Berlin Travel Answers

change location
alexasanford's Profile Photo

Best things to see and do in Berlin for the weekend

by alexasanford Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Hi everyone, I'm going to Berlin for 2 days with a friends in March and I was wondering if you could tell me the "must-see and must-dos" of Berlin. Good cafes, good restaurants (not expensive), sights, markets, activities etc. Your responses are much appreciated!

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • GrumpyL5's Profile Photo

Re: Best things to see and do in Berlin for the weekend

by GrumpyL5 Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Probably best to look through the guides on here and choose things that interest you. However, I would suggest: A walk along and about Unter den Linden from Alexander platz to the Brandenburg Gate. Gendarmenmarkt is a fine site, with the Konzerthause. I'd recomment a tour of the building or better still a concert in the main hall which is very impressive and beautiful. A trip on the U bahn to Frankfurter Tor and the impressive communist housing along Karl Marx strasser. From the impressive towers you'd walk back towards the TV tower at Alex, there are U bahn stations along the road if you tire of the walk. Depending on the weather and queue the revolving restaurant on top of the TV tower is fun, now that we don't have one here in the UK. There are plenty of art galleries and museums and three opera houses to enjoy - so culturally you are spoilt for choice :-)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • GrumpyL5's Profile Photo

by GrumpyL5 Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 12:43 PM

The Egyptian museum houses "the" bust of the stunningly beautiful and "regal" Nefertiti, which is worth seeing. The Pergamon Museum houses the vast altar from Pergamon, and a gateway and wall sections from ancient Babylon.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 1:11 PM

i second the idea of looking in destinations for tips by posters like us, see the ones you are interested in,and then come back to the forum for update details. hope it helps your planning

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo

by nicolaitan Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 1:38 PM

for museums, the Pergamon Museum as noted above is an amazing visit. For Old Masters art, we enjoyed the gemaldegalerie with a room stuffed with rubens.

the Jewish Museum is the most comprehensive and organized we have ever visited, well worth the several hours it takes to go through it.

there are some really good pages on vt about berlin, we learned so much before visiting. check them out.

• SallyM's Profile Photo

by SallyM Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 2:10 PM

We found the Stasi Museum stasimuseum.de/en/enindex.ht... fascinating, if rather chilling.

• christine.j's Profile Photo

by christine.j Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 9:51 PM

There was a similar question some days ago under the heading "what can't I miss?" If you scroll down in the Berlin forum, you'll find it and get some more ideas. Enjoy your stay in Berlin.

• alexasanford's Profile Photo

by alexasanford Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 3:38 AM

Thank you!

• alexasanford's Profile Photo

by alexasanford Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 3:39 AM

Thank you for your response!

• Re: Best things to see and do in Berlin for the weekend

by ottowoman Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 2:07 AM

berlin is really too large to explore for a weekend. the 'must-sees' are the touristy spots of course (brandenburger tor, reichstag, holocaust memorial, etc.) but if you want something more district-oriented (say you wanted to know more about Kreuzberg, Friedrichshain) then i recommend these guys: http://www.eat-the-world.com/en.html

they offer food and culture tours, so you get the historic, cultural experience whilesampling food from local shops and cafes, things you won't see on guidebooks. highly recommended, and highly loved by friends who have done it.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Berlin