 2 years just this week. I would like to organise to send them a grocery hamper of various items that they may need and I would like to know if a local supermarket or department store would do this. Alternatively maybe a local company who provides such a service of gift hampers etc.
      Any feedback or comments are welcome and appreciated.
      Raffaella

2 Answers Jun 1, 2008 at 3:05 AM
    • Dutch1980's Profile Photo

Help a hotel needed EK2008

by Dutch1980 Online Now Mar 18, 2008 at 3:46 PM

Hello I hope some Swiss people or other people with an good idea can help me.
      Me and 4 friends (5 people) good educated and for sure no hooligens :) got tickets for the EK match between the Netherlands and Italy...

Bern is a small city and most of the hotels are already fully booked. ANd we dont want a camping or very expensive hotel.

Can anyone help me... do you know someone who has an small hotel thats not so known by the internet. Maybe a cottage or just any idea were 5 people can sleep for a long weekend...

Your help would be great :)

greets Ron

The weekend is from 7 till 10 June ( match on 9th of June) (3 nights)

5 Answers Mar 27, 2008 at 4:22 AM