Barstow Travel Answers

change location

overnight stay

by albionkev Online Now Nov 19, 2008 at 3:47 PM

Hi,
We are a group of 6 guys travelling from England.We are travelling from LAX to our final destination of LasVegas to celebrate a milestone 40th birthday.On route we are visiting DeathValley and have made the journey in one hit on several occasions.This is getting harder and harder.Over the last twelve years or more there seems to be a lot more congestion on the interstates. The journey time is too much particularly after an eleven hour flight.We are looking to stay about half way between LA and DV.Barstow seems to fit the bill as we would like to visit Calico the next morning.Could anyone suggest a reasonable motel to stay at,resonable priced diners and a good friendly bar or two nearby within walking distance would be great.
thanks
Kev

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • johngayton's Profile Photo

Re: overnight stay

by johngayton Online Now Nov 19, 2008 at 4:05 PM

Yep, Barstow's a pretty cool, odd-bod of a place. I've only been once (on an unpreplanned overnight stop) and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express which was OK but a bit out of town. I did notice a couple of cheap-looking motels closer to downtown once I'd arrived which I would assume have plenty of spare rooms for an overnight stay without pre-booking - though I cetainly wouldn't attempt to make recommendations about them.

Friendliest bar I found was "Mollie's" on the main drag and there's a "Coco's Bakery" pretty much next door which is an OK diner. There is a sort of freebie downtown shuttle service but it's not official.

If you relate to Hunter S Thompson this is the sort of town you'll enjoy ;)

Have a goood trip!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Nov 19, 2008 at 4:09 PM

Hi. There is a large outlet mall just before you arrive in Barstow. There are a lot of motels and restaurants all around it. I suspect you can just walk into any of them and get a couple rooms for the night. Equally sure you will have no trouble getting some drinks in the area . . . and even shopping if you like outlets. LOL

I'm not sure what is in downtown Barstow but I vaguely remember a very nice Mexican restaurant. Perhaps someone will log on with a name and address for you. There is a railroad museum in town you might enjoy. Calico Ghost Town is lots of fun; you'll enjoy it.

Enjoy your trip. Wise decision to take a break on the drive to Las Vegas. Yes, you can do it, but after a long flight, it's not much fun and you are wiped out when you get to your destination.

• Martinewezel's Profile Photo

by Martinewezel Online Now Nov 20, 2008 at 10:43 AM

In Spring we stayed at the Best Western in Barstow. It was ok, and the included breakfast was not bad. The only minus is the location, in a rather dangerous bend.
    And concerning Calico... are you sure you want to go there? We had big expectations, and the visit to the old miner's town was the reason why we stopped in Barstow, but this turned out into a big bummer! There is nothing, really nothing special to see. And the staff of Calico is not motivated neither friendly. The restaurant was closed. The only very spectacular experience was the strong wind. At least we now know how hard it was to live there. Hats off for those who survived there. Perhaps it might be worth a short stroll after all.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines