Belgium Travel Answers

change location
tathraman's Profile Photo

Train- Zeebrugge to Brussels

by tathraman Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 9:47 PM

I know this can be done but I'd appreciate a link to a timetable. Please don't direct me to the official website as I've spent half a frustrating hour being told my input is unclear or there is no service that day...... TIA

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Train- Zeebrugge to Brussels

by leics Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 11:59 PM

You are right that it can be done. You can travel from anywhere to anywhere by train in Europe as long as each place has a railway station and is connected to the general network (there are tiny number of separate lines).

You can see the basic times & journey details in english on the excellent:

bahn.com/i/view/overseas/en/...

Basically, it's train from Zeebrugge Dorp to Brugge then a change of train and on to Brussels Centraal.

For fares as well you would normally have to use the official Belgian railway website:

http://www.b-europe.com/Travel

The international section (link above) gives clear information in English; not sure why you were having a problem. But as the journey can't be booked online you can't get the fare for the whole journey (which is irritating).

But you'll get all the departure times and change details, and can ask at Zeebrugge station about fares if no-one here can help.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • johngayton's Profile Photo

by johngayton Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 5:26 AM

You will pobably find it easier to take the Coastal Tram down to Oostende and catch the train from there. The tram will cost a couple of Euros (max - I'm not sure whether there's a cheaper ticket for shorter journeys as I usually use it from Adinkerke to Oostende). From Oostende trains leave for Brussels twice an hour, journey tme 1 hr 12 mins and cost 16.40 euros standard fare.

• Re: Train- Zeebrugge to Brussels

by K_V_B Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 8:01 AM

One of the confusing things about Zeebrugge is that there are two stations. Zeebrugge Strand (near the beach) and Zeebrugge Dorp (which is in the village). In the winter trains run every two hours, to Strand on weekends, and to Dorp during the week. In summer they rund ever hour, and always to Strand. Because at this time of the year the trains only run every two hours you are probably better of just taking a bus to Brugge or the tram to Oostenden, and continuing by train from there. The trip planner at www.nmbs.be will propose a solution including bus and or tram if that is faster. How are you arrving? If on the ferry than Zeebrugge-Strand is within walking distance of one of the ferry docks.

• johngayton's Profile Photo

by johngayton Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Note that the Coast Tram runs every 10 minutes in summer, every 20 minutes in winter, to Oostende from several Zeebbrugge stops with a journey time of about 45 minutes and that the main stop at Oostende is the railway station and so you can time your correspondance more conveniently than getting the train or bus into Brugge.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Belgium Travel Answer Locations