Berlin Travel Answers

change location
Miguelzgz's Profile Photo

Local food in restaurant.

by Miguelzgz Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 2:49 AM

Hello.
We are going to Berlin next March. I have been reading the travel guides here, but I would like to hear your updated opinions about restaurants. We don´t look for "posh" or "listed in the gourmet guides" places, just local and tasty food and beer, off course. Any suggestion about which dishes to ask for is very welcomed too.

We´ll be based in Wörther Strasse (Mite), but we are ready to go to other areas.

Thank you very much for your attention.

Quote & Answer
12 Answers
  • johngayton's Profile Photo

Re: Local food in restaurant.

by johngayton Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 3:16 AM

A couple of my favourite places are under the arches next to S-bahn stations.

Nolle at Banhof Friedrichtstrasse has a local specialities section on its menu which include things like Schnitzel, Currywurst, Berlin Potato Soup and my favourite,"Hausgemachte Boulette" - a Berlin take on "Hamburger" - Nolle: "Underneath the Arches" - Berlin Restaurant Tip by johngayton

Another similar is Tiergartenquelle, at the Tiergarten S-bahnhof. We had a mini VT meet here a couple of years ago. The menu is quite short but with plenty of variations on pig (also good vegetarian options), portions are substantial and very reasonably priced. The "Specials" blackboard is always worth checking-out. Tiergartenquelle: "Another Atmospheric Under The Arches Place" - Berlin Restaurant Tip by johngayton

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Miguelzgz's Profile Photo

by Miguelzgz Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 3:30 AM

O.k, added to my travel guide. As soon as I can find some time will check the links you sent.

Thanks a lot!

• adelinemmc's Profile Photo

by adelinemmc Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 3:49 AM

Hi there
    Currywurst is a must indeed but you buy it from stalls (Imbiss) rather than restaurants. It's perfect for a cheap & tasty snack.

The two stall I keep coming back to are the famous Konnopke Imbiss in Schönhauser Allee near Eberswalder Strasse U Bahn or, closer to Mitte, Witty's Imbiss on Wittenbergplatz next to KaDeWe.

Note you can have Currywurst with or without the sausage's skin (mit or ohne larm) which is a personal choice but the question is likely to be asked so don't be puzzled by it, just reply 'mit' or 'ohne'.

Enjoy!

by Miguelzgz Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 8:23 AM

I have seen the websites of the restaurants, and the info in virtualtourist...I am really wishing to taste those beers and food! thanks.

One of them is very close to our flat, and luckily another one is close to the hotel where our friend will be, so we can try both!!

• johngayton's Profile Photo

by johngayton Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Glad to be of help :-)

• hannette's Profile Photo

by hannette Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Hello,
    You find a lot of 'world kitchen' in Berlin (indian, thai, chinese, african, etc etc) and vegan/vegetarian food.
    Two of my favourite spots for restaurants were:
    1. the area around Simon Dach-Strasse (metro U1: Warschauer Strasse)
    2. Danziger Strasse and its side streets (metro U2: Eberswalder Strasse)

by Miguelzgz Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Thanks Hannete.
    I am afraid one week won´t be enought to taste everything! ;-)

• Ina08's Profile Photo

by Ina08 Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 11:09 AM

I quite like the Schinkelklause which is very conveniently located right next to the Opera House & also the Museum Island. It has become a little touristy but is still a good, very Berlinerisch Place.

Unter den Linden 5, 10117 Berlin,

• Turtleshell's Profile Photo

by Turtleshell Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Hannette has it right. There is basically no such thing like "local food" in Berlin, even the (in-)famous Currywurst is a love-hate object (with myself sitting smack in the hate fraction).

Traditionally, Berlin has a poor man's cuisine, and since wealth has improved somewhat while immigrants brought their own cuisine, Berliners now eat mostly "international" cuisine adapted to their taste, e.g. less spicy.

It is different in south Germany, where French and Austrian influences can be found. Remember the Alsace, epitome of simple but excellent food, once was German.

In-districts like Prenzlauer Berg, Mitte and Friedrichshain accommodate many international restaurants and at the same time cater to vegetarians and vegans. And tourists.
    Districts with a large number of immigrants like Wedding and Neukölln accommodate many Döner stalls that are actually more sought after by Berliners than Currywurst.
    And in the "conservative" Districts like Charlottenburg - well you'll probably find more Italian restaurants than something "local".

What's left of Berlin's local food are attempts to modernize Berlin's traditional cuisine and make it more elegant, which actually is possible, but then you'll end up in somewhat posh restaurants like Zander.

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo

by travelfrosch Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 5:17 AM

Just a few blocks from Konnopke Imbiss (mentioned above) is Prater Garten, a beer garden next to the old Prater Theater. The food is cheap, and they brew their own beer.

pratergarten.de/e/biergarten...

1 member found this helpful

by Miguelzgz Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 5:36 AM

I have just checked their website, but they say the
    beer garden is open from April to September, but we can go to the restaurant.

To brew their own beer sounds fantastic! ;-)

• Re: Local food in restaurant.

by Ing75 Online Now Jul 10, 2013 at 2:00 AM

One of my favorite places for very good food and an electric atmosphere when I visited Berlin was franke brasserie - they have a good variety of local, french and Mediterranean foods.

We also enjoyed a few nights of social drinking in the bar
    Very nice indeed!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines