Beijing Travel Answers

change location

TRAVELLING TO BEIJING IN WINTER (JANUARY 2014) WITH A TODDLER (1.5 YR OLD BABY GIRL)

by Meeriah Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 12:17 AM

1. Any suggestion on a hotel with a really good heating system to help during winter. I’ve been reading forums about traveling to Beijing during winter time and most complaints would include (heaters in not good condition/not working properly) which would be very troublesome especially if one is traveling with a toddler. Good heat and comfort during winter should always be a priority.

2. Which area in Beijing would be convenient for us to stay? (ex. CBD, etc.) Where we can arrange for easy day tours like Great Wall, Tiananmen Square, Forbidden City, etc. and that travel time wouldn’t be so complicated as we have a child as mentioned. I don’t wanna make the same mistake I did last time (in a different place) where I booked a hotel and not digging up more info before I started booking, only to end up booking a place that is 2 hours away from the rest of the crowd. Pick up time too early (they need to pick us up first since our place is too far) and we’re last to be dropped off (since again, our place is the farthest from all the rest).

3. Any other tips pertaining to this trip are very much welcome.

Thank you all In advance for your help :)

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • muratkorman's Profile Photo

by muratkorman Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 12:34 AM

We visited Beijing in March and it was cold at that time too. We were very satisfied with the location and the comfort of our hotel which was Days Inn Forbidden City Hotel. It was walking distance to Wangfujing Road, Tiananmen Square and Forbidden City. Metro was very close and we could easily travel to other destinations. I suggest you take a look at my Beijing page which will give you enough info for starters.
    "A monumental city" - Beijing by muratkorman

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: TRAVELLING TO BEIJING IN WINTER (JANUARY 2014) WITH A TODDLER (1.5 YR OLD BABY GIRL)

by Meeriah Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 12:40 AM

muratkorman wrote:
    We visited Beijing in March and it was cold at that time too. We were very satisfied with the location and the comfort of our hotel which was Days Inn Forbidden City Hotel. It was walking distance to Wangfujing Road, Tiananmen Square and Forbidden City. Metro was very close and we could easily travel to other destinations. I suggest you take a look at my Beijing page which will give you enough info for starters. "A monumental city" - Beijing by muratkorman

Thank you so much! Will be looking at your page now..

Be the first to rate this answer!

• peterseaford's Profile Photo

Re: TRAVELLING TO BEIJING IN WINTER (JANUARY 2014) WITH A TODDLER (1.5 YR OLD BABY GIRL)

by peterseaford Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 2:23 AM

China is alittle different for a tourist and i would suggest that you research - travel China guide.com because there are very many questions that a Mum would like to know about climate , food , language , customs , culture ,
    Beijing is a big city with hotles of international standard .
    please check out that site and you will find all you need to know - the Chinese will try very hard to make you happy

have a wonderful time

regards peter

• Re: TRAVELLING TO BEIJING IN WINTER (JANUARY 2014) WITH A TODDLER (1.5 YR OLD BABY GIRL)

by Meeriah Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 1:12 AM

peterseaford wrote:
    China is alittle different for a tourist and i would suggest that you research - travel China guide.com because there are very many questions that a Mum would like to know about climate , food , language , customs , culture , Beijing is a big city with hotles of international standard . please check out that site and you will find all you need to know - the Chinese will try very hard to make you happy

have a wonderful time

regards peter

Hi Peter, thank you for your input. I'll surely look into this site to find out more about travelling to Beijing during winter. Thank you again :)

by Meeriah Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Bella_China wrote:
    Yes, you just hit the point, Beijing's winter is severely cold, but the heating appliance in large hotels mostly work well, while the one provided in the small hotels can not be guaranteed. So when booking the hotel, booking the large brand hotels for your winter trip is highly recommended.

For the place where to stay considering its convenience, of course staying in the center of downtown around Tianmen Square would be the most convenient, while the room rate for these hotel would be much higher.

Since i do not know what your budget is, it is hard for me to recommend a hotel for you, you could visit tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g2942... to find the one that is most suitable for you considering its location, room rate, and facilities.

Since you are traveling with a kid of 2 year old, in order to avoid troubles, booking a tour for your trip ahead of time to get everything ready ahead of time is kindly recommended. You can book your Beijing tours easily online now, but you need to pick up a reliable travel agency to organize your tour. Last year, my family and i visited Yunnan and joined a tour organized by Chinatour.com, the tour worked well. Hope my experience would give you some hints. Good Luck!

Hi Bella, I was thinking about doing just that. I mean you know, to consider getting a hotel that is a little bit to the 4 or 5 stars instead of getting the normal ones. As a Mom I would normally travel on a budget but I think for occasions such as this were comfort and safety of the family is the main priority, to splurge a little bit on accomodation should be OK. Thank you for your input on the location also, I thought it is wise to stay within the city area. We can do the adventure some other time prolly not during winter :) again, much thanks!

by peternh Online Now Apr 28, 2013 at 4:41 PM

If you're truly interested as the safety of the family, as you mentioned, then you won't be exposing the lungs of your 1.5-year-old baby girl to Beijing's toxic atmosphere, which is worse in winter than at any other time, and can do serious damage to an infant's lungs. Surely you've seen the news?

guardian.co.uk/world/2013/fe...

If you have absolutely no choice but to take your child to Beijing in winter (and heaven knows, the air's dangerous for adults, too), although it's very hard to imagine that you have absolutely no choice, then your 'most convenient' hotel will be one either with a fully functioning PM2.5 filter system on its central air conditioning, or which provides air filtration units such as expats use, on request. Recently the Sofitel had a central system which it claimed scrubbed most of the PM2.5s but I didn't find it made a lot of difference in the room. Some other hotels, such as The Peninsula, willhave systems in place by 2014. The Conrad provided an in-room air filtering system which was noisy, and seemed to work, but that happened to be on days when the pollution was lower.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines