Belfast Travel Answers

change location
eastrunner's Profile Photo

Belfast for 3 days

by eastrunner Online Now Jun 9, 2009 at 1:45 AM

Hi All

we were thinking of spending 3 days in Northern Ireland in August

1st if all is it a worthwhile place to go to?

Is there much to do in and around Belfast, do we need a car when we are there?

We like cites like Prague to Paris would this compare in any way to those in terms of local culture and events?

Thanks

Er

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • planxty's Profile Photo

Re: Belfast for 3 days

by planxty Online Now Jun 9, 2009 at 6:55 AM

Well, I was brought up in Belfast although I have not lived there for many years.

It certainly would not compare to Paris in terms of size and things to do, or Prague with it's great history but it is certainly worth visiting.

A car is useful as the whole of Northern ireland is easily driveable in a day trip (it is not a large country). With a car you could explore the North Antrim Coast with the Giants Causeway, Dunluce Castle, Carrick-a-rede rope bridge etc. or the Mourne Mountains, which are beautiful, or Strangford Lough which is basically a huge nature reserve.

If you do not have a car, the centre of Belfast is easy to walk around, and there are plenty of things to do.

For specific events, you might like to try this website

http://www.nitb.com/

It is the Northern Ireland Tourist Board.

The greatest thing about Northern Ireland is the people. You will find the welcome you receive is tremendous. I have to say, and obviously, I am biased in this, the food and drink aren't bad either.

As a previous reply suggested, probably the best place to start is the VT Belfast page.

Hope this assists,

fergy.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Belfast for 3 days

by pixie183 Online Now Jun 9, 2009 at 8:41 AM

If you're just staying 3 days, you can probably just stick to the city centre. Some of the best things to do include the zoo, the castle and the The Odyssey entertainment complex. The city has improved a lot over the last ten years, and it's really a nice city to visit.

• clivedinburgh's Profile Photo

by clivedinburgh Online Now Jun 9, 2009 at 8:51 AM

I'd a couple of mates over for a weekend just before I left Belfast in 2004 and we managed the following over 3 days;
    Fri
    Dinner at Dirty Duck in Holywood
    Rugby for Ulster v Munster who had Chritian Cullen playing
    Drinks in town (Apartment, Red Sq, Irene & Nans, etc)
    Sat
    Tour of city
    Dinner at Nick's Warehouse
    Drinks up Lisburn road
    Sun
    Tour of the Oval football ground courtesy of Tommy the groundsman
    Walk round Stormont grounds
    Drive to Giants Causeway
    Dinner in Portrush
    Night out in Derry
    Mon
    Back to Belfast to get them on the ferry home

• SallyM's Profile Photo

by SallyM Online Now Jun 9, 2009 at 10:49 AM

Belfast is certainly nothing like Paris or Prague, but it is certainly worth a visit, in my opinion. As for local culture, when I visited, there was a major Irish dancing competition going on.

It would be a pity to go to Belfast and miss the Giant's Causeway. If you decide against hireing a car, there are organised tours - I went on one which combined it with the Bushmills Distillery when I was there for a conference a while ago.

• Travel_kat's Profile Photo

by Travel_kat Online Now Jun 10, 2009 at 12:10 AM

Nobody mentioned it, but when I visited Belfast in July 2007, I really liked the "black cab tour" of West-Belfast with all the murials. Also the "Titanic boat trip" on the Lagan was worthwhile. Personally I think 2 days is enough for Belfast and reserve 1 day for the Giant's Causeway and Carrick-a-rede-rope bridge. You can do this by car or by organized tour. The tourist information center near the City Hall were very helpful with planning our visit.

• Re: Belfast for 3 days

by curt09 Online Now Jun 11, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Hi there, there is a lot to do in Belfast for 3days.. You can go on various
    tours; black cabs, peaceline walking tours, sight seeing bus tours and then yoU have a choice of bars,clubs and resturants.. From August 06-09 is the Food Festival and from the 1st to the 9th is the West Belfast Festival all great craic.. While i'm on the forum i'll shamefully plug a new hostel that i'm
    opening beside Queens on University road called Vagabonds Belfast, check out our website..

Cheers and enjoy our city

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines