Bassano del Grappa Travel Answers

change location
traveloki's Profile Photo

PLease help-Lusiana

by traveloki Online Now Jul 8, 2010 at 9:32 AM

Hello, new here.

We're visiting Italy in Sept and are going to try to see Lusiana. This is where my grandfather was born and raised until he emigrated to the US, and I am hopeful that we can see his place of birth and perhaps some church records.

Because this is such a small community, little information can be found on the web (or maybe I am research-challenged). Does anyone know of how I can hire a guide of some sort for a day or so? We'll have our own car and may stay in an agriturismo in Lusiana.

Many thanks, in advance.

Quote & Answer
12 Answers
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: PLease help-Lusiana

by mccalpin Online Now Jul 8, 2010 at 12:04 PM

I don't suppose you can read Italian?

The official website for the city is http://www.comune.lusiana.vi.it/
    The website is 100% in Italian (except for the 4 quotes on the homepage that say what a nice place it was in 1598 - these appear to be in Italian, Italian dialect (perhaps Tuscan), High German, and High German dialect (perhaps Switzerdeutsch) ).

But on the off chance that you have a translation website that does Italian to English tolerably well (none do it really well), note the following pages:
    1. comune.lusiana.vi.it/informa...
    This is information about the town, including the history of the town's name, its location and extent, and the history of the town.
    2. comune.lusiana.vi.it/servizi...
    This is the list of churches, parks, towers, and palazzi that one can visit.
    3. comune.lusiana.vi.it/servizi...
    At the top, some places to eat (no guarantee to be up to date), and at the bottom, some agriturismo places to stay,
    4. http://www.vitourism.it/
    The tourism website for the province of Vicenza (which is where Lusiana is).

Does that help?

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • traveloki's Profile Photo

by traveloki Online Now Jul 8, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Thanks for the information. I can read Italian fairly well and have also found the Lusiana website. We have contacted several of the B&B's and have not been successful (no availablity, no information on someone who could be a guide for us). I have an email into one of the agriturismos and am hopeful that we can find someplace to rest our head and also a helpful local who could introduce us to the town of our heritage.

My next step is to contact the town directly through the website and see if perhaps they know of someone.

I posted here because I thought perhaps someone around the area might know how best to go about this-thanks so much for your kind reply.

by traveloki Online Now Jul 8, 2010 at 1:23 PM

Also Bill, since you seem to be the guy to ask:

We'll be there for a total of 16 days-4 in Rome on the front end, traveling to Pordenone and grabbing a car (also checking out the base at Aviano), then several days of "freedom", unscheduled time in Northern Italy. Our plan is to spend a day or two in Lusiana, but we'd love any suggestions on other places. It's breathtakingly beautiful up there, it's one of our top choices for retirement if we can find real estate in a fair price range. After that, we drive down to Venice for 4 days, then back to Rome. Any must-sees other than the standard tourist fare, in any of the places I've mentioned? We love art and museums, but love people, offbeat travel, and food and wine more!

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Jul 8, 2010 at 3:29 PM

Aha! This is a pleasant surprise that you can make do in Italian - too often, the best stuff is still not in English...or if it is in English, the content is different (and more out of date) than the Italian ;-)

Unfortunately, in terms of specifics for this area, I lived in Lazio far to the south and never spent much time in this lovely area of Italy...I suppose it might have been different had the OSU (Official Spousal Unit) spent time at Air Force bases in temperate climates as a child (her dad was a JAG officer), but, instead, they spent his career at SAC bases like in Okinawa (sweatsweat) and the upper peninsula of Michigan (brrrr)....

As for Vicenza, the thing I have missed is all the stuff built by Palladio. When my wife takes me on colonial-era tours on the East Coast (OK, her dad ended up in Alexandria where he retired, so I have done many visits there), we noticed what an impact that Palladio had on early American architecture...not being of the architect bent, I had no idea...and since you have a car, this means that you get to drive around to the country villas he designed, which are the buildings that the colonials imitated (as opposed to the urban buildings and churches). So to me it would be fun driving around the province of Vicenza finding all those buildings that look like they could have been planted in the American colonies in the 1700s ;-)

Hmmmn, I see this at a7c.it/musei_altopiano_sette...
    "A Lusiana - una rete di siti mussali dislocati nel territorio ne valorizza le particolarità, a partire dal MUSEO PALAZZON che documenta le “tradizioni della gente di Lusiana”. Qui rivivono il cortile con l’attività artigianale della paglia e la produzione di borse e cappelli, la cucina con il focolare e gli utensili di un tempo, la cantina con gli attrezzi della vinificazione, della distillazione e della conservazione degli alimenti; la casara con le fasi della trasformazione del latte, dalla mungitura al formaggio.

Museo Palazzon - Lusiana

Ufficio del Turismo di Lusiana 0424/406009 uff_segr_lusiana@libero.it"

So, no website, but at least a telephone number and an email address for someone claiming to be the Tourism Office in Lusiana. See a7c.it/musei_altopiano_sette...

Hmmmn, now that we know that Lusiana is on the Altopiano dei Sette Comuni (the plateau of the 7 cities), let's look at vitourism.it/a_ITA_8341_1.ht... back at the Vicenza provincial tourism site, and see if there is anything of interest here...hmmmmn...events, tourism offices (but not in Lusiana itself), shopping...with a car and since you're there anyway, you might find other stuff to do in the other towns...

If all that fails, you might go back to the Vicenza provincial website which yields the following page: vitourism.it/a_309_IT_2559_1...
    These are tour guides who speak various languages, as you see. Even if they are only for the city, I have to believe that (1) they might know someone willing to go the 35 kilometers up to Lusiana, and (2) that they will answer your emails (they are in the business, after all).

On the other hand, perhaps you have found this stuff already...well, let's see who else stops by...

Bill

• oriettaIT's Profile Photo

by oriettaIT Online Now Jul 8, 2010 at 11:51 PM

I cant help you much about finding a guide in Lusiana but, you are right, there are plenty of wonderful places in this area. I live in Padova and I visit Bassano and several other villages in the area quite often, I have some pages here about it, you can look up Asolo, Castelfranco, Piazzola sul Brenta, Marostica and than, coming a little bit souther you can look up Montagnana, Monselice, Colli Euganei and a lot more.
    If it happen to be here from the 4th to the 19th September, check out this page giostradellarocca.it/pagina...., In Monselice they will be having a medieval tournament. I think i have some more info about it on my Monselice page too, sorry i am in a hurry right now so i cant go back to check. Around the same days there is also the human chees tournament in Marostica, look here marosticascacchi.it/a_6_IT_1....

Feel free to ask me any question about this area, I know it very well and I will be happy to give more details. I also have good restaurants references almost in any village i mentioned as we like good food a lot :-))

by traveloki Online Now Jul 9, 2010 at 9:30 AM

Bill-I knew you were a pro, thanks! Many of your recommendations were new to me, we have been busy with our various home improvement projects and I have not had significant time to research.

I actually just moved from Okinawa, 4 lovely years. I found it to be the best duty station we ever had, oh! the beach, the food, the people. Hard to leave but retirement called us.

I tried to contact the Lusiana tourism address and got my email kicked back (yahoo AND gmail). I had a similar problem when I tried the official Lusiana website.

I will persevere...

THANKS!

• microsensazione's Profile Photo

by microsensazione Online Now Jul 9, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Hello!
    I live only 50km far from Lusiana, I could help you!

Lusiana could be a "Pre-Alp community" and usually on this communities people have a great feeling with foreign having "roots" in our Country.
    The association interested about is usually called "Pro-Loco".
    I have taken a look about Pro-Loco in Lusiana (Vicenza province, not so far from Marostica and Bassano del Grappa; is it true?).

I have this mail address: info@a7c.it

I suggest to try to contact them.
    Feel you free to contact me again in case of no answer because they could believe your mail is spam. I'll try to keep them in contact with you speaking Italian language. OK?

Where to book...
    ..."Marostica" or "Bassano del Grappa".
    Anyway for the moment I think it's more important to keep a contact with Lusiana community because I know sometimes they also accommodate ex migrants, or sons, in their homes without asking 1 euro!

Welcome in my Country!
    Fabrizio

by microsensazione Online Now Jul 9, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Maybe this mail address could be better:

Lusiana@a7c.it

Bye!

by traveloki Online Now Jul 12, 2010 at 4:40 AM

Fabrizio,

Thank you for all your information-it is a huge help. I will contact the Pro Loco for Lusiana, and see if I can hear back. As for a place to stay, it is not an issue, we are very flexible travelers and already have a reservation for 3 of 4 days. We plan on just "hanging out", we'd like to explore, but as far as Lusiana, we'd just like to experience the home of my husband's grandfather. Mingle with the locals, try the cuisine and wine, and perhaps take some time to see if we can locate records or birthplace. And of course, take in the beautiful scenery. We are coming from Rome and when we leave we head to Venice, so we consider this a "vacation" away from some of the more tourist areas.

Since you live so close, do you have any restaurant or other specific recommendations? We'll be driving in from around the Pordenone area so we are really flexible on where we can go. We like to travel without planning too much detail, some of our most memorable moments occur when we just let life "happen".

I just tried to contact the Pro Loco via another email address (several of my US accounts do not go through to .it addresses. If I do not hear from them, I will certainly contact you if that's OK? I put in our family name, in the Italian spelling, and I am sure there are still relatives there. As a matter of fact, the last time I checked a few years ago, the mayor had my family name!

Also, I'd love to hear about your home town...if you have time.

Grazie, thank you, (and a little Japanese for good luck-domo arigato!)

Ashley

by traveloki Online Now Jul 12, 2010 at 5:29 AM

Orietta,

Just browsed some of your pages and thank you so much for your information. We will be there at the very end of September so I will check to see if the dates will match.

It seems you are an expert at the area, and I hope to narrow down some cities that we'll be visiting. Since we'll be in a car, I think we'll just get up with the sun like we do at home and just enjoy being in such a beautiful place. We have dreams of retirement in Northern Italy and perhaps someday we can purchase a place.

In the meantime, any restaurants in Bassano del Grappa and Asolo that you highly recommend?

Thank you,
    Ashley

• oriettaIT's Profile Photo

by oriettaIT Online Now Jul 12, 2010 at 6:15 AM

Near Asolo I HIGLY reccomend a restaurant in Monfumo, we found it for accident wondering around the area and it was a blast! you can check it out here Asolo Restaurant Tips by painterdave, my boyfriend was less lazy than me and reviewed it :-))
    In Bassano we had a good lunch here Bassano del Grappa Restaurant Tips by oriettaIT, There is also another place we have not been yet but that we want to try out soon as I read good reviews about it is called Ristorante al Ponte http://www.alpontedibassano.com/ it is in a wonderful location, right after the famous bridge and with a nice pergola.

by microsensazione Online Now Jul 12, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Ashley,
    about Lusiana and possible issues using ".it" don't worry. If you need I'm glad to help you.
    About restaurants I can say Orietta is giving you great suggestions and I'm sure about 'cause I live less than 15km far from Monfumo and Asolo! It makes a particular effect to find suggestions of local restaurants in a web site known by over a million of people all around the world!

Orietta has called in my mind the following web site if you are interested in some events on Veneto region:
    http://www.veneto.to/web/guest

You also talk about going around by car: great!
    You mentioned Pordenone. I suggest to search on Google Maps "Via del Santuario marsure pordenone italy". There is a sanctuary (Madonna del Monte) from there you experience a good panorama; it's not so far from Pordenone.
    Moving to the west, a great experience could be to go from Vittorio Veneto to Valdobbiadene following one of the local roads! I suggest to discover the one passing through "Miane", "Combai", "Santo Stefano". The hills are completely full of rows of vines! By them the "Conegliano Valdobbiadene PROSECCO Superiore" wine is produced (take a look on: http://new.prosecco.it/en/).
    In that area one famous restaurant is "Da Gigetto" (http://www.ristorantedagigetto.it/); I never stayed there because, even if its high quality is well known, I prefer to search for the "unknown, undiscovered and offbeat" restaurants. One sample? Osteria "Osti-nati" located in Biadene (Treviso province) (http://www.osti-nati.it/) ;-)

My small country village?
    Very very small, less than 1,300 inhabitants but...
    ...but we have two pizzerias!!!
    One of the two pizzerias is interesting: the ambience is into a renewed historic shelter for farm implements. Take a look on:
    http://www.villapola.com/
    Only Italian language available.
    I live opposite the building appearing on the home page!

http://www.barcon.it/
    Many things about my small village; only Italian language available.

Feel you welcome in our Country, feel you welcome in Veneto region!
    Fabrizio

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Bassano del Grappa