Belgium Travel Answers

change location

Deactivated grenade from belgium to london?

by green4 Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 5:58 AM

so i am in belgium and i bought a deactivated grenade. i am travelling back to london tomorrow from luxembourg airport on british airways. I have hold luggage as well as hand luggage. can I put my deactivated grenade in hold luggage? or will it be confiscated?

Quote & Answer
21 Answers
  • cachaseiro's Profile Photo

Re: Deactivated grenade from belgium to london?

by cachaseiro Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 6:19 AM

they will confiscate it and i am not sure you will get on to the plane at all as they might suspect you of various things. Do not take it on to a plane in any way if you ask me. Send it by mail back home.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • johnstratton's Profile Photo

by johnstratton Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 6:19 AM

Don't be surprised if you're arrested!

1 member found this helpful

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 6:26 AM

I'll vote with Claus that it's insanely risky to try and get this thing on a plane - even in checked luggage. I would have had the merchant at the shop where it was purchased package/ship it, or you could try and have it shipped yourself. I'm not even sure that will work as a postage service - if they know what it is - may refuse to handle it.

• Miguelzgz's Profile Photo

by Miguelzgz Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 6:26 AM

I am pretty sure first thing they will do is to confiscate it, then they will arrest you, and then you will have to explain everything, and it will take long time, and they will have to check that it is r

• anilpradhanshillong's Profile Photo

by anilpradhanshillong Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 6:43 AM

As a former police officer, I'll say they'll arrest you first ..... and then ask questions later.

• ant1606's Profile Photo

by ant1606 Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 6:48 AM

In first place, can you be sure it's really deactivated? With this kind of stuff I wouldn't put my faith in the seller. Even if it was shown to you disassembled and missing the load, it may still have working parts such as the detonator. I recommend to get rid of it and not take it with you. Non only trying to get it aboard a plane but just carrying it around could put you in serious trouble. Shipping isn't a good idea either. It will be detected, causing chaos in the service, and you'll eventually be tracked down with obvious consequences.

by cachaseiro Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 7:44 AM

I don't know the first thing about grenades but i assume that what we are talking about is some old grenade that is a collectors item. That should be ok to ship home in a package i would think.

A modern type grenade would be highly forbidden to carry anywhere in Western Europe unless you have special permission.

• hawkhead's Profile Photo

by hawkhead Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 8:12 AM

I would imagine that you would have to obtain the same sort of papers that are required when carrying any sort of firearm aboard a plane. If it is an old-fashioned type of grenade, you should have authenticated papers verifying same.

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Don't even think about it unless you want problems in your life. Most likely it will be confiscated. cheers tommy x

• Re: Deactivated grenade from belgium to london?

by K_V_B Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Not only would you probably not get home that day (and probably not the next day either) you are also going to make yourself very impopular with lots of people. Three years ago someone tried exactly that on the Eurostar from Paris to London. The end result: Three cancelled Eurostars. A two hour evacuation of Paris Nord. We ended up in London several hours late, as did many other people. Remember that if you cause a plane to be cancelled or leave late that airline will try to recover its considerable expenses for you. This could well become the most expensive souvenir you've ever bought.

• canuck68's Profile Photo

by canuck68 Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 9:07 AM

What possessed you?

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

by lmkluque Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 9:09 AM

green4 wrote: so i am in belgium and i bought a deactivated grenade. i am travelling back to london tomorrow from luxembourg airport on british airways. I have hold luggage as well as hand luggage. can I put my deactivated grenade in hold luggage? or will it be confiscated?
     Of course I do not know the definitive answer to your question but I would mention that you have four organizations to deal with before you take the grenade with you.  The Belgium government, the airport authority, the plane's company policy and the British government.  It seems to me that they would all have a say over this issue.  Also, if you tried to mail it to yourself, then you'd have the postal authority of both Belgium and England to deal with.

Your best bet would be to have the seller ship it to your address. If the seller is a reputable dealer he should know the laws and how to do it legally.

Good Luck!

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 11:41 AM

I agree.

The only way to get this thing home without mega mega problems is to have the seller send it to you properly. a reputable seller will not only know how to do this but will do it.

In fact, i suspect a reputable seller would have told you about the very real risks of you trying to take it home yourself.

Of course you can't put it in hold luggage. All hold luggage is scanned, and there is no way the scan can tell if the grenade is deactivated or not.

Same when you go through security with hand luggage. Do you *really* want all the hassle of being treated as a potential terrorist?

As for sending it through the post yourself: really, it's not a good idea. You'll probably end up with the same problems as you will have if you try to bring it home on the plane.

• davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 12:21 PM

On my last trip to Thailand i bought a toy pistol that shot plastic pellets so i could frighten my neighbour's cats and i had to fill in forms at the airport and i was not allowed to put it in my luggage. It was given back to me when i reached my destination in Manila.!!! So i can only imagine what it may be like for you and your grenade!!!

• ranger49's Profile Photo

by ranger49 Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 3:41 PM

I am surprised that as you have posted your question on a public forum somebody has not already reported you to the authorities as a suspect/potential terrorist.

by cachaseiro Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 4:58 PM

I don't think a terrorist will ask in a travel forum if taking a grenade onboard a plane is ok

• Re: Deactivated grenade from belgium to london?

by green4 Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Thanks for all the replies and help. In answer as to where I got it? I got it from a reputable museum on ww2, they sell deactivated ww2 grenades

• Miguelzgz's Profile Photo

by Miguelzgz Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Maybe in the museum they know the best way to send their products abroad. Can you ask them?

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Your post says you are travelling today, so maybe you've got things sorted out now?

Do let us know how you got on.....

• ZeekLTK's Profile Photo

by ZeekLTK Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Yeah this sounds like a terrible idea. England is a huge police state now and one of the worst countries in the world to travel to because they are all "omg everyone is a terrorist" (USA is just as bad). Would not be a good idea to try to take some kind of weapon (even "deactivated") with you into that country. You should be able to mail it from Belgium - the place that sells it should know how to properly ship it.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 12:05 PM

It's not 'England': it's the UK. Of course it is not 'a huge police state'.

I don't know what personal experience you may have with entering EU countries recently but I think you'll find that security procedures within them (and elsewhere) are pretty much standardised. The grenade is highly unlikely to have even got through security at the Luxembourg end...but perhaps the OP will come back and tell us what happened.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Belgium Travel Answer Locations