Bellagio Travel Answers

change location
Daviegirl's Profile Photo

travel from Milan/Bellagio

by Daviegirl Online Now Jan 25, 2011 at 10:23 AM

My husband & I will be arriving in Milan via train and plan to go directly to Bellagio. We plan to stay 3 nights at the Grand Hotel Villa Sirbelloni --- any comments on if it is worth the price and if 3 days will be too long? We plan to rent a car from Milan & drive to/from Milan train station keeping car for stay -- is a car more of a nuisance than asset there. We will be going on via train from Bellagio to Venice.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: travel from Milan/Bellagio

by leics Online Now Jan 25, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Driving in Milan will be 'interesting', I suspect. There is a ZTL (restricted traffic zone) monitored by CCTV cameras with automatic fines (taken directly from your card, sometimes several months later).

And Milan traffic can be very congested indeed.

Although Bellagio itself does not have a railway station it is quite near to Malpensa. It might make more sense to take the new Malpensa airport train from Milan Centrale (45 minutes) and then pick up your car from the airport.

Train times, details and fares in English here;

trenitalia.it/homepage_en.ht...

Search for 'Malpensa aeroporto'.

I haven't driven the area so cannot comment as to whether a car is essential. Those who like cars and driving will say it is, of course.

But there are local buses if you wish to explore further afield without a car:

sptlinea.it/Lineeeorari/Libr...

and the lake ferries:

http://www.navlaghi.it/eng/com/nlc.html

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Daviegirl's Profile Photo

Re: travel from Milan/Bellagio

by Daviegirl Online Now Jan 25, 2011 at 11:56 AM

We've driven through most of Italy, including Rome so are not fearful of the traffic. My concern was parking in the small towns, we can pay to park overnight at the hotel. We are definitely not bus people but will probably use the ferries for some scenic excursions. Any first hand experience with the Grand Hotel Villa Sirbelloni??? Your comments would be appreciated.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines