Beaufort Travel Answers

change location

Need directions to the Old Sheldon Church ruins

by kpratt Online Now Jul 1, 2005 at 2:22 PM

Hi! I am getting married at the Old Sheldon Church, but live in NYC. I really need some driving directions from the Beaufort AND Charleston areas. I've only been to the site once, so am not so great at writing out directions. Does anyone know? Thanks so so so much!
Kristen

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • catalysta's Profile Photo

RE: Need directions to the Old Sheldon Church ruins

by catalysta Online Now Aug 27, 2005 at 5:03 PM

Your question intrigued me since I am interested in the Beaufort area, so I looked online to find what I could find. This little historical page gives the closest approximation to directions that I could find - that, & I was able to verify that Old Sheldon Church Road is also SSR 21 on some highway maps, the ruins are "near Yemmassee", and they "sit at the boundary of the old Tomotley Plantation".

The locals seem proud that the old ruins aren't shown on any maps that the general public has access to, so I'm gonna hazard a guess that you'll have to arrive early & ask around when you get to Beaufort, or just drive SSR 21 till you find it. Here is a link for the Tomotley Plantation that may help out: south-carolina-plantations.c...

Have fun exploring! (Was this a test on your fiance's part, LOL?)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • airkarat's Profile Photo

RE: Need directions to the Old Sheldon Church ruins

by airkarat Online Now Feb 11, 2006 at 2:45 PM

Too late for your question, but we found it at Chtistmas on our way to Florida. I've posted the map on the Yemassee, South Carolin page.

• RE: Need directions to the Old Sheldon Church ruins

by Clemsonchk Online Now Nov 8, 2006 at 5:24 AM

I know this is late and a little off base, but I see that you were to get married in the Old Sheldon Church ruins. I note this because I fell in love with this location and wanted to have my own wedding there. There has been only one problem, I cannot find any contact information for the location. I have emailed the city several times with no response, and was wandering if you could send me the contact information. Thanks in advance!

• Re: who to contact?!

by riverchick247 Online Now Jul 18, 2007 at 8:56 AM

I've also wanted to have my wedding there since I saw it the first time!!
    But who on earth do I contact to reserve a date?!?! I've called so many different places and no one seems to know!! Please help, if anyone knows please help me out!!! thanks so much!

• Re: Need directions to the Old Sheldon Church ruins

by egaff Online Now Jan 27, 2009 at 6:00 AM

Did you ever find out who to contact for this location? I too would like to get married there. If you did get married there, could you give pointers as to how you did it all?

Thanks

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines