Belize City Travel Answers

change location
Jerseyboy_88's Profile Photo

Belize City Transportation to San Ignacio, Belize

by Jerseyboy_88 Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 6:30 AM

Has any one else used the chicken buses from Belize City to San Ignacio before? Is it Luggage friendly? How much is it? Thanks all :D

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • walkietalkie2012's Profile Photo

Re: Belize City Transportation to San Ignacio, Belize

by walkietalkie2012 Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 3:18 AM

since nobody answer this, let me try... i don't recall seeing chicken buses while in Belize. While Belize is laidback it is an english speaking country. They have regular buses with luggage racks. Can't recall the price as we go the other way round but is not expensive.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • MisterBeee's Profile Photo

by MisterBeee Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 4:48 PM

We don't call the buses "chicken" buses here -- just buses.

Most of the buses are used Bluebird school buses; not very comfortable, not air-conditioned, and not well equipped to handle luggage, but they are cheap! Air-conditioned buses are used on some Express runs. Buses operate on Sundays and public holidays, sometimes on a less frequent schedule.

When boarding a bus at a terminal, just get on and find a seat. Buses tend to be crowded, so try to get to the terminal well before the departure time to be assured of a seat. Luggage can be stored in overhead racks, or at the back of the bus, or wherever the conductor says. Always keep an eye on your luggage because passengers often use the rear emergency door as an entrance or exit. I like to keep my luggage within arms reach if possible. Once the bus gets going, a conductor will collect the fares.

The fare from BC to SI is BZ$7 (US$3.50) per passenger.

• EllenH's Profile Photo

by EllenH Online Now Oct 7, 2013 at 9:49 PM

We used taxi and they did indeed call them chicken buses, and it was hot and they were crowded and they stop at every town so we did go with the taxi driver that needed the gas money to san ignacio. probably saved an hour. And it was US $60 and a bargain, we paid more to get back. It is cheap to stay, eat, and drink, to do anything or get anywhere you will pay.alot. If you want to stand up on a hot bus with a bunch of backpackers from austraila for 3 hours then you will take the bus, other wise find an alternate more expensive way.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines