Bayeux Travel Answers

change location

Bayeux holidays

by lwants101 Online Now May 29, 2011 at 6:17 AM

Hello. I live in north east England and would like to visit Bayeux, especially to visit the tapestry, but am also interested in seeing local scenery and any nearby chateux or vinyards. Do you know of any organised holidays from England that would take in these interests? I do not want to drive but am Ok with trains or coaches.
Thank you

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: Bayeux holidays

by Dunx Online Now May 30, 2011 at 5:54 AM

To get there indepedently there are 2 main possibilities. First is going to Portsmouth, then the ferry to Caen (Ouistreham). There is a reasonable rail service between Caen and Bayeux, as well as buses.

A quicker route would be to use Eurostar to Paris then TGV to Caen.

You can do battlefield tours from Bayeux, and there's also a local bus service which could get you around independently. The website shows routes & timetables:
    http://www.busverts.fr/

That Normandy isn't a wine-making area, so you probably won't find vineyards. They are famous for cider, calvados and cheese. It's not really chateau country either.

Because of the WW2 connections you may find tours from UK to Bayeux - google something like 'Battlefield Tours' and you should get some results (or even contact your local British Legion for advice).

Cheers,

D

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Bayeux holidays

by lwants101 Online Now May 30, 2011 at 6:14 AM

Thanks very much. I will look into the idea of the battlefield tours and Eurostar.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines