Bayeux Travel Answers

change location

Normandy from Paris

by MKladstrup Online Now Dec 10, 2009 at 1:15 PM

I am currently in Paris and would really like to get up to Normandy for a day next week to see where it was my deceased father landed on D-Day....my husband and I have Eurail passes - I heard that Bayeax was the easiest town to take the train to. Is this correct? And if so, are there cabs available in Bayeaux to get to the beaches, or any regular english speaking tours? Thanks loads.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Normandy from Paris

by leics Online Now Dec 10, 2009 at 1:22 PM

I am certain there are plenty of taxis in Bayeaux. There are also lots of daytours, but whether they are operating at this time of year I do not know.

For train times and details in English look here:

bahn.de/international/view/e...

For times, details and fares (in French, but easy to work out):

voyages-sncf.com/billet-trai...

Bayeaux official tourist information website in English:

bessin-normandie.fr/tourisme...

Tour operator listings:

bessin-normandie.fr/tourisme...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • traveltime10's Profile Photo

by traveltime10 Online Now Dec 10, 2009 at 1:51 PM

Bayeux is probably your best bet- but from there, I think I would rent a car. Some of the places you may want to see are somewhat spread out- it's not just one beach or one cliff, but several landing sites, the cemeteries, the little towns that were the first to spot Allied troops, the Chateaux that were occupied by German soldiers, etc.- a car may be somewhat expensive, but might give you the best experience all round.

Also, if possible, try to see the Bayeux tapestry- extremely interesting.

• cubsur's Profile Photo

by cubsur Online Now Dec 10, 2009 at 3:07 PM

Yes, in a day trip from Paris at this time of year you would barely have time to see anything without careful planning. The US beaches (Utah and Omaha)are 10 - 30 miles from Bayeux, stretched out along the coastline and a car is virtually essential once there to reach them in the absence of organised tours, as buses are very limited around there.

There's a good outline map of the area here

images.france-for-visitors.c...

Bayeux is 2hrs 5 to 2hrs 30 minutes journey by train from Paris, so to get a decent day this time of year means an early start indeed - 7.07am or 8.45am!

And it will probably be raining, so be prepared.

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

by Roadquill Online Now Dec 10, 2009 at 11:36 PM

There is a very good thread on this on ricksteves.com (ricksteves.com/graffiti/help... From what I recall, you need to connect in Caen to get to Bayeau, which can take some valuable time. For the price of a rental car for the day you can take a half day tour (for one person)thus you get the tour guide for the price of one, plus save on the gas and don't have to guess where you are going. We rented in Caen and then took the long slow coast road starting by the Oster????? and the drove South. This is a long slow drive through the small towns along the Coast, but there is much to see. Karl

• wise23girl's Profile Photo

by wise23girl Online Now Dec 11, 2009 at 1:49 AM

Three years ago we booked a day coach tour from Paris but it was a very long day and we only skimmed.

This year we stayed 4 nights in Hotel Churchill(www.hotel-churchill.fr) and took tours with Normandie Tours who are based in Bayeux and leave from right behind Hotel Churchill.There are cheaper hotels and there are other tours but this is what we did.

Bayeux is central to the beaches but the beaches cover a large area. Do you drive left or right. A tour takes the worry away.

Normandy Sightseeing Tours
    6 rue Saint Jean 14400 BAYEUX FRANCE
    www.normandywebguide.com
    Tél : 00.33.(0)2.31.51.70.52 - Fax : 00.33.(0)2.31.51.74.74
    Email : fredericguerin@wanadoo.fr

Either one of these could tell you if the tours go in winter.

We took a train from Bayeux to Paris. Some you need to change at Caan. Many seats were prebooked. But now is not tourist season is it?

There are taxis in Bayeux but it would be an expensive ride to the landing beaches.

It is a beautiful town..lucky to not be bombed in the war.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines