Bayahibe Travel Answers

change location
Mrod1026's Profile Photo

Going to Oasis Canoa (Formerly Hilton) in September

by Mrod1026 Online Now Jul 23, 2007 at 5:45 PM

My best friend and I are going to stay at the Oasis Canoa in September. We plan to fly into Santo Domingo, spend one night and day visiting the city and then go to the Oasis Canoa. How is the road? Should we drive or rent a taxi? Also, once at the Canoa, what are the best day trips we can do? We are into snorkeling, hiking, and visiting towns, etc. Should we change dollars into pesos? What is the best rate? Any advice will be appreciated!
M.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • virtualpierroro's Profile Photo

Re: Going to Oasis Canoa (Formerly Hilton) in September

by virtualpierroro Online Now Jul 23, 2007 at 6:53 PM

"...drive or rent a taxi" you can also travel from SD to Bayahibe by bus: very easy and cheap....much much cheaper than a taxi.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • asahelys1's Profile Photo

by asahelys1 Online Now Jul 24, 2007 at 8:12 AM

Hello there! The roads in DR are good, just as the roads in NYC, Philly, etc. I have driven from the northwest point in Dr, which is MonteCristi, to south side Santo Domingo, all they way to Punta Cana, It is not bad at all, my advise would be When in Rome, Do as the Romans do, you are allowed to pass in the highways with caution, keep an eye out & drive in defense & offense hard to do at the same time, =0)
    If you like to venture outside the hotel, a car is a must, if you can drive manual transmition they would be the least expensive, also ask if the car will be diesel or gas fuel, (diesel is cheaper)
    The area you are going to stay at its great because you are in the middle between Santo Domingo & La Romana & Higuey (province where Punta Cana is) Its fairly easy to get around. The best day trips in the area would be Altos de Chavon, Isla Saona, Boca Chica (beach area right outside of Santo domingo, sourveniers will be cheaper here) I can go on & on. Its better to change dollars into pesos but they can handle both bills (they like dollars better) just make sure you know the exchange rates, as of today based on DR's newspaper its33.29. Can round of for bartering purposes, =0)

A full map of DR
    elcaballotours.com/img/carte...

various maps of DR per region
    http://www.bocachicabeach.net/maps.html
    any more questions, just send me an email asahelys1@aol.com
    Have Fun!!!

• Mrod1026's Profile Photo

by Mrod1026 Online Now Jul 25, 2007 at 4:46 AM

Thanks my friend. I appreciate your advice!

• Re: Going to Oasis Canoa (Formerly Hilton) in September

by bigbite Online Now Jul 28, 2009 at 9:11 AM

hi there
    you can rent a car from sd and drive if you wish, but try to do it during the day as you don't know the road.
    I wouldn't recomend you to get public transport if you are in a hurry as you may waste too much time travelling. its only 90 min drive
    there is plenty to do in bayahibe, best place for diving in the country. you can do some snorkeling, fishing, go to the islands, saona, catalina or catalinita. you may go with the flow and join big groups for excursions or hire a private boat in the village bayahibe if you prefer indepent travel(which I personally prefer), that depends of your taste and pocket.

there are also organised excursions to explore the interior of the island call safari trips where you may have some experience with the sugar cane, the cocoa and coffee plants.

there are some nice caves on the way from santo domingo before getting to la romana called cuevas de las maravillas. also in bayahibe you have padre nuestro which you can hike to the caves.

if you are going to stay around the touristic area, keep plenty of dollars for excursions as they charge in pesos. when you travel around is best to have some pesos.
    the exchange rate is around 36 pesos per dollar these days

you can always email me if you have any doubts and happy staying

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines