Belize City Travel Answers

change location

safe for 21 year old woman to do internship in belize city???

by roachrp Online Now Mar 23, 2009 at 7:44 AM

daughter planned on going to belize city to do humanitarian internship, possibly with the garifuna people. red flags abound at this point about her safety as we read lots of reports about how dangerous this destination is. please give us input. she would not be with a group, just herself. are these crime reports ovrblown, or should we be genuinely concerned?
are there other areas of the country belize which would be a safer choice?
thanks so much for any input/experiences in this city.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: safe for 21 year old woman to do internship in belize city???

by hickatee Online Now Mar 27, 2009 at 8:38 PM

Belize City has its fair share of bad press, and undoubtedly it's not the safest area of Belize, and perhaps not the best introduction to the country. Your daughter might feel more comfortable in a smaller town: Dangriga has a large Garifuna population, and there are also the Garifuna villages of Hopkins, Seine Bight, Georgetown (Stann Creek District), and Barranco (Toledo District).

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • captaingordo's Profile Photo

Re: safe for 21 year old woman to do internship in belize city???

by captaingordo Online Now Jul 18, 2009 at 5:49 PM

I have been to Belize city a dozen times, i always stay at a very safe little hotel called the Belcove Hotel, its right downtown, about 60 second walk to the swing bridge and the main water taxi terminal.
    I know who the Garifuna people are,i love btheir music, originaly from africa and they make up only about 4-5 % of the population, for the most part they are happy people and are probley not desperate for humanitarian help, just poor, however there are others who desperately need it. I would highly recomend you make a short trip to belize WITH your daughter if you can for a week, stay at the Belcove[belcove.com]
    make a few day trips to differant areas,look at optains, talk to the cathlic church, there are many many orphanes that need help, many poor familys that cant afford to send their kids to school, cant afford school uniforms etc.
    there are many areas where she will be attacked/killed, most people dont go out after dark. even in the countryside, small towns are bad. the best place is Belize city, near people and help, hospitals etc.
    Renting an apartment may not be your best bet, many places are 600 to 800 a month and are in areas where someone will breakin and kill you in a week, yes its that bad, i would try the hotel, you can get a monthly rate, probly 600 a month, it has 24hr security,very clean,very safe. close to everything
    try my email i can give you many ideas, tips on safety and numbers of good, decent people to talk to iamgordo@hotmail.com thanks

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines