Bayeux Travel Answers

change location
adbracey's Profile Photo

From Bayeux to Omaha Beach

by adbracey Online Now Dec 15, 2006 at 8:42 AM

I have figured out the train travel from Paris to Bayeux, but how to get to the beach, and American Cemetery near by? Is there no bus service? Car rental or taxi?

My wife and I are traveling to Paris in March of 2007 and as a side trip I'd really like to see the site of the Normandy invasion and American Cemetery.

Thanks,

AB

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • PaulKirk's Profile Photo

RE: From Bayeux to Omaha Beach

by PaulKirk Online Now Dec 15, 2006 at 3:54 PM

if you go by train it has to be a taxi. Whilst there is a local bus service (Bus Verts) it is a country service and infrequent. The best way to do it is get a taxi from outside Bayeux Station. Firsly they should be pleased to take you. Secondly they should agree a time for a pick-up and return journey. Thirdly you have to go and we should never forget what our forebears had to do. It's a beautiful cemetery and if you have the time walk down the path to the beach. It's a long way from Paris so hiring a car and going early and getting back late is worth thinking about. The cemetery opens about 10am but go to the other landing sites first and make a full day of it. Major Holt's Battlefield guides are a good guide book to plan an itinerary. The British memorial and cemetery at Bayeux are worth seeing too but the guide will show all the American key sites like Utah beach, Pointe de Hoc and St Mere Eglise. The landings took place at dawn and it is probably too far from Paris to be there at daylight but if you can be there it is truly evocative at first light. Private Ryan has nothing on your own imagination when you stand on hallowed ground.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Segolily's Profile Photo

RE: From Bayeux to Omaha Beach

by Segolily Online Now Dec 16, 2006 at 10:50 AM

You might alsol try going to Caen instead and take a tour from there. There are many that cater to American interests. We haven't tried it but have heard good things about Battlebus (http://www.battlebus.fr/tours/).

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines