Bern Travel Answers

change location
Mark_Lester's Profile Photo

Somewhere for 13 people for 1 night in summer in western switzerland

by Mark_Lester Online Now Dec 4, 2012 at 12:20 AM

I am organizing a railathon round Europe, 23 capitals in 16 days by train, and some other stuff. Unfortunately, despite 18 months preparation, it's just become 17 days. The Elipsos sleepers, out of Zurich and Milan, to Barcelona have been cancelled.
So I need to find beds for 13 of us for a night in western Swiss. I've tried the City Hostel in Geneva and Glocke in Bern, and both told me they cant take me. Hostels dont like large bookings for 1 night in summer. We will be in Zurich for 18:15. Zurich is a bit too east for us. The following day I want to go via Lyon, for the finest train picnic of the entire route, and onto Limoges to get the only remaining sleeper into Spain.
There are two reasons I want hostels, Firstly it's cheaper of course, but also, if we are all in double rooms I would have to go round waking everyone up.
There's another more drastic option. At the start of the day we will wake up in Milan on a sleeper from Rome. I dearly want to take everyone over the Bernina, in open top carriages, which I consider the best railway ride there is, anywhere. But we could just get the Simplon and be in France in no time, but then we loose almost all of Switzerland, which is a bit dumb if we are doing the ultimate European railway trip.
I guess we are all going to have to join the YHA (though if we do, for the extra we could just as easily get rooms in a cheap hotel).
This is a vague and difficult question to answer, but any input most welcome.

The Great Circular European Railway Challenge
http://gcerc.wordpress.com

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Mark_Lester's Profile Photo

Re: Somewhere for 13 people for 1 night in summer in western switzerland

by Mark_Lester Online Now Dec 4, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Actually, Zurich does work, we can even do the Oberalp, along with the Bernina and Arbula, and get there before 10pm, and we dont need to leave till 08:30 and still get 2 hours in Lyon to get the picnic stuff in.
    So I picked the wrong city toi post this, but I'm sure I can find some where in Zurich that will take us, surely.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • bianchis's Profile Photo

by bianchis Online Now Dec 4, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Try the Youth Hostel in Zurich
    youthhostel.ch/en/hostels/zu...

I must say you really sound vague about your plans. You must be more precise if you want help. Good luck anyway

1 member found this helpful

• Mark_Lester's Profile Photo

by Mark_Lester Online Now Dec 4, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Yes I know that was stupidly vague, apologies all round.
    To terminate my "thinking out loud" thread, I ended up with Easy Hotel in Zurich at £64 per double, which for an odd 13 will work out at £34.50 There was also Ibis at £60 for a triple, but it's much further away from all the stuff.
    None of the trendy and cheap hostels, anywhere, would take 13 for one night,

Be the first to rate this answer!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines