Benbecula

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• seeking accomodation edinburgh

Edinburgh Jan 17, 2016 at 7:05 AM

hi me and my comrade are looking to move to Edinburgh around march 2016 , we would like to rent two bed apartment ,but would need to find somewhere to rest awhile ,while we search being we are both late 40s rather not do hostles or pay too much either as you can appreciate settling anew is already costly any suggestions would be great. I was in Edinburgh last year and fell in love with it ,maybe its my Scottish roots surname( mackay) apparently hale from the highlands where I hope to be skiing. many thanks

more
    • Good bases for family trip

Scotland Yesterday

My husband and I are traveling with our 11 and 6 year old boys to Scotland for 2 weeks in June and I need your help to put this trip together!
      Aside from traveling days we'll have 16 full days in Scotland. We want to spend our first 3 days in Edinburgh and then we want to rent a car and spend the rest of our trip in the Highlands. I was thinking we could spend 2 nights in the Isle of Skye and for the rest of the trip I was hoping we could divide the time in two, one part in the western highlands and one on the eastern side. Could you recommend two good locations where we could rent houses or cottages to use as a base?
      We are looking for rentals in very scenic and quaint places.
      We want to be able to do daily drives to see beautiful scenery, wildlife, nature, villages, castles and just get a taste of life in the Highlands.
      We'll try to go to the Highland games in Oban on June 26th.
      Thanks for all comments and advise!

more
    • paddington28's Profile Photo

Theatre in edinburgh

Edinburgh Jan 23, 2016 at 9:40 AM

Can anyone please tell me if there is a theatre near Edinburgh Zoo? If so is the Zoo and theatre far from the centre as i have been reading reviews that the Zoo is hard top find.
      Regards,
      Paddington!

more
    • Crazywoman's Profile Photo

Visiting castle and the green hills of Scotland

Edinburgh Jan 21, 2016 at 1:52 AM

After asking about castle hotels in the Dublin forum (for Dublin and Edinburgh) and having done some more research, we found out that a few of them were already fully booked, were too expensive or not as available as we would like them to be.

We have therefor decided that we would most likely stay in Edinburgh and make a day trip or two to visit a castle and maybe have lunch or afternoon tea and a walk in the area if possible. Any suggestions for this?

We are also interested in visiting an area were we can see and maybe take a hike in the "green hills of Scotland" and visit a smaller town. Does anyone have suggestions for this.

We would prefer to travel by public transportation.

more
    • Scotland Itinerary review please

Scotland Jan 24, 2016 at 6:54 PM

Thank you for time. I am a bit concerned I haven't left enough time for Aviemore region, but don't know what I can do about it? I know we can't see everything in 2weeks. We spent a week in Scotland straight out of Uni and loved it (even in deepths of winter) However, we realised that you'd need months to see it's gems. Unfortunately, time and money will not allow such luxuries. Below is our itinerary so far... any insights would be appreciated.
      Arrive 24th August 2016 8am Heathrow Airport. Pick up car drive to Epping?? Train into London.
      Spend day in London for our kids. Palace, Park, Westminster Abbey. Train back to Epping in PM. Stay??
      25th- August- Quick look around Cambridge drive to York. Stay York Booked
      26th August-Leave York. Drive through Durham to Peebles.(lots of little stops.)
      27th Drive to Pentlandhills (2hrs to wander) drive to Falkirk and Blackness Castle. Stay?(Do we squeeze in Bannockburn?)
      28, 29th Edinburgh- Accom Booked
      30th Drive to Perth, then explore Crieff, Dunkeld, hike Hermitage.etc Stay Pitlockry?
      1st of September-Pass of Killiecrankie & Queen’s view, Kinloch Rannoch. Stay Pitlochry again.
      2nd of September-Drive through Braemar, Ballater, Grantown spey, Stay Nethy Bridge.
      3rd of September- Aviemore, Tulloch Ghru, Cairn Gorm Mountain, Newtonmore Highland Folk Museum.(TOO MUCH?) Stay Nethy Bridge again.
      4th of September- Drive to Inverness, Urghart Castle, Glen Affric. Stay Inverness.
      5th September- Culloden in morning. Drive nth through Lairg, Durness, follow coat south to Stay Ullapool.
      6th-8th September on The Outerhebrides-Lewis
      9th of September- Ferry back to mainland arrive 4.30pm. Drive coast to Applecross. Arrive is sunset.
      10th September-Look around Applecross. Drive to Strome Castle, Plockton, Eilean Donan Castle, Glenfinnan viaduct. Stay Kinlochleven.
      11th of September- Glencoe. Stay Kinlochleven again.
      12th-Drive through Loch Lomond to Stirling. See Bannockburn? (If haven’t). Stay Stirling.

more
    • giampiero6's Profile Photo

Hiking the Scottish Highlands

Scotland Feb 2, 2016 at 7:48 AM

Hello Friends. Hope you're all well! I am planning a trip with friends to do some trekking in the Scottish highlands. Ideally we'd like to combine some real adventure with a bit of scotch drinking and conviviality in town. Does anyone have any advice for a route? We could do perhaps 10 - 15 miles per day followed (ideally) by a night in a spot with a meal and a drink. Does such a thing exist? We were thinking about Skye or something similar. We're fairly experienced at hiking and can handle most (non technical stuff) but I'm not sure such a thing exists. I've read about the Skye Trail, but I don't know if it would be strung together by stops with accommodation.

I know the weather is changeable and quickly so. Does anyone have any experience outdoors in this part of the country. Anecdotes to paint a picture behind median high and love temps and precipitation?

Thank you as ever, travel gurus!

G

more
    • alza's Profile Photo

10 days in Scotland, April 2016

Scotland Feb 4, 2016 at 1:06 PM

Hello! A friend and I wish to travel around 10 April from Montréal to Scotland (Glasgow or Edinburgh). We'd leave Scotland for London on 21 April --

(and carry on, eventually taking the Eurostar to Brussels. Fly from Brussels back to Montréal around 29 April.)

Neither of us know Scotland at all, my friend asked if I would look into basic planning (i.e., number of days in each place, daytrips to consider, etc.) We don't know yet whether we should arrive in Glasgow or Edinburgh, which one offers best flight deals from Montréal, etc. I spent hours last night looking at flights to Glasgow. It got confusing, mostly because I was too excited about the trip to do a proper search.

I'm starting to get my act together now & would be *very* grateful for advice and experience about "How to get there" from Montréal (direct or via London) -- in terms of practicality & cost.

The order of visit for either Glasgow or Edinburgh doesn't matter.

Also, we'll consider flying into London Heathrow or Gatwick, then heading for GLA or EDI by express train, hopefully from London airport (avoiding having to go into London town for a train, if possible.)

On 21 April, we plan to take the train (probably from Edinburgh) to London, accommodations for 4 days in London city centre, to allow for a couple of easy daytrips. (I'll be using "Britain from the Rails" guidebook, 2013 edition, for all train travel. It has great advice & many tips for all of Britain so won't get into that aspect of our trip here now.)

Thanks in advance for any advice you can share, especially about flights Montréal to Scotland, and return flights from Brussels to Montréal. This one, by the way, could well be a return from Amsterdam to Montréal, if it means more frequent flights and lower prices. I personally might not even go to Brussels, other than to meet my friend on last day, for the flight home. :-)

more