Belém Travel Answers

change location

miscellaneous information

by ConnieWhite Online Now Jul 19, 2006 at 4:58 AM

Are there ATM machines available to withdraw cash in the local currency? If not, will my hotel be able to exchange my money into their currency or will that option be available at the airport? Do a lot of people speak English?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • RE: miscellaneous information

by Ericos Online Now Jul 19, 2006 at 11:26 PM

In Belem people don't speak Englisch.
    Change your money (dollar or euro) in the "casa do cambio". You can trust it and you get the best exchange. In the great cities (and Belem is one) there are casas de cambio. Ask for it. Try to change as less as possible at the airport or at the Hotel. The exchange is mutch better in the "casas de cambio". Most of casa de cambio are located in the tourist agencies nd is not forbitten in Brasil.
    Good luck
    Regards

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • melosh's Profile Photo

RE: miscellaneous information

by melosh Online Now Jul 27, 2006 at 9:16 AM

I found good functioning convenient ATMs pretty much throughout Belem. The ones I used were often inside the bank before one got to the windows and offices. (It think the NSBC or NBSC was the most convenient. The machines do communicate in English. The exchange rate is good but you should be aware of the fees your bank may charge for taking out cash. Lots of Visa cards will charge 3% (1-4%) for foreign exchange, plus you do start to pay at the maximum interest rate when you take out the money. I have a card that only charges me 1% and I prepay into it to avoid the high interest charges. You can use a credit card to pay lots of bills, but be careful to never let it out of your sight. good luck. bob

• Re: miscellaneous information

by andressabelem Online Now Apr 8, 2012 at 11:47 AM

hi i'm from belem and yes there are many places where you can withdraw money look for "cambio" is the place you can exchange money or go to the regular bank as well. and the answer to the second question is no ! not many people speak english in belem but they understand many things...like good morning ,food addres,directions

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines