Bayeux Travel Answers

change location

Sunday openings

by drdlgonzales Online Now Jul 28, 2009 at 6:43 PM

We will be arriving in Paris (CDG) on Saturday morning 8/8/09, and want to go to Normandie. Any hints on the best way to get there and where to stay for about 40-50 euro? We posted on the Caen forum to ask if the museum & memorials are open on Sundays.We read there are no tours on Sundays, is this true? Normally don't do tours but think we won't be able to figure out what & where things happened. tour recommendations. Is rental car necessary. What auto rental is most econmical? We would really appreciate any feedback and your time in responding. again thanks in advance

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • kathymof's Profile Photo

Re: Sunday openings

by kathymof Online Now Jul 28, 2009 at 8:34 PM

I used Overlord Tours when I was there and they were excellent. http://www.overlordtour.com/

I stayed at a nice B&B a few miles outside of town. You would need a car to get back and forth. gibert.eric.free.fr/index.ht...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Jeannette1's Profile Photo

by Jeannette1 Online Now Jul 28, 2009 at 9:19 PM

The Caen memorial is open on Sundays. Check out the website:
    memorial-caen.fr/fr/circuit_...

I highly recommend it but you need at least 1/2 day for the visit.
    Bon voyage

• wise23girl's Profile Photo

by wise23girl Online Now Jul 28, 2009 at 9:51 PM

Lucky thing we were in Bayeux for 4 nights earlier this year. We stayed in Churchill Hotel right in town but it was a bit expensive.

You can get a train direct from Paris to Bayeux. Sometimes you need to change at Caan. Gare St Lazare in Paris.

We used Normandie Tours. They are based in Bayeux. If you want the history I think you need a tour unless you have heaps of time to research.

6 rue Saint Jean 14400 BAYEUX FRANCE

www.normandywebguide.com

Tél : 00.33.(0)2.31.51.70.52 - Fax : 00.33.(0)2.31.51.74.74

Email : fredericguerin@wanadoo.fr

Otherwise in my opinion you would need a car. It is a very extensive area to cover. Sorry I do not know the hire car scene there.

by kathymof Online Now Jul 29, 2009 at 10:11 AM

The American Cemetery is very moving. There is a relatively recent visitors center there that is very well done. I actually went back twice.

There is a Hertz auto rental, about a 10 euro cab ride from the trai station. It is very small and part of a Total gas station just west of the really large round-about on the D613 on the west side of town - I know that is a strange location description but if you look at a map it will be clear. All Hertz gives you for an address is a road name and the road goes for many kilometers.

by kathymof Online Now Jul 29, 2009 at 4:41 PM

another book you might want to check out is "A traveler's guide to D-Day and the Battle for Normandy" by Carl Shilleto and Mike Tolhurst. It provides 7 circuits with lots of commentary and pictures.

• Re: Sunday openings

by drdlgonzales Online Now Aug 2, 2009 at 8:33 AM

Thank you so very much. The info provided was very helpful. We are thankful for your father's service.

• noshipsherlock's Profile Photo

by noshipsherlock Online Now Oct 4, 2009 at 12:18 PM

Im seeking almost the exact same information. I will track replies to YOUR post for answers and suggestions
    Raf

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines