Bentota Travel Answers

change location
digitalgraeme's Profile Photo

Malaria in Sri Lanka

by digitalgraeme Online Now Jun 15, 2005 at 1:05 PM

Hi,

Going to Sri Lanka for 18 days in August / Sept. . Staying at Bentota Beach Hotel for part of trip. Can't Wait! I have read that there is NO MALARIA along East coast, but possibly in other parts of island. We are going on a 6 day tour around main tourist attractions. Do we need to take anti-malaria measures? Have previous vistors taken anything or is it unnecessary? We don't really want to have to take them unless totally needed.....

Many Thanks
Graeme

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • CathL's Profile Photo

RE: Malaria in Sri Lanka

by CathL Online Now Jun 15, 2005 at 8:52 PM

If you are staying near the coast you won't need Malaria tablets, if you are going inland it is recommended that you do take them.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: Malaria in Sri Lanka

by Whystical Online Now Jul 30, 2005 at 2:46 AM

I took them the first time I went but not the second time I went because I had other things to think about. My advice is to definately make sure all your injections/shots are up to date, especially hepatitis and you are sure to get bitten by mosquitos so take good insect repellent and cream for the bites. Most places provide mosquito nets so there is no need to worry and of course hotels will take all the neccessary precautions. In Colombo and Kandy you probably won't be affected by Malaria but for other places you may need take anti-malaria tablets or something. Hope this helps.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines