Berlin Travel Answers

change location
tracyskf's Profile Photo

Berlin to Munich

by tracyskf Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 1:04 PM

What is the best way to travel from Berlin to Munich? Flight or train? Is there much to see if I take the train? =)

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • ATLC's Profile Photo

Re: Berlin to Munich

by ATLC Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 1:12 PM

By train it's about 10-11 hours. There is a direct train (no changes) that takes 10 hours.
    With all the hassle of getting to and from airports, check-ins, luggage, etc., my personal recommendation would be to go by train.

For train travel you can find all information on
    bahn.de/i/view/overseas/en/i... (the English version).

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • margsch's Profile Photo

by margsch Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 1:13 PM

As a train fan I would use the train, if you book up to 90 days in advance you get a special fare from E49 instead of the normal fare of E125. To take advantage of the cheaper fare you need to book online, bahn.de has all the info, you can select your date of travel and see what you come up with. The journey takes about 7 hours but there are direct trains. The website gives the option of reserving a seat which i always do then you can stay in your seat all the way. This only costs about E5.

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo

by travelfrosch Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 1:14 PM

The train takes between 6 and 7 hours. You can get there a bit faster if you change trains in Nuernberg. The scenery is nothing special IMO. If you book a specific journey long enough in advance, you can sometimes score deep discounts. One-way passage can be as low as EUR 29 (regular fare is EUR 125). Another option might be an overnight train, which also can be discounted if booked far enough in advance. See reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/qu... for details.

That said, if you can book a cheaper flight, that might be the way to go (though I've never done it myself).

by margsch Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Anke, I saw some at 6 hrs 45 mins and some just over 7 hours.

• colares's Profile Photo

by colares Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 3:48 PM

There is not much to see, when taking the train. And if you change trains in Nürnberg and include the high-speed train from there to Munich, better have a good book to read. Simply decide it on the rate: flight or train!
    Enjoy your trip!

• Turtleshell's Profile Photo

by Turtleshell Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 4:13 PM

> There is not much to see, when taking the train.

Objections Sire!
    The route is actually quite nice with limestone cliffs, valleys and castles. Not every of the 6 or so hours is gripping, and bringing a book is a good suggestion, but for two hours or so the thread starter might find his/her nose pressed at the window.

2 members found this helpful

• Turtleshell's Profile Photo

by Turtleshell Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 4:17 PM

In addition: There won't be much to see *soon* when the new route opens which will reduce travel time by three hours: lots of tunnels!

1 member found this helpful

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

by Roadquill Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I enjoy taking the train in Germany. I have had numerous wonderful conversations with fellow travelers, even when they found out I was a Yank. The last several trips were so engaging I missed a lot of the scenery. I have done the train from Stuttgart (not too far from Munich) to Berlin and I was in Berlin before I knew it and didn't have to worry about getting to an airport early or transferring from the airport to central Berlin. Karl

by margsch Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 5:05 PM

I think the difference is too that people who live there see the same scenery all the time whereas for us from another country it is all different to where we live so always has a degree of novelty.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines