Berlin Travel Answers

change location
Miguelzgz's Profile Photo

Good area to rent an apartment.

by Miguelzgz Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 4:28 AM

Hello..again.
We have been looking for hotels, but we found interesting websites to rent apartments, and we'll probably choose that option. Prices seem reasonable to us.
But we want to know which area is the better. I know it is not an esay question. We don´t plan to walk everywhere, but we would like to have some interesting tourist areas in a walkable distance, and good public transport connection....

So, you BErlin gurús...what would you choose? Thank you very much for your attention

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Turtleshell's Profile Photo

Re: Good area to rent an apartment.

by Turtleshell Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 7:27 AM

Messedam, where you need to go, is in the west, the best areas to spend evenings are in the east. But, as mentioned in one of the answers to your previous post, Berlin is well connected, so "good public transport" is most often a non-issue.

If I were you, I would stay in the Prenzlauer Berg area and take the S 41 or S 42 from Schönhauser Allee to Messedamm and subway U2 to Alexanderplatz, Gendarmenmarkt, Potsdamer Platz and Wittenbergplatz/Kurfürstendamm. There's also a tram that takes you to Hackesche Höfe et al.
    Restaurants, bars and clubs are within walking distance.

Since Berlin's usual "must see" spots are somewhat spread over the city, there is no chance that you can stay within walking distance of all those. The Mitte area would come closest, but than you would have to change trains to get to Messedamm. Besides, staying there would be more expensive.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • johngayton's Profile Photo

by johngayton Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 7:50 AM

This one out at Wilmersdorf was ideal for me. Close to the Adenhauerplatz U, laundrette downstairs, Lidl on the corner and a couple of local retaurants on the same street.

Classic Apartments: "If You Dont Need To Be Central..." - Berlin Hotel Tip by johngayton

As said previously - it really doesn't matter where you stay as every district has its own appeals and the public transport system is brilliant (and cheap).

• Miguelzgz's Profile Photo

by Miguelzgz Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Thank you for your replies. We have been checking your places. Tomorrow we'll book.
    I guess it is easy to reach the city centre from Tegel airport, right?

• Steve51's Profile Photo

by Steve51 Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Tegel is supposed to close this year....better keep an eye on the website...closure has been delayed for over a year so far I think

s/u bahn doesn;t go to tegel, but there are bsues...see bvg.de/index.php/en/17131/na...

• Turtleshell's Profile Photo

by Turtleshell Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 4:35 PM

> I guess it is easy to reach the city centre from Tegel airport, right?

Surprisingly enough only so-so ....
    No one really wanted to invest in Tegel, hence, as mentioned above, only buses leave from Tegel. However do to some major delays in building a new airport, Tegel won't close anytime soon, certainly not this year.

For questions like "how do I get from x to y" I suggest to visit
    bvg.de/index.php/en/index.ht...
    and use the 'Journey Planner'.

reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/qu...
    will do, too - even in Spanish.

• Miguelzgz's Profile Photo

by Miguelzgz Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 5:28 AM

I just wanted to tell you that we have booked a nice flat, we are very happy about it, we hope it will be great.

Thank you very much for all your input.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines