Bayeux Travel Answers

change location

British war sites

by lizziemik Online Now Aug 23, 2012 at 2:43 PM

All the tours Ive seen seem to be based on American sites. Are there any British based tours of the beaches etc.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • ranger49's Profile Photo

Re: British war sites

by ranger49 Online Now Aug 23, 2012 at 3:28 PM

What an interesting question.
    We love this part of Normandie and return again and again.

Operation Overlord was an Allied operation in which American ( Canadian and other forces) played a crucial part and suffered great losses.

We have been visiting the landings beaches for more than 30 years so have had time to visit all the beaches, memorials and museums as well as several German cemeteries.
    But if time is limited you will want to concentrate on the British sites.
    We have always gone independently with our guide books but I believe some of the best tours are those organised from the UK by organisations like the British Legion and local Regimental Groups.

If you are based in the Uk I would suggest you start by looking into that kind of possibility. Otherwise perhaps this organisation may offer a suitable tour.

bandb-bayeux.com/usguide/tou...

But the best way of all - if you have the time - is to travel by car, at your own pace, with a good history and guide book.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Aug 23, 2012 at 3:34 PM

britishtours.com/france/norm...

there is one. Never taken tours so the best should come from your own googling or contact the tourist office of
    normandie44lamemoire.com/ver...

plenty there to do some planning
    hope it helps

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo

by rexvaughan Online Now Aug 23, 2012 at 5:29 PM

We did a one day tour with a retired British Major General which was excellent. Ours was of the American sector, but he does one day tours of the British and Canadian sectors as well. He and his wife also have a very nice bed n breakfast not far from Coutances. We stayed there and highly recommend it. We had a car, but if you don't, he will help arrange transport. His name by the way is Graham Hollands. Have a great trip!

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Aug 24, 2012 at 12:40 AM

yes i met him at Dieppe once and he had a group with him very informative indeed this guy Rex mentioned;

• cubsur's Profile Photo

by cubsur Online Now Aug 24, 2012 at 12:53 AM

• RoscoeGregg's Profile Photo

by RoscoeGregg Online Now Aug 25, 2012 at 3:27 AM

While in Normandy in 2010 I took a fantastic tour with a guide. It was entirely of the British areas. I posted a tip. Here is the link.

"Treat Yourself To A Great Guide" - Bayeux Things to Do Tip by RoscoeGregg

Dale is not the cheapest but he was VERY good. I can highly recommend him. I receive no compensation from Dale of any kind.

I do highly recommend that you consider a guide for Normandy. I am Mr. Chepo but I do not regret paying for a good guide in Normandy. It is huge and many of the sites are out of the way and some are even on private property. I am better than average with maps but it took me less than a heart beat to realize that unless I was ready to spend A LOT more time I was going to miss many of the things I wanted to see.

Bayex and the surrounding area were great. The people were friendly and helpful. You are in for a great time.

Happy Trails,

Randy

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines