Bay of Islands Travel Answers

change location

2 days to Bay of Islands

by Colleen52 Online Now Jul 18, 2007 at 5:51 PM

We will be in Auckland for a couple of days before our cruise. Would we be better to take a commercial tour to the Bay of Islands or to hire a car and drive ourselves?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • SLLiew's Profile Photo

Re: 2 days to Bay of Islands

by SLLiew Online Now Jul 18, 2007 at 8:34 PM

I always like to drive around. My opinion, 2 days may be a rush to Bay of Islands from Auckland? and back. I find NZ roads narrow, winding though traffic is low. The views are awesome.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • vtveen's Profile Photo

by vtveen Online Now Jul 19, 2007 at 12:16 AM

I would recommend staying around Auckland (just for a couple of days).
    You could easily spend one day in the city and another in the surrounding areas:
    Waitakere Ranges with the beaches of Karekare and Piha or the gannet colony of Muriwai, or take a ferry to Devonport, Rangitoto or Waiheke Island.

If you just have 2 days and still want to visit the bay of Islands I would take a tour instread of driving yourself.

happy travels
    jaap

• allikat's Profile Photo

by allikat Online Now Jul 19, 2007 at 2:48 PM

I prefer to self drive - I think it gives you more flexibility. But if you are on a time-budget then some of the coach tours to the area do a great job of making sure you see at least the highlights.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

by Mikebb Online Now Jul 23, 2007 at 3:14 PM

Hi When are you going, we were there last week during the floods, road slides and closures and had to retreat to Auckland, then saw on TV the problems caused by rough seas to the cruise ship and passengers. If weather is good it is an easy drive along Highway 1, aprox 3.5 hours drive. Check out cost of tour and thenevaluate, with a tour you are certain to see the main attractions.
    Good Luck,
    Mike

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines