Bayeux Travel Answers

change location

Paris to Bayeux and Back

by itzfitz Online Now Sep 7, 2005 at 8:18 AM

what is the easiest way to get from Paris to Bayeux and back again? What is the duration of the trip and frequency? How is the weather the first 2 weeks of October, usually? Thanks in advance for your help.
Patty

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • RE: Paris to Bayeux and Back

by Van7ace Online Now Sep 7, 2005 at 11:13 AM

We took the train from Paris to Bayeux. A very easy trip. Once off the train, we got on a bus for a short ride to downtown. On the return trip we took a taxi to the train station and same trip back to paris. You have to forgive me on the duration and frequency-I am guessing about 2 hours. We didn't have a rental car, but my next trip I might think about getting one. GOOD LUCK!!!! Lucky you!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Roadquill's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Paris to Bayeux and Back

by Roadquill Online Now Sep 7, 2005 at 11:37 AM

They appear to take about 1:45 minutes to Caen and then whatever it is on to Bayeux. There appears to be two trains, one that is direct and one where you may have to change trains. I plan on booking my train to Caen today when I am there in September. Let me know if you want the details.
    Karl

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

RE: Paris to Bayeux and Back

by Beausoleil Online Now Sep 7, 2005 at 11:56 AM

You can check the train schedule at http://www.sncf.com/

Weather is a bit hard to predict. You can check a weather web site. We've run into cool but comfortable weather and some rain. The trees are turning color, though, and it should be beautiful.

Enjoy.

• RE: RE: Paris to Bayeux and Back

by itzfitz Online Now Sep 7, 2005 at 1:21 PM

Karl,
    I would love to know the details of your trip. I am trying to decide if we should make this trip or stay in Paris for 2-3 days instead. I have never been to France and we are doing this Pre-cruise (which leaves from Barcelona)I have heard how beautiful and moving it is to visit. I am not a museum person, per se. I love history, though. Please let me know about your trip and your thoughts on my visiting Bayeux. Thanks.
    Patty

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

RE: Paris to Bayeux and Back

by Beausoleil Online Now Sep 7, 2005 at 3:55 PM

If you'd like another opinion, my feeling is that if I had never been to Europe, I would stay in Paris for a few days. There is so much to see and do. You will probably be tired from your trip.

Bayeux is lovely, the town and the cathedral. The Bayeux Tapestry is stunning and the cathedral is one of the loveliest I've seen, especially if you catch the light correctly. But, there are so many places in Paris that are equally wonderful and it's something you shouldn't miss.

Why not take a few days in Paris, get over jet lag, enjoy the city. You could visit Ste. Chapelle (stained glass), Notre Dame (incredible cathedral), the Cluny Museum (Musée de Moyen Age that has the same period as Bayeux and the amazing Lady & the Unicorn Tapestries), and whatever else suits your fancy.

Then in the future, plan a trip to Normandy and see all the fantastic things there, e.g. Bayeux, Mont St. Michel, Giverny, Rouen . . . the list goes on. It really is worth a separate trip.

Anyhow that's my nickel's worth. Whatever you choose to do, I sincerely hope you have a wonderful time.

• RE: Paris to Bayeux and Back

by jayhawk2000 Online Now Sep 12, 2005 at 11:09 AM

Bayeux is 20 minutes further along from Caen by train.

It's a pretty town, the nicest we visited in Normandy, and it is amazing to see up close one of those things usually only read about in history textbooks...the Bayeux tapestry!

The cathedral is lovely too and there's some nice back streets to walk along, past water wheels, old houses, etc. Might prove a nice antidote to the big city.

If you're at all interested in WWII history then definitely make it a day out as Paris was relatively untouched and wasn't witness to such dramatic event as D-Day. The town is close to the D-Day beaches and is surrounded by cemeteries. You'll need to book yourself on a tour to cover ground quickly. When we visited there was a minivan tour you could book for a half day that went to Omaha Beach, Point du Hoc embattlements, a cemetery and the town of Arromanches with its museum. More info and tips on my pages. Happy travels!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines