Belfast Travel Answers

change location

Liverpool to Belfast by Ferry passport control

by ansonlee_324 Online Now Jul 14, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Anyone know about taken a Ferry from liverpool to Belfast is any passport control or just check the ID by ferry staff only?
Where to checking-in with car in ferry port?DO i need get out the car to do the check-in?
Thanks

Quote & Answer
16 Answers
  • globetrott's Profile Photo

Re: Liverpool to Belfast by Ferry passport control

by globetrott Online Now Jul 14, 2011 at 2:40 PM

it will depend on the ferry, but in principal I remember that I always stayed inside the car - I was always the only person in the car, had to line up, somebody came to the car to check the ticket (someone from the ferry, NO officer) and then you drive on the ship. park the car, get out and that was it.
    Belfast-Liverpool is a ferry from GB to GB, so there should normally be no ID-control, BUT you never know, sometimes they search for somebody and then they check again everybody untill they have found that person.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Liverpool to Belfast by Ferry passport control

by ansonlee_324 Online Now Jul 14, 2011 at 2:56 PM

hi,is all my family will stay in a car for boading to the ship or just me stay in a car for boading to the ship?Thanks again

by globetrott Online Now Jul 14, 2011 at 3:10 PM

that will depend on the ship, BUT I always travel alone so I really dont know.
    I can imagine that some ships charge by person and so they will check of course, whether you have some more people behind a seat or what-ever.
    Also another point: they will not be happy to have lots of people running around on the car-decks, so maybe everybody except the drivers have to leave the car und use another entrance.

by ansonlee_324 Online Now Jul 14, 2011 at 3:13 PM

so when i need to shown my ID?Is driving licence ok?

• ranger49's Profile Photo

by ranger49 Online Now Jul 14, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Are you a UK citizen in possession of a UK Passport and driving licence?
    If so OK - If not the answers above may not apply.

by globetrott Online Now Jul 14, 2011 at 3:21 PM

I never count on my driverslicence, when entering any country, and you obviously have to get to Liverpool first and cannot enter GB with only a D.L.

by ranger49 Online Now Jul 14, 2011 at 3:21 PM

I should have added that there could be heightened border security at the present time.

by globetrott Online Now Jul 14, 2011 at 3:22 PM

and sometimes they also come with drug-dogs while you are waiting for the ferry

by ansonlee_324 Online Now Jul 14, 2011 at 3:39 PM

I'm British,but look at the website said driving licence for boarding is ok,but I have no idea when need to shown my ID and is who to check my ID?is ferry staff or immigration officer?

by ranger49 Online Now Jul 14, 2011 at 3:48 PM

As long as you are confident that you meet the entry requirements don't worry - it will be very clear when you reach the point at which you are required to show identification .
    Just have your documents/Driving Licence ready.
    But in view of the heightened security checks I mentioned be prepared for random checks - to amswer questions and even to have your vehicle searched. That has happened to me at more than one friendly border crossing.

• Kathrin_E's Profile Photo

by Kathrin_E Online Now Jul 14, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Travel from Liverpool to Belfast does not cross any border, so why should there be any immigration control?

by ansonlee_324 Online Now Jul 14, 2011 at 4:48 PM

if no immigration control,why they need a ID for boading a ship and who will checking my ID?I'm so confuse it,coz my passport in my mum house.

by globetrott Online Now Jul 14, 2011 at 5:02 PM

in Austria we are mostly told: a D.L. is NO ID, but in other countries it seems to be different !
    So, when you are travelling inside your own country (GB)and that country would normally accept a DL as an ID, why would they not accept it on a ferry inside your own country ?
    The sense of an ID is to make sure its you, not somebody else who is travelling under your name.

• Kathrin_E's Profile Photo

by Kathrin_E Online Now Jul 14, 2011 at 10:25 PM

You need your ticket to board the ferry, that is most important. Do they do ID controls on ferries nowadays? Why would the ferry company care who is travelling with them as long as the ticket has been paid for?

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jul 14, 2011 at 10:33 PM

There is no need to be confused and no need to worry about exactly *who* will be checking your identity.

Here is the ID information from the ferry website for the Liverpool>Belfast ferry:

>All passengers aged 18 or over must produce photographic identification in either the form of a valid passport, valid photographic EU national identity card, valid photographic driving license or valid police warrant card/badge, Citizen Card or a valid Government-issued identity card at Stena Line Irish Sea check-in.

which makes it clear what is acceptable.

norfolkline.com/EN/Irish_Sea...

Kathrin: the answer to your question may be related to the fact that once in N Ireland one can enter the Republic without any ID checks. Also, as Hawkhead has already noted, additional security measures can occur at any time. On my return from Belfast (flying) we were allowed through one part of the corridor in small groups and single file, the face of each person being carefully scanned by security staff as we passed by.

• puerto_lover's Profile Photo

by puerto_lover Online Now Jul 14, 2011 at 10:36 PM

From norfolkline.com/EN/Irish_Sea...

Q5. What documentation do I need to travel?

All passengers aged 18 or over must produce photographic identification in either the form of a valid passport, valid photographic EU national identity card, valid photographic driving license or valid police warrant card/badge, Citizen Card or a valid Government-issued identity card at Stena Line Irish Sea check-in.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Belfast Travel Answer Locations