Barroe Travel Answers

change location
Gaeilgeoir's Profile Photo

Gaeilge agus Gaelscoileanna i gContae Mhaigheo Oirthearach

by Gaeilgeoir Online Now Jul 5, 2004 at 11:14 PM

Are there many Gaelscoileanna (Irish-medium schools) in eastern Mayo? Do people in that part of Mayo use Irish at all in their everyday speech? My Grandmother came from Barroe (Barr Rua) near Charlestown. From what I've learned she attended such a school, with all her subjects in Irish. She moved to the States early on around 18 or 19 and returned to Ireland several times before she died. Go raibh maith agaibh. Is mise, le meas, ~_~Mícheál

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • orlikins's Profile Photo

Re: Gaeilge agus Gaelscoileanna i gContae Mhaigheo Oirthearach

by orlikins Online Now Jul 6, 2004 at 12:42 AM

Mayo isnt much of a Gaeltacht spot anymore, but maybe in the very very very remote areas, you could well find a couple of Gaelgoirs. Check out http://www.gaelscoileanna.ie to help you locate some Irish-speaking schools. Ta Gaeilge an-mhaith agat! :) Orla

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • donalh's Profile Photo

Re: Gaeilge agus Gaelscoileanna i gContae Mhaigheo Oirthearach

by donalh Online Now Jul 6, 2004 at 2:52 AM

We are, presumably, talking of the 1920's/30's here where a large number of, particularly rural, schools would have been taught through the medium of Irish. Gaelscoilenna are more of a recent phenomenon and would now be considered intellectually trendy (ironically). When the treaty was signed in 1922 and the civil war began, speaking Irish would have been seen as quite a political thing - it would have been seen as a good indicator of which side you were backing !! D

• Re: Gaeilge agus Gaelscoileanna i gContae Mhaigheo Oirthearach

by RichieKeane Online Now Jul 6, 2004 at 1:12 PM

mayo has several gaeltacht areas , mostly in north west mayo on the mullet penninsulia , geesala/ doohoma and all along the noth coast to ballycastle. There is another area in south mayo around the town of tourmakeady which is also in the gaeltacht. English would be the spoken language in the majority of these places but most people would be fairly fluent in Irish There are several gaelscoileanna both primary and post primary in mayo. some of the primary ( up to the age of 12-13) have sprung up in the towns over the past few years but some have been on the go for many years. as far as i know there are 2 post primary schools (ages 12-18) in mayo, one of them in Rossport in north mayo and the other in Tourmakeady on the shores of Lough Mask . Contacts for Irish post primary schools are School name: Coláiste Chomáin Address: Ros Dumhach, Co Mhaigh Eo Phone: 097-88940 Principal: Mícheál Ó hÉalaithe Founded: School name: Coláiste Mhuire Address: Tuar Mhic Éadaigh, Co Mhaigh Eo Phone: 094-9544107 Principal: Máire Ní Mhóráin Founded Contacts for irish primary schools School name: Gaelscoil na gCeithre Maol Address: Lochan na nBradán, Béal an Átha, Co Mhaigh Eo Phone: 096-73828 Principal: Clodagh Ní Mhaoilchiaráin Founded: 1998 School name: Gaelscoil na Cruaiche Address: Sráid Altamount, Cathair na Mart, Co Mhaigh Eo Phone: 098-28121 Principal: Mairéad Ní Ruáin Founded: 1995 School name: Gaelscoil Uileog de Búrca Address: Lochán na mBan, Clár Clainne Mhuiris, Co Mhaigh Eo Phone: 094-9362000 Principal: Máire Uí Dhinnéide Founded: 1983 School name: Scoil Raiftéirí Address: Faiche an Aonaigh, Caisleán an Bharraigh, Co Mhaigh Eo Phone: 094-9024700 Principal: Máire T Uí Dhálaigh Founded: 1983

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines