Berlin Travel Answers

change location
cj55's Profile Photo

lodging

by cj55 Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 6:04 PM

My husband and I are going to Berlin this summer. We would like to stay in an apartment witha balcony. The Habitat apartments look nice. On the map they look far away from the main tourist area. Does anyone know how long it would take to get to the island from the Habitat apartments and if there is transportation near by? If someone knows of other apartments with balconys closer to the center and all the tourist attractions, we would greately appericate some help.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • alza's Profile Photo

Re: lodging

by alza Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Hi Troy,

From my one-time experience in Berlin (I hope there'll be more!), Habitat Apartments don't seem far from the usual tourist areas. They say they're in Mitte, the district where I stayed, and their location map seems to confirm this. I was happy to stay in Mitte and found it easy to get everywhere. Close Metro stop from Circus Hostel was called Rosa-Luxembourg-Platz.

NOT to confuse you, but I just looked at Berlin map and now wonder if Circus Hostel moved... it shows up at Rosenthaler Platz Metro stop... (still not far from the scene in Berlin.) Just note that there's a Circus HOTEL at one address and a Circus HOSTEL at another... but both are close enough to one another.

I see Torstrasse near Habitat... I went to a repertory cinema one night, on Torstrasse, and walked back along it to get back to Circus hostel. It was a very good experience, stopped at a friendly shish-kebab place to eat but mostly to use the loo, and a nice guy there walked me back to my street, very gallantly. It was late at night yet I felt totally safe all the way.
    I stopped at a café by Circus Hostel and had a fantastic experience, where actors were celebrating a wedding and welcomed me as a friend. Unforgettable. That and all other Berlin experiences were truly unique, what a vibe there!

About Habitat, it looks great from photos on the web. Since you're keen on having a balcony, perhaps I'd suggest that you make sure with Habitat that your balcony has a good view, not one onto a closed backyard. If that's the case, I'd say, go for it!

Have a good trip to Berlin!

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Turtleshell's Profile Photo

Re: lodging

by Turtleshell Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 4:36 AM

Most of their apartments overlook Weinbergspark - at least that's what they say. So most of them are located in Mitte, bordering Prenzlauer Berg. That's by no means far from tourists attractions, and there's good street life. Weinberg itself, however, is a place where dealers sell dope. But it's still safe to walk there, no worries.

Depending on where exactly the apartments are, the next subway stop might be 400 - 500 yards away (at most), but there's a tram as well.

The location should not stop you from booking there.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• cj55's Profile Photo

by cj55 Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Thanks for sharing your experience. We are older and enjoy the ourdoors. I don't want to sournd to lame but our evenings might be enjoying the view from our balcony with a few cocktails. Again thanks for the comment.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines