Bavaria Travel Answers

change location
rondoseq's Profile Photo

Hotel/Pension Walk-ins

by rondoseq Online Now Apr 1, 2010 at 7:19 PM

A friend and I are travelling to Germany for Oktoberfest this year and plan to make hotel reservations in Munich. We also want to travel south between Mittenwald and Berchtesgaden. How difficult is it to get a room in a hotel or pension in this part of Bavaria as a walk-in?

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • vtveen's Profile Photo

Re: Hotel/Pension Walk-ins

by vtveen Online Now Apr 2, 2010 at 12:15 AM

depends a little bit of the time of the week and weather (weekend and beautiful mountain weather), but normally it would be no problem to find a room.

happy travels
    Jaap

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • margsch's Profile Photo

by margsch Online Now Apr 2, 2010 at 1:56 AM

As the Passion Play will be on in Oberammergau as well as additional tourists for Oktoberfest I would book Hotels now simply because you may be restricted on choice later on. I would suggest looking outside of Munich itself as Hotels charge a lot in Munich for Hotels when O,fest is on, Garmisch-Partenkirchen is an easy train ride from Munich, about 80 minutes, and you would be only a short distance from Mittenwald.

• Turska's Profile Photo

by Turska Online Now Apr 2, 2010 at 11:29 AM

When we went München two years ago we had huge troubble finding a hotel at June,even if there was nothing special going on.Only most expensive ones had rooms left.We needed to stay in youth hostel.It was noisy,and it costed allmost as much as real hotel.I higly recommend to book a hotel as early as possible!

• globetrott's Profile Photo

by globetrott Online Now Apr 2, 2010 at 1:28 PM

It certainly makes sense to book a hotel for Munich in advance, especially during O'fest.
    Same thing around Berchtesgaden and Mittenwald, because many hotels in this part of Bavaria would not accept tourists not staying a minimum of a 4-5 days or a full week.

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Apr 2, 2010 at 9:09 PM

The Passion Play in Oberammergau ends on 3 October (as does Oktoberfest in Munich), so if you travel at this time it will be difficult to find accommodation in the area without booking.

If you travel after 3 October in the Mittenwald/Berchtesgaden region there should not be a problem as there are no school holidays.

For Munich you should try to find accommodation already now, as the run during Oktoberfest is unbelievable.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines