Travel Answers
Bay of Plenty

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Christchurch to Greymouth (Tranzalpine to CChurch) OR Picton to Christchurch

New Zealand Sep 15, 2015 at 10:42 AM

Hello all!
      I have to decide if I will do 1) Mount Cook OR 2) take the boat (interislander) between Welly and Picton :
      1) Take a flight from Wellington to Christchurch, then go down to Mt Cook, Queenstown, Milford, Queenstown, the glaciers, Greymouth and then the train back to Christchurch OR
      2) Take the interislander from Wellignton to Picton, then to the glaciers, Queenstown, Milford and then back to Queenstown (flight to Christchuch).

If I choose option 1, I wont see Mount Cook
      If I choose option 2 I wont see the Cook Strait between Welly and Picton

Any ideas?

• For or Franz Josef

New Zealand Sep 22, 2015 at 9:21 AM

I will do the heli-hike on one of the 2 glaciers (one only) in January. I've got a couple of recommendations which are to do Fox instead of Franz Josef if I can do only one of them.

I am just wandering why? Why if Fox superior to Franz? Thanks!

• Hike by myself

New Zealand Sep 15, 2015 at 11:19 AM

Is it possible to walk that trail *3 hours without a guide? I mean by myself.. early in the morning then take the cruise then back to Te Anau the same day? I dont want to stay at Milfords...Anyway almost everything is booked in January...

Do I have tomake a reservation to walk to the Key summit?

• Hello! Franz Josef

New Zealand Sep 15, 2015 at 10:31 AM

I've been told that it's not possible anymore to hike on Franz Josef and that I would have to go to Fox if I want to walk on the glacier. Can somebody confirm? Thanks.

• Wanaka to Queenstown

New Zealand Sep 15, 2015 at 12:05 PM

I have read that the road to Queenstown to Wanaka via Crown Range is particularly challenging. How about in January? I have never driven the left side of the road...

• tips for young family

New Zealand Sep 13, 2015 at 11:37 PM

tips for young couple and 15 month old todder regards porta cots etc in family friendly accomm and purchasing a stroller close to Christchurch airport arriving late oct

• Ice/snow on the top...

New Zealand Sep 15, 2015 at 10:53 AM

Is it still possible to see these mounts/ Glaciers covered in snow/ice during the month of January (summer)? I've been told that the ice melted a lot during the last few years... I'd like to see snow covered mounts... Is it worth to go to Mount Cook during the summer?

• Coromandel

New Zealand Sep 22, 2015 at 9:24 AM

Hi! I will be a few days in the North Island in January. I have eliminated the Paihia area because there will be a lot of vacationers there at this time of the year and that accomodation is very expensive. I could go to Coromandel by car OR take a tour from Auckland... I'd like to see the cove (cathedral). But it seems to be complicated to get there... Perhaps a a tour that would allow me to see it from the sea? Any ideas?

P.S. Is it true that the area has been prohibited because there is a danger of rock collapse - near the cove?

• place to stay near pier in tauranga

Tauranga Feb 25, 2014 at 4:35 PM

looking for a last minute place to stay in Tauranga. For two nights near the pier for the cruise ship.e
      would appreciate knowing if there are any accommodations near the pier. Is the pier close to downtown

6 Answers Feb 25, 2014 at 7:53 PM
    • Motel Monterey

Rotorua Feb 9, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Hi, I canot find any contact details for Motel Monterey. I have stayed there a couple of times over the years and found both it's locality and price to be excellent. So, if I cannot book in here, I migh try the Havana Motor Lodge

4 Answers Feb 12, 2014 at 10:34 PM
    • shastashark's Profile Photo

one day in tauranga

Tauranga Jan 5, 2014 at 6:36 PM

hello! we'll be on a cruise ship and one of the stops is tauranga.

any recommendations on what to see and do there?

2 Answers Jan 5, 2014 at 8:22 PM
    • DebbieA16's Profile Photo

one night stay

Rotorua May 4, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Travelling December this year and will arrive in Rotorua at 1.00/2.00pm maybe earlier if we need to get there to catch a tour. Departing next day in the morning for the East Cape. Maybe go to Hells Gate in the morning when we leave. What suggestions of things to do in the afternoon and evening? Are there any afternoon tours etc? Also do you know of any accommodation that has undercover parking for motorbikes and air conditioning

2 Answers May 15, 2013 at 2:51 AM
    • mnutsy's Profile Photo

bus station storage

Rotorua Apr 28, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Can I leave my luggage at bus dtation for 2 hours?

5 Answers Apr 29, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Rotorua Mar 28, 2013 at 3:41 PM

What is quickest route from Tauranga to Rotorua Airport . State Highway 33 or Highway 36 ( Pyes Pa Rd)

2 Answers Mar 29, 2013 at 5:25 AM
    • Sulphur Fumes in Rotorua

Rotorua Jan 4, 2013 at 11:19 AM

We will be visiting Rotorua coming from Auckland, and heading towards Lake Taupo and Turangi. I am looking for accommodations now, and wondering if there is a particular area where sulphur fumes are strongest, and which to avoid if one won't be able to tolerate the smell. Would Lake Road area be better off?

2 Answers Jan 7, 2013 at 12:45 AM
    • running

Mount Maunganui Oct 14, 2012 at 12:13 AM

I was wanting to know if any one has ran up the mount for training if so what is it like and are you allowed to use the track anytime.

1 Answer Oct 14, 2012 at 12:17 AM
    • Which of three?

Rotorua Aug 6, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Which of the three is the best attraction - Te Puia, Waiotapu or Waikite? Or are they all too different?

2 Answers Aug 7, 2012 at 9:53 PM
    • sandeepgarg's Profile Photo

Few Hours in Rotorua!!

Rotorua Apr 18, 2012 at 3:59 AM

We are a family of 9 (4 adults, 1 senior and 4 children between 8-15 years), from INDIA.

We shall be arriving in Rotorua on the 11th May 2012, at about 6.30 pm or so, after our visit to Waitomo caves, enroute from Auckland.

We are staying the night at Novotel Lakeside. The next day at 12.25 we have the Air New Zealand flight to Queenstown, from the Rotorua Airport.

What is your suggestion that we do in the few hours we have in hand.

Should we do Whakarewarewa/Te Puia (or other Like Wai-O-Tapu, Waimangu Volcanic Vally, any other?) thermal area on the 12th May morning? Or should we go somewhere else or even avoid this completely?

All suggestions to make this stay worthwile will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

3 Answers Apr 18, 2012 at 9:59 PM
    • jeanacm's Profile Photo

Getting from AKL to Rotorua? (rent a car? bus?)

Rotorua Mar 4, 2012 at 5:31 PM

I'm landing at AKL and taking a couple of days to explore Rotorua before flying out of Rotorua to Wellington.

I'd like to rent a car so I have freedom to explore at my leisure, but it seems that the fees for renting a car out of AKL and dropping off at Rotorua airport are really high. - Any thoughts on a good / reasonably priced car rental service?

Would you recommend taking a bus to Rotorua and then renting a car from there?

Any advice would be appreciated.

2 Answers Mar 5, 2012 at 4:30 PM
    • How to do Rotorua in 6 hours

Rotorua May 18, 2011 at 7:56 AM

I have only about 6 hours in Rotorua. What is the one thing I should do? Is it easy to get to different things to do or are they all distant? I like natural things to see more than manmade. Any advice will be appreciated.

6 Answers Nov 1, 2011 at 9:53 AM
    • Need advise a good driving route for my coming rotorua trip

Rotorua Apr 10, 2011 at 8:00 AM

Dear all,

I and family will be visiting New Zealand on Aril 15-26 and will have 2 night and 1 day in Rotorua.

we would like to get some advise from member here on the best driving route to visit places(also get it from forum) below.

1. Waitamo Cave
      2. Kiwi House
      3. Tamaki Maori Village and Hangi
      4. Government Gardens
      5. Wai-o-tapu
      6. Waimangu
      7. Buried Village

We will be arriving Auckland on April 15 around 11am, we will likely start to hit the road with our rented car around 1pm. We wil spend 2 nights in Rororua before taking a flight over to Christchurch where we will spend the rest of the trip in south island.

btw, do we need to pre-book entry tickets for the above mentioned places please.

kindly advise if there is any other good places to visit

Thank you.

10 Answers Apr 14, 2011 at 2:25 PM
    • Cheese Factory and Chocolate Factory for visit

Rotorua Mar 9, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Could any one give me information on visiting cheese factories and chocolate factories nearby Hamilton and Rotorua? Thanks a lot.

4 Answers Mar 11, 2011 at 1:02 AM
    • Tour in Rotorua, Taupo and Waitomo Caves

Rotorua Feb 28, 2011 at 12:21 AM

Our family will spend around 10 days in Rotorua, Taupo and Waitomo Caves this end of June to early July.

We have figured out the following places to visit but do not know how to arrange them among these places and make an itinerary. Any ideas? Thanks a lot.

Rotorua (6 days)

Gondola and luge
      Frying pan lake-
      Hobbiton movie set and farmstay
      Te Puia Thermal Reserve
      Pohutu Geyser
      Hells Gate
      Whakarewarewa Forest
      polynesian spa
      Waiotapu Thermal activity-
      Farmstay (1 night)

Taupo (2 days)

Taupo Lake

Waitomo Caves (1 day)

Waitomo Caves

9 Answers Mar 25, 2011 at 12:52 AM
    • Info

Tauranga Apr 30, 2010 at 3:23 PM

Things to do, places to see, and paces to dine for groups.
      Email addresses

1 Answer Apr 30, 2010 at 4:05 PM
    • uktxgirl's Profile Photo

Wai-o-Tapu or Waimangu Volcanic Valley

Rotorua Mar 21, 2010 at 3:16 PM

My husband and I will have one day and two nights in Rotorua and would like to know which option would be most worthwhile. We've never been anywhere with geothermal activity, volcanic lakes etc. and we love to walk/hike. We're not so keen on very touristy attractions. I think we might be leaning toward the Waimangu Volcanic Valley, but we're open to any recommendations. Also, is it possible to pay one entrance fee and do all the hikes/walks in the Waimungu Valley, or are they all separate?

5 Answers Apr 14, 2010 at 7:31 AM
    • LindaHardy's Profile Photo

Transport from Tauranga to Rotorua

Rotorua Aug 15, 2009 at 12:00 AM

Hi, I shall be arriving by cruise ship in Tauranga later this year, spending just the day there, however I would like to visit some of the attractions at Rotorua, ie: Whaka, how do I get from Tauranga to Whaka by bus?, allowing enough time to see the attraction and return to Tauranga to board the ship later that same day. thank you.

5 Answers Aug 16, 2009 at 2:07 PM
    • A day and a half in Rotorua with a car

Rotorua Aug 11, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Hi there, my partner and I are travelling to Rotorua from Auckland and will have a night and full day to explore before leaving for Wellington. We will also have a car and we are trying to find the best way to spend our time? Does anyone have any recommendations or itineraries for that short time?

5 Answers Aug 12, 2009 at 11:46 AM
    • Holiday Park for large Family Reunion

Rotorua Dec 26, 2008 at 5:03 AM

Hi can anyone recommend a holiday park for a family reunion/70th birthday, 40-50 people. Self catering. Also needs to have a small hall or any kind of room with kitchen where we can all meet and share our time together. Early August.
      Thanks Jenny

2 Answers Jan 3, 2009 at 5:22 PM
    • New Years Eve in Rotorua

Rotorua Dec 21, 2008 at 1:54 PM

We will be soending New Years Eve in Rotorua with 3 teens and were thinking of doing the Luge, buffet and wanted to see the fireworks. They have 2 seatings. Does anyone know what time the fireworks are?

1 Answer Dec 22, 2008 at 2:10 PM
    • Te Puia vs. Whakarewarewa Maori Village

Rotorua Jul 29, 2008 at 7:43 AM

Are Te Puia and the Whakarewarewa Maori Village the same place?? If not, is one better to see than the other? Thanks.

2 Answers Jul 30, 2008 at 2:26 AM
    • CanadianFella's Profile Photo

Camp ground

Rotorua Jun 27, 2008 at 6:40 AM

Hi can anyone suggest a good place to camp (with camper van)in or near Rotorua in August? I have checked several out on the internet and while they all seem fine, I have learned that things often are very different in person.

Also, I am picking the camper up at Auckland airport and heading to Rotorua as my first stop/night. Where is the best place to stop and stock up with supplies and food stuffs between pick up and stopping at camp for night?

Thank you

5 Answers Jul 3, 2008 at 2:13 AM
    • Kingsgate Hotel Rotorua

Rotorua Jun 10, 2008 at 2:21 PM

Does the Kingsgate have a hairdryer in each room? Are there tea/coffee facilities in the room and a bar fridge?

1 Answer Jun 10, 2008 at 2:27 PM
    • Transportation via the Caves

Rotorua Mar 1, 2008 at 8:15 PM

I am planning a visit and my itinerary takes me from Auckland to Rotorua. I have learned about and found coach (bus) transportation from Rotorua to Auckland with a stop to tour the caves, but can't locate the trip in the reverse direction. Can anyone give me the name of a transport/tour company that would have such a trip? P.S. I'm having a similar problem with a one way from Queenstown to Christchurch including a stop at the Glacier in Mt. Cook, if you might have any information on that as well. I assume that the trips operate in both directions as the coaches have to return anyway.

1 Answer Mar 1, 2008 at 10:29 PM
    • Authentic Hangi

Rotorua Feb 13, 2008 at 7:20 AM

My husband & I are looking for a hangi that is still cooked in the most traditional way - underground. I've found 2 companies that offer an "authentic" hangi. One is Mitai Maori Village & the other is Tamaki Maori Village. Any comments on which would give us the most traditional experience. Or any other company?

Or if you know of one on the South Island we'll be at Nelson, Fox Glacier, Queenstown, Te Anua, Dunedin & Christchurch.

3 Answers Feb 13, 2008 at 11:39 AM
    • lbeck's Profile Photo

How can I get from boat dock to Mount Maunganui?

Mount Maunganui Feb 11, 2008 at 12:41 PM

Sorry to double-post. I posted this on the NZ site before I found that there is a site for Mount Maunganui.

My wife and I will be on a Princess Cruise to NZ, along with 4 other couples. We have a friend who spent her teen years in Tauranga, NZ and she said that we shouldn't miss Mount Maunganui. We were looking for a short (1-3 mile) hike and she thinks that is doable. I Googled Mount Maunganui and I think she is talking about the mountain in the Manao (sp?) reserve.

Princess doesn't have an excursion there, but we'll be a full say in Tauranga and I'm thinking of booking a trip there. Do any of you know anything about where the boat will dock and what kind of local transportation is available (tour buses etc.) that could take us from the ship to the Manao (sp?) reserve?

10 Answers Feb 14, 2008 at 1:07 PM
    • auztrav's Profile Photo

auckland - Rotorua - in a day

Rotorua Dec 8, 2007 at 2:57 PM

Is this possible? I would like to visit the Paradise springs lions, mud pits, hot springs and hangi.....

I am travelling alone, so not sure how to get the airport a fair way out?

I am hoping it can be done in a day, early out of auckland, late back etc.

11 Answers Dec 15, 2007 at 10:22 PM
    • car rental

Tauranga Sep 10, 2007 at 4:57 PM

We will be in Tauranga on Nov 18th and plan to rent a car to drive to Roatura and back. I have received quotes from both New Zealand Car Rental and Rite Price rental. Can anyone advise regarding these rental companies? Thanks for the help

1 Answer Sep 17, 2007 at 1:45 PM
    • Car hire recommendations?

Rotorua Aug 14, 2007 at 2:05 PM

Hi all, my soon to be wife and I are spending our honeymoon in New Zealand (can't wait!) and we're after some recommendations for car hire companies as we've been reading quite a lot of reports of hidden charges and poor service, so I thought I'd post a request for recommendations and see what other peoples experiences were and hopefully get some good advice. We're looking to hire a car in Rotorua for 7 days and would like to minimise our risk in terms of insurance liability.

Many thanks in advance :)

3 Answers Sep 11, 2007 at 8:35 AM