Berlin Travel Answers

change location

What can't I miss?

by sopra_ti Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 2:54 AM

Hi.

I will arrive in Berlim on the 16th of February and I will stay until the 24th. This will be a very short vacation of just 7 days. Since this will be my first time in Berlim, what can't I miss? What places should I visit?

Thanks!

Best Regards..

Quote & Answer
21 Answers
  • zuriga's Profile Photo

Re: What can't I miss?

by zuriga Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 3:11 AM

Definitely take the Hop On/Hop Off bus that takes you around the city. It's a good introduction to Berlin and you walk around the different areas.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • hannette's Profile Photo

by hannette Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 3:11 AM

I would say you should visit: the historic center, Unter der Linden, Brandenburger Gate, the War memorial (very nice!), Tacheles in Oranienburgerstrasse, perhaps East Side Gallery (the wall), and perhaps because of the weather another museum, like Neue Nationalgalerie. I generally like the East-side of Berlin more than the West-side. Areas like Prenzlauerberg (U2: Eberswalder Strasse) and around Simon Dach-strasse (U1: Warschauer Strasse) are very cosy and excellent to find lots of good restaurants. Enjoy!

• wabat's Profile Photo

by wabat Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 3:12 AM

Hi may I suggest you type Berlin in into search box above (keep as destination) and search. This will give you some excellent ideas - there is lots to do in the City and in a week you'll have time to take in Potsdam as well.

• Re: What can't I miss?

by sopra_ti Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 3:16 AM

Thanks for all the answers.

Is there any concentration camp near Berlim that I can visit?

• vtveen's Profile Photo

by vtveen Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 3:19 AM

Most probably you will get enough ideas for Berlin itself. So I would recommend visiting some sights outiside the city as well. You can easily reach them by public transportattion: - Oranienburg: palace and museum - Sachsenhausen, the former concentration camp - Potsdam with its palaces and parks

Happy travels Jaap

• christine.j's Profile Photo

by christine.j Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 4:59 AM

There are so many must-not-misses (if there is such a word) in Berlin that it's difficult to name them. It all depends on your interests. Since you ask about a concentration camp, you may also be interested in visiting the excellent Jewish museum. Then there is the Holocaust memorial, if you go there don't miss the small museum which is part of it. Many visitors just walk through the blocks and don't go there, but it's an important part of the memorial. Something else to visit: http://www.topographie.de/en/

The more recent history of Berlin as a divided city is illustrated in the Berlin Story. However, if you don't speak any German,and don't know much about this subject, you may be disappointed. At least when I was there there were hardly any explanations. I thought it was great, but there were many items my daughter didn't understand. The dark side of former East Germany can be seen here http://en.stiftung-hsh.de/. Very interesting! I also like to go to the Mauermuseum, near former Checkpoint Charlie http://www.mauermuseum.de/index.php/en Opinions about it vary, some say it's a tourist trap, but I think the attempts of people to flee should not be forgotten.

• Turtleshell's Profile Photo

by Turtleshell Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 8:36 AM

> Is there any concentration camp near Berlim that I can visit?

Yes, two, both in Oranienburg: Oranienburg (right in the center) and Sachsenhausen (a bit outside). The S-Bahn can take you there.

I would suggest spending one or two days in Potsdam: Sanssouci Castle and Park, Dutch Quarter, Krongut Bornstedt and perhaps Cecilienhof Castle.

• manuna's Profile Photo

by manuna Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 11:40 AM

I can recommend this museum. http://www.mauermuseum.de/index.php/en It's not a concentrationncamp, but when you realise that state can treat its citizens like this... Before my visit to the museum I was sure that I know enough about this part of the history, but when you come across some real documents and not just figures...

• cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 2:37 PM

in the evening don't miss the Lir Irish Bar in Mitte area.

• johngayton's Profile Photo

by johngayton Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 3:38 PM

I was really impressed with the Museum Fur Kommunikation. it's not normally my sort of thing but it is an interesting building and so I popped in to see what it was all about. Here's what I have to say: "Wandering The City #10 - One For The Philatelists" - Berlin Things to Do Tip by johngayton

• dromosapien's Profile Photo

by dromosapien Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 4:52 PM

If you run out of ideas, the Spandau Citadel is worth a look.

• vtveen's Profile Photo

by vtveen Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Turtleshell wrote:  ...Yes, two, both in Oranienburg: Oranienburg (right in the center) and ...

Where can I find more information about this concentration camp ??

• smirnofforiginal's Profile Photo

by smirnofforiginal Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 5:50 AM

As you seem to be interested in historical Berlin, may I suggest you take a trip to The Prohibited District / Stasi Restricted Area to Berlin-Hohenschonhausen. The former prison. It is very interesting to know that (when I was there all but 1) of the guides are former/surviving prisoners. It recalls better than most places the terror and repression that was. Remarkably the prison continued until 1990 - not so long ago! you can get more detail:

translate.google.co.uk/trans...">translate.google.co.uk/trans...)

...if you are not a bit Stasi-ed out at the end of this you could go next to the Stasi Museum: stasimuseum.de/en/enindex.ht...

A tour that I can also recommend is Berliner Unterwelten: berliner-unterwelten.de/unte... You will gain an understanding of what happened in Berlin, especially as the Allies bombed and the Red Army stomped it - I was moved by the sensitivity of the guide I had.

A trip up Norman Forster's dome on the Reichstag is a must. You must book in advance and can do son online. You will need your booking and your passports to collect your tickets on the day: bundestag.de/htdocs_e/visits...

There is so much to do in Berlin, I would imagine all these posts should keep you busy! I am also heading back to Berlin next week.. can't wait - it is a city I adore :-D

by smirnofforiginal Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 5:59 AM

ooh that is a new feature - the web addresses I have provided have been magically translated into web links - you need to right click on them to open them!

by Turtleshell Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 6:15 AM

Information on KZ Oranienburg: stiftung-bg.de/kz-oranienbur... (in German)

KZ Oranienburg is a former brewery for political prisoners actually, so, as opposed to KZ Sachsenhausen, it is pretty non-typical for a concentration camp.

Since Sachsenhausen is the much bigger and better known former concentration camp, I'd guess you'll find English language tours only here. stiftung-bg.de/gums/en/index...

Oranienburg isn't big at all; KZ Sachsenhausen, while situated in an outskirt of the town, is only 2 km from the station.

by smirnofforiginal Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Thanks Norbert - I haven't been to KZ Oranienburg. Think I will try to get there next week. Am also going to visit Tempelhoft airport

by Turtleshell Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Oh, I think it was vtveen who asked for information on the former concentration camp, smirnofforiginal, but anyhow ... Personally, I would still prefer Berliner Unterwelten over former concentration camps, but that's probably I have seen some before, and they basically look all the same.

by smirnofforiginal Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Yes it was and I told the OP about Berliner Unterwelten as I agree with you. However, I read your post and as I willbe there next week I will check it out :-)

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo

by GentleSpirit Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Walking tour/hop on hop off bus to get you oriented 1- Museums Pergamon museum is outstanding Stasi museum near museuminsel was very good 2. outside berlin -sachsenhausen camp -KGB prison in Potsdam -stasi prison in Potsdam 3. palaces -charlottenburg - San Soucci (potsdam)

• Re: What can't I miss?

by sopra_ti Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Berlin is been amazing! Thanks for the help..

)

I have heard that on thursdays, some museums are free between 18h and 22h. Does anyone knows anything about it?

by Turtleshell Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 2:43 AM

Is up to each museum if they grant free admission. If they do, it is often the first Wednesday of a new month. But you would have to check the website of the museum you want to visit.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines