Bentota Travel Answers

change location
sriramlovesmusic's Profile Photo

My Blind Date with Sri Lanka

by sriramlovesmusic Online Now Sep 7, 2010 at 7:58 PM

I love to travel. And I travel impulsively. I wanted to visit Sri Lanka ever since childhood and now after 27 years I have the opportunity. I have 3 nights and 4 days to spend in the country. My research has lead me to 2 cities Bentota and Colombo. I do understand that there is a forum separately for Bentota however I was thinking a one-stop solution would definitely help. My budget (excluding air fare) is roughly 25000 LKR. I am not a fussy traveler. here are my following questions that will help my quest.
1. From the International airport there is a bus that takes me to a bus stand. Do I have priate/state transport busses that take me to Bentota and a rough cost in LKR?
2. I have a flight that lands at 02:30 Local time and post immigration etc I may be free by 04:0 AM. Is it ideal for me to go to bentota at that time and will there be public transportation available?
3. Will I be able get budget accommodations in Bentota within a price range of 2000 LKR (twin sharing). Please note that I am travelling with my wife (good looking) and I want no trouble where I stay.
4. I am planning 2 days in bentota and 1 day in Colombo. Is that an ideal cost effective plan or coming to Colombo on the 2nd day and staying there makes better sense. Wife likes to shop and we both club too. (28th October - Thursday to 1st November Saturday morning)
5. Which is the central part of Colombo where I could stay and have easy access to shopping/pubs/clubs?
6. Over and above all of this, is 25000 LKR sufficient to conquer my quest?
I love the country and I need your advise...HELP PLEASE

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • HansDK's Profile Photo

Re: My Blind Date with Sri Lanka

by HansDK Online Now Sep 8, 2010 at 2:03 AM

1. There are few direct buses from Katunayake to Matara. These buses pass through Bentota. Otherwise it's bus 187 from Katunayake to Colombo and then bus 400 to Aluthgama (or any bus - 2, 32, 60 - going further south). Rough cost per person: AC bus LKR 200, non AC bus LKR 120.

2. Buses are running all night, bus less frequent than during daytime.

3. Hardly. Count on minimum double that amount. When I checked about 6 months ago: Goldi Guesthouse/Hotel Ocean Breeze (just behind Taj Exotica) - not a nice place - was Double room BB Non-AC LKR 2,500 - AC LKR 3,500. Southern Palm Villa Hotel (just behind Taj Exotica) was Double room BB AC LKR 4,000. Hotel Susanthas (next to Bentota Railway station) was Double room BB from LKR 3,900 + 10% Service Charge.

5. Bambalapitiya - Kollupitiya - Fort.

6. Depends on what kind of shopping like to do. Clubbing in Colombo is not cheap.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines