Bergamo Travel Answers

change location

Bergamo to Savona

by aspiringcruiser Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Hi, we are considering trying a short cruise holiday from Savona but nearest airport (flying from Ireland) seems to be Bergamo. We would be arriving the night before the cruise departure date (at end of May) and flying out of Bergamo again two days after cruise finishes. The return flight leaves very early in the morning. Can someone please advise us on travel between bergamo airport and savona port/recommend where to stay before and after cruise? We will be travelling with three kids and two grandparents who are not fit for steep/long walks or heavy lifting but we do plan on travelling as light as possible (flying with ryanair!) If all this has already been answered please feel free to direct me to the relevant threads - thank you :-)

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • lichinga's Profile Photo

Re: Bergamo to Savona

by lichinga Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Mission impossible 5.
    Bergamo airport and Savona are only linked one to the other via railway: bus to Bergamo station, train to Milano central station, then from there to Genova and then from Genova to Savona. Once you are there the real harbour is still unreachable because they say "Savona" but they usually mean "Vado ligure", some 10 km away from Savona (only by taxi). So, taking into consideration the kind of people your group is made of, you should hire a small van and drive (3-3.5 hours) or maybe leave aside ryanair and fly to Genoa, making it significantly easier (but EASY).

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • by aspiringcruiser Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Yikes, had a feeling it may be too much - thank you, especially for the tip about location of cruise terminal at savona!

Be the first to rate this answer!

by lichinga Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Well, before giving up, you may check if the "savona" is the real Savona or Vado; and then have a look at www.trenitalia.it for miracle train connections. Consider 15 minutes bus ride from Bergamo airport (located at Orio) and the train station

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 9:41 AM

As noted, Bergamo is not particularly near Savona.

www.skyscanner.net will give you all carriers & usually fares for your dates from Irish airports to e.g. Genoa. But it may well be that Bergamo is the better option, once you have factored in cost of airfares etc.

As you do not mention the possibility I suspect that you do not wish to hire a car/van and drive yourselves. You can find Italian train times, details and fares in English here:

trenitalia.com/homepage_en.h...

Bergamo railway station is an easy bus ride from the airport (loads of buses, maybe 10-15 mins depending on traffic). No need to buy tickets in advance online; ticket machines have English language options, accept cash and give change.

Bergamo>Savona takes 3h 24m, with at least one change (that will be easy enough; platforms and departures are both very clearly signed). However, the earliest departure is 0802, getting you to Savona at 1126..I hope that is not too late?

If you do decide to fly into/out of Bergamo (a lovely place and worth a couple of days' exploration just for itself) then I can personally recommend the Hotel Piemontese, which is directly opposite Bergamo's station (for airport bus as well as train):

"Super-convenient" - Hotel Piemontese Tip by leics

and also the Arli Hotel, where I stayed last year and (I've just discovered) entirely forgot to write a VT review. The Arli is about a minute's walk from the airport bus stop.

the reliable www.booking.com is used by many VT-ers, has extensive listings and, imo, reliable reviews (they can only be posted by people who have booked through the site and completed their stay). www.venere.com is also reliable and has extensive listings. As well as browsing those sites for your dates I suggest you also have a look at the Bergamo hotel reviews on VT: we held the big Euromeet there last year, so there are plenty of recent reviews:

Bergamo Travel Guide

• by aspiringcruiser Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Never give up ;-) I'm now checking out going via london into Genoa. I figure two flights might still be more tolerable than messing about with various buses, trains etc in an unfamiliar place (especially when I won't be alone). What would be the best way to get from Genoa airport to Savona, do you know?

• Re: Bergamo to Savona

by aspiringcruiser Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Thank you so much for all that. I did initially consider car hire but was a bit concerned about the safety of leaving it at a port while we cruise. I may revisit that as an option. It's great to get such detailed information here especially recommendations for accommodation. It would be nice to stretch out our holiday on either side of the actual cruise time. Do you have any tips for reasonable hotels in either Genoa or Savona? Or perhaps there is a thread specifically for those places. I will browse around.

by lichinga Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 10:45 AM

From Genoa Airport, the shuttle bus (6€) to Genova Piazza Principe station (take care, the bus is heading to Brignole Station but that is less useful to go to Vado): airport.genova.it/v2/index.p...
    Then the regional train to Quiliano-Vado Ligure: www.trenitalia.it - 70-80 minutes

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Hmmm...seems like you still have the bus + train thing even if you do fly into Genoa. Here's the bus timetable on the airport website:

airport.genova.it/v2/index.p...

You could investigate a direct transfer from the airport to the cruise port. It might be worthwhile as there are so many of you (including children). I googled and got a quote of 145 euro for a minibus from the airport >Savona cruise terminal. There are several different operators so it might be worth exploring the option.

I haven't stayed in Genoa so can't recommend anywhere personally, sorry. I'll refer you to booking.com and venere again, and also to the VT reviews here:

Genoa Hotels

There are hotels in Savona too, of course, but there are no VT reviews for them.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines