Berchtesgaden Travel Answers

change location

Travel info.

by Johnire Online Now Jan 3, 2013 at 6:30 AM

Hi there.

I'm just looking for a bit of advice with regard to a day trip I want to make to Berchtesgaden in March.
I will be travelling from Salzburg by bus and ideally I would like to go to Dokumentation Obersalzberg and then on for the rest of the day to Konigssee and then back to Salzburg that evening.

First of all is this realistic to do this in one day?
I have no problem in being in Berchtesgaden early in the morning. Am I correct to say there is a bus directly to Dokumentation Obersalzberg?
Is there a bus from there onwards to Konigssee or would I need to return back to Berchtesgaden and get a bus from there?
Likewise from Konigssee do I need to return to Berchtesgaden in order to get the bus back to Sallzburg?

Thanks in advance for any replies:-)

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

Re: Travel info.

by CatherineReichardt Online Now Jan 3, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Hi
    Others with better knowledge of other public transport systems will hopefully be along soon to answer your specific queries.
    However, we have visited all these places, and they are so wonderful that you won't to rush them. I would say that trying to fit all this into a single day - especially if you're reliant on publictramsport - is really pushing it, especially as the daylight hours still aren't all that long in March.
    I would personally suggest that you consider overnighting in Berchtesgaden and split this over a couple of days: I can almost guarantee that you won't regret it.
    I would certainly recommend a visit (if not a stay) at the Hotel Watzmann in town: the meal we had there (especially the local venison) was one of the best we've ever had on our travels, and it's the only hotel I've ever come across that was given an award by the US military for 'services to morale' (interestingly, not 'morals')!
    Hope this helps.
    Regards
    Cathy

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • alancollins's Profile Photo

Re: Travel info.

by alancollins Online Now Jan 4, 2013 at 5:50 AM

Hi
    If you are coming from Salzburg (Austria) you can take bus # 840 which departs almost every hour from either the Salzburg train station or from Mirabellplatz for Berchtesgaden (duration approx. 45 min.).

rvo-bus.de/site/rvo__bus/de/...

If you use the below link you can find out more information about buses in Berchtesgaden but you could try emailing them for all the information.

rvo-bus.de/site/rvo__bus/de/...

It takes a while to view all the exhibits in the Documentation Centre and a couple of hours at least to take a boat trip on the Konigssee so start early.
    The link below is for the boat company on Konigssee.

seenschifffahrt.de/en/koenig...

Your main problem is the restricted hours during March. The link below is for a Documentation Centre flyer.

obersalzberg.de/fileadmin/us...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines