Bari Travel Answers

change location

Train travel from Rome Intl Airport to Bari

by denisegb Online Now Feb 2, 2013 at 7:09 AM

Will be arriving Rome Intl Airport in May 2013. What terminal do I need to get to for train travel to Bari. Sites that I have been to indicate I need to get from airport to Roma Termini. Is Roma Termini where I get the Eurorail to Bari?

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • yvr's Profile Photo

Re: Train travel from Rome Intl Airport to Bari

by yvr Online Now Feb 2, 2013 at 7:27 AM

Yes

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 2, 2013 at 7:27 AM

1. There is no such thing as Eurorail. The national railways are "Trenitalia" or "Ferrovie dello Stato" (the former being a brand name).

2. There is only one train termini at Fiumicino Airport...it's all the way at the end, as I recall, but the way is very well signed.

3. There are 2 trains that leave from here: Leonardo Express and the FR1/FM1. You want the Leonardo Express, as the other train doesn't go to Termini.

4. The Leonardo Express leaves every 30 minutes and takes 35 minutes to get to Termini. The fare is 14.00 euro.

5. Once at Termini, you can go out to the lobby and use the self service ticket machines (the tall ones, not the short ones) to buy the ticket to Bari.

6. Just buy a ticket for the next train to Bari, there should be several over the day.

Bill

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 2, 2013 at 7:27 AM

You will be arriving at Rome Fiumicino airport, I assume.

There is no such thing as 'Eurorail'. Eurorail is a ticketing agency. Italian trains are almost all run by Trenitalia, and that is where you are best to find your information (the website has an English version...see below).

From Fiumicino airport you can take the speedy direct train to Rome Termini station. The station is within the airport terminal itself, and well-signed. Trains run every 30 minutes, one-way fare is 14 euro:

trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.j...

You'll find train times, details and fares from Fiumicino>Termin and from Rome>Bari (and all other Italian trains) in English on the official Italian railway website here:

trenitalia.com/homepage_en.h...

Or, if you prefer, you could take a taxi from the airport (fixed rate 48 euro to places within the Aurelian Walls..Termini station is within them, just about) or a bus:

terravision.eu/rome_fiumicin...

http://www.sitbusshuttle.com/

Whichever route you choose (both buses terminate at Termini station), you will take the train to Bari from Rome Termini. Journey time is form around 4 hours, with a standard fare of 54 euro on the faster Frecciarossa trains and 43.50 euro on the slower Intercity train.

Ticket machines at Termini are easy to use and have English language options. They accept cash and give change, and will also accept cards with chip & PIN.

• markschaaf's Profile Photo

by markschaaf Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 12:43 PM

The only thing i would add to anyone's comments it to be sure to validate your ticket before you get on the train. The people who run the trains tent to get a little ticket off if you don't and you could be fined for not doing so as well.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 8:47 AM

You do not have to validate tickets which are for specific departures on trains where you are assigned or have reserved a seat (e.g. the Freccia and IC trains).

Validation is required for regional trains, which are not for specific departures and where it is not possible to reserve a specific seat.

Non-validation of tickets carries an on-the-spot fine (same on buses and trams) for obvious reasons: if non-departure-specific tickets were not validated (date and time-stamped) then people could use them again and again and again.

• markschaaf's Profile Photo

by markschaaf Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Leics is correct about not having to validate on the type of train she is talking about, I just like to make sure that people know about validating there ticket so they at least check into it since many people won't know when to and not to do it.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines