Bentota Travel Answers

change location

Living In Sri Lanka

by Ian&Venetia Online Now May 3, 2006 at 4:20 AM

We love Sri Lanka so much that we are thinking about buying a property in the Bentota area. Can anyone out there give us any information about how we go about getting permission to live there permanently or how long is the maximum that we are allowed to stay at any one time?

Thanks in advance,

Ian & Venetia

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • erikdr's Profile Photo

RE: Living In Sri Lanka

by erikdr Online Now May 3, 2006 at 5:37 AM

Hi I & V,

Individual stays, up to some 3-6 months, are not that difficult to get as long as you prove that you spend a minimum daily amount.

Permanent residency, and buying property without a 100% tax surcharge, is an ALTOGETHER different story. See www.immigration.gov.lk for all the details. Only the rather wealthy ones need to apply, simple mortals with only a 2nd home usually not...

Hope this helps a bit,

& [Sandya] - still planning to make this same step one day but using Sandya's dual nationality as an important aid...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: RE: Living In Sri Lanka

by Ian&Venetia Online Now May 8, 2006 at 2:44 AM

Hi Erik,

Thanks for replying.

I had been looking around and had come to pretty much the same conclusion myself but you've pretty much confirmed it for me now - and broken my beloved wifes' heart!

We could have sold up here in the uk and bought a place in Sri Lanka but I don't think that we can afford a home in both countries. We'll just have to make do with holidays I guess.

Ian & Venetia

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines